What do you say?

honeysuckle.

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm on my fourth month trying to conceive after getting married in late June. I'm 37. I have been open with all about trying to conceive but what do you say to those people who just seem so clueless-like when they ask how's it going? Well, clearly since I'm not pregnant it's not working yet. The whole age thing seems to hang in the air during these conversations. Any advice offered would be swell. Thanks!

I hope you don't get to the point I'm at (over 2 years) but I'm getting past the smile/be coy stage and on to the stare at them with an eye twitch until they walk away stage :blush: most people get it, but there are a couple that are relentless!! I have not been open about ttc, but got married 2 years ago, so people think that gives them license to be nosy. The one or two people I have confided in know that it drives me mental, and often run interference for me (like changing the subject when someone gets awkward with me!)

There's always GFY...go phuck yourself...I find that works too, LOL

D-mom-She looks a little like both-go the Chi coloring (buff) with the hot dog body and big Chi ears. Very cute.

Hi all,
I'm on my fourth month trying to conceive after getting married in late June. I'm 37. I have been open with all about trying to conceive but what do you say to those people who just seem so clueless-like when they ask how's it going? Well, clearly since I'm not pregnant it's not working yet. The whole age thing seems to hang in the air during these conversations. Any advice offered would be swell. Thanks!

I hereby give you permission to ask them an equally rude and clueless question.

A well-timed, "Are those your real tits?" can work wonders. Especially if they're a man.

If they aren't part of my "inner circle" and don't know we're ttc, I tell them, "If you're not God and you're not my husband, it's none of your damned business." If they're especially rude about it, or if I'm feeling especially snarky, I'll tell them I've just had my third miscarriage and would they like to see the placenta? :growlmad:

If they are part of the inner circle, I respond that they will know when there is something to tell, and in the meantime, please don't ask because it adds to the pressure I feel.

And virtually everyone gets my lecture about how it's really not a topic for small talk because they never know who is hurt by the asking. I really don't care if my responses make the asker uncomfortable - their question made me uncomfortable.

I had this same issue and took the advice of the most excellent and wise Happy Auntie!! It shuts them up and might stop them hurting someone else!

I use the same answer as HA :thumbup:

Although I have been known to say "so you want to know if I'm having sex with my husband?" That makes them go red and get lost very quickly.

I have the opposite problem. I have 3 small children, and bearly anyone asks if I'm going to have anymore. :nope: It's like I've met my quota or something. They all assume that I wouldn't want anymore.

In fact, as soon as my third was born, and a girl after 2 boys, everyone under the sun said, "Now that you have a girl, you can be done." :growlmad:

What's really creepy is when they laugh and say "are you having fun trying?!". My aunts said that this summer and it made me feel kinda slimy.
Yes, Chiweenies are cute! Mine was mutt from the pound, and not a designer dog.

I have the opposite problem. I have 3 small children, and bearly anyone asks if I'm going to have anymore. :nope: It's like I've met my quota or something. They all assume that I wouldn't want anymore.

In fact, as soon as my third was born, and a girl after 2 boys, everyone under the sun said, "Now that you have a girl, you can be done." :growlmad:

I get that too ( I already have 4 ) so people assume I am done and have the nerve to tell me I have enough already .

I get that too ( I already have 4 ) so people assume I am done and have the nerve to tell me I have enough already .

:dohh:

That's just wrong on so many levels.

There's a girl at work who is pregnant with her second. Her first will be one at the beginning of November. She's 27. She bought an OPK digital kit and got lucky within a couple of months and then again with the second. Before she managed to get pregnant she used to talk to me about ttc, but now I totally try to avoid her and especially the subject! She's a bit insensitive anyway but she can't go more than one sentence without mentioning her pregnancy and it's like we're living it with her!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->