What do you think of this girls name

There is a breed of horse named gypsy vanner. So in the USA at least it's not considered offensive or racial.

ETA -
And a reality TV show.. and a few other things I am sure.

No, it is definitely considered offensive toward Romani people in the U.S. (especially women). Some people still don't recognize it as a racial slur but it is ... think about, for example, "Eskimo pie." Eskimo is a pretty rude slur but you still see it used because people didn't care in the past and it's still lingering.

We're slowly getting better at respecting people's racial heritage but a lot of hateful terms are still holding on.

I understand it's your choice to name your child but you also need to realize this is a whole human being you're naming. What might be cute on a toddler is one day going to belong to a 22-year-old woman looking for jobs, or a 40-year-old woman in the board room, or a 60-year-old woman meeting new people and introducing herself.

If my parents had named me something offensive I'd be devastated by it once I was old enough to understand. I'd hate to think of hurting someone with my name alone.

I was not wanting to name my kid that. I was just tossing out there what I knew of the use of the word gypsy in the USA. Because again, it is a known horse breed.
https://vanners.org

I have never heard the word used in a offensive manner. Maybe I need to get out more. *shrug* ignorance is bliss.

Yes, sorry, the rest of my post was directed at the OP. I get that it's hard to see a word as offensive or hurtful if you've never heard it that way. We have "gypsy" Halloween costumes and everything. But it does come from a negative place. It doesn't mean you're a bad person for using it innocently, just that once you know it's good to keep that in mind!

I also remembered that the only person I've heard of named Gypsy is Gypsy Rose Blanchard, which isn't the greatest association.

Yes, sorry, the rest of my post was directed at the OP. I get that it's hard to see a word as offensive or hurtful if you've never heard it that way. We have "gypsy" Halloween costumes and everything. But it does come from a negative place. It doesn't mean you're a bad person for using it innocently, just that once you know it's good to keep that in mind

I also remembered that the only person I've heard of named Gypsy is Gypsy Rose Blanchard, which isn't the greatest association.

I’ve never heard of that person, but she was probably named after the famous musical character, Gypsy Rose Lee. Also not sure a burlesque dancer is the greatest namesake!

I agree that Gypsy and “gypped” are ethnic slurs.

Well I have now changed my mind and I am thinking of naming her Hannah

Yes, sorry, the rest of my post was directed at the OP. I get that it's hard to see a word as offensive or hurtful if you've never heard it that way. We have "gypsy" Halloween costumes and everything. But it does come from a negative place. It doesn't mean you're a bad person for using it innocently, just that once you know it's good to keep that in mind

I’ve never heard of that person, but she was probably named after the famous musical character, Gypsy Rose Lee. Also not sure a burlesque dancer is the greatest namesake!

I agree that Gypsy and “gypped” are ethnic slurs.[/QUOTE]

I personally like it and I'm in the US and have never thought of it as offensive in the slightest. There's some reality shows called my big fat gypsy wedding and american gypsy or something like that and they proudly call themselves gypsies on it. My friend who worked at a bar had a dog named gypsy and it was the bar mascot, not one person was ever offended by the name. OP, if you live in the US I think gypsy may be a much more acceptable name than if you live in Europe. Go with what you love, unique names have a way of working their way into people's hearts once the baby is here.

I personally like it and I'm in the US and have never thought of it as offensive in the slightest. There's some reality shows called my big fat gypsy wedding and american gypsy or something like that and they proudly call themselves gypsies on it. My friend who worked at a bar had a dog named gypsy and it was the bar mascot, not one person was ever offended by the name. OP, if you live in the US I think gypsy may be a much more acceptable name than if you live in Europe. Go with what you love, unique names have a way of working their way into people's hearts once the baby is here.

Those shows have received backlash for the stereotypes they portray (and lets face it, reality tv isn't really real), the ad campaigns, and the titles. As for the individuals on that show calling themselves gypsies? They can, and other people not a part of that group cannot. The n word is the same way. Calling your best friend a bitch means something totally different than someone else saying it. Words have double standards. I am assuming that because no one was ever offended by the bar mascot most likely that no one of Romani (Roma) decent was present.

I am in the US like yourself. My friend I mentioned earlier kept their background private and was hesitant to divulge and only did so because I pressed. The hesitation is what opened my eyes because until then I was ignorant as well. If you don't think it's offensive in the US please read this article.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/ameri...cuted-minority-that-is-starting-to-fight-back
Admittedly it's quite long but really any google search will bring you lots of accounts and perspectives from Romani individuals trying to raise awareness. It's okay to not be aware of something as long as we are willing to learn and grow.

Well I have now changed my mind and I am thinking of naming her Hannah
I think Hannah is lovely and I love the spelling too. It would make an excellent sibset.

I'm not sure if this is a final decision or not but if your still looking for inspiration my favorite name site is nameberry.com There are a lot of great name lists too which is really great if your looking for something in a certain category.

I love the name someone mentioned earlier Journey. I also love Hannah, it it such a soft beautiful name for a girl and a woman.

I remember in university (i'm from New Zealand, living in the USA for a few months now) there were 2 cousins who moved to NZ from Iran and they were named Nawfal and Ameen. They were teased called mean and awful, in their countries it was not considered bad names but when they left their countries it was.

Where I am from (Scotland) it is derogatory. If people look a certain way or act a certain way they may be called gypsys and it is certainly not a compliment.
We also get along of gypsys travelling and they are often seen washing themselves in McDonalds toilets etc, it's certainly not something I'd want my child to be named because in this country it is fairly offensive. (Not a dig at travellers at all just not something I'd name my child after)
At the same time I also think it is a cute name, would you ever consider having it for a middle name or even having it as a name you call her but not on her official records. As for Hannah I think that's a lovely name and goes nicely with Matilda

I like Eliza, Delilah, violet

I agree with the other ladies regarding the use of the name Gypsy.
I love the name Hannah though :)

Well I had the baby on the 6 September and choose the name Hannah Gwendolyn.middle name after my beloved grandma who passed away. Thank you for all your help with names

Did anyone watch the austrailian soap home.and away (im.uk) years ago there was a girl called gypsie, i love it!

I used to ride a gawgus skewbald pony called gypsie too so i couldn't call a daughter it but i think its beautiful

I called her Hannah instead. But still love the name and yes I watched home and away too

Did anyone watch the austrailian soap home.and away (im.uk) years ago there was a girl called gypsie, i love it!

I used to ride a gawgus skewbald pony called gypsie too so i couldn't call a daughter it but i think its beautiful

I've heard it used, as in Gypsy Rose Lee and Gypsy Blanchard, but I wouldn't personally choose it. In the UK it's a derogatory word yes, but it has other origins. Romani people here are also called Tinks, but no one sued Peter Pan. Call your kid whatever you want, Just be wary that some folk will give their two cents on it.

I've heard it used, as in Gypsy Rose Lee and Gypsy Blanchard, but I wouldn't personally choose it. In the UK it's a derogatory word yes, but it has other origins. Romani people here are also called Tinks, but no one sued Peter Pan. Call your kid whatever you want, Just be wary that some folk will give their two cents on it.

not sure I'd want to name my kid after Gypsy Blanchard. That whole story is so sad.

If a name could be considered offensive, I would not use it. Glad you didn't, OP. Hannah is a beautiful name

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->