What do you wash your nappies and baby clothes in?

MidnightSun

Reaction score
I know that we have to be careful with what we use for nappies, and have read quite conflicting arguments. For example a lot of the ladies on Cloth Nappy Tree use Bold 2in1. Yet I have read on a nappy site that this should never be used! I have read great things about Eco Balls too, but have heard they're not great for stains, so surely on nappies and baby clothes they're going to be no good?

I have also read Ecover isn't great either, due to soap content. This I am quite upset about as it's what I had planned to use on both nappies and baby.

What do you use on your nappies?

And is it okay to use biological powder on baby clothes?

I know that it's the 'norm' here to use non-bio and a lot of people gasp at me asking if I can use bio, but a lot of countries don't even have the luxury of non bio!

I have been using soap nuts and a little bit of nappy sanitiser :flower: x

Soapnuts here too.
A little lavender oil in the powder compartment makes them smell lovely.

I use non-bio. I use a liquid as it's lighter to carry home from the shops but a powder is actually better for stains than a liquid is.

Neither of my children seem to have sensitive skin so when my baby is a bit older (maybe age 1 ish?) I'll probably stop buying non-bio and just wash all clothes and nappies in bio. I do put bits of children's clothes (although not vests or pants) in with an adult wash sometimes if there is spare room.

I'll have to find out about bio for nappies (like ones with PUL and elastic in them) as non-bio is recommended but I don't know why this is.

we use non bio on everything as we all have a sensitive skin atm its liqiud but i prefere to use fairyy powder on the nappies

Many countries don't even do non-bio powder, so you candefinately safely use it for babies clothes.

I've heard as well, that it can even be better to use bio powder on nappies as it cleans them better, but don't quote me on that. I guess the only thing would be it could make little bums more prone to rashes and reactions.

I've been using Bold 2in1 gel with no problems at all for six months now. My nappies have only needed one strip wash, don't have stains and look and smell and work lovely :)

I use ecoballs with a little Ecover laundry bleach to help remove the stains. This works really well even on napies, but our water is very soft. Our trials have shown that if you're in hard water area, and use ecoballs, adding a magnoball as well, really makes a difference.

I use bio detergent for everything now- the non-bio stuff is available, but like fluffpuffin said, I find the bio detergent gets things cleaner. I just make sure that everything is well rinsed. Emma has eczema and she's been fine with the detergent (it's mostly skin products that she reacts to) but obviously, each LO is a little different. I didn't really like soapnuts, but I know lots of people get on with them fine.

I use soap nuts on nappies and Ariel bio on all our clothes. Non-bio didn't cut it.

I think I am leaning towards Eco Balls... but would need a Magno Ball by the sounds of it, as we have hard water.

I just like the idea that I am not going to gt detergent build up in nappies and that I won't feel guilty about putting a chemical into my machine.

Does anyone use vinegar as a softener? Or an essential oil?

Also the Ecover Laundry Bleach - I presume it's for whites only?

I just want to get myself much greener, I wish I could ditch all my cleaning chemicals as well!!

I use fairy, But going to try bold2in1 when that runs out :thumbup:

I use Ariel Bio powder (as the liquids and gels can clog the nappies).

I use anything really as long as its bio. As i am (rather bizarrely) allergic to non-bio! Tend to go for powders because they seem cheaper!

I use biological (normally Tesco own brand) and some kind of whitener, like oxy clean. Non-bio left things a bit stinky sometimes (we have many cats), and I was never able to store linen for long if it had been washed in non-bio before it went musty.

I think I am leaning towards Eco Balls... but would need a Magno Ball by the sounds of it, as we have hard water.

I just like the idea that I am not going to gt detergent build up in nappies and that I won't feel guilty about putting a chemical into my machine.

Does anyone use vinegar as a softener? Or an essential oil?

Also the Ecover Laundry Bleach - I presume it's for whites only?

I just want to get myself much greener, I wish I could ditch all my cleaning chemicals as well!!

I use vinegar as a softener, but for clothes/ bedding/ towels. I have used it on nappies but that was only after a strip wash as a one-off. I don't know how bad it is for nappies. Using vinegar would invalidate your warranty on nappies but I don't know if the benefits of it would outweigh that risk....

You can ditch a lot of cleaning chemicals. I use a lot of vinegar, lemon juice and soda crystals and microfibre cloths with nothing on them. But there are some things I wouldn't do without though, like proper fairy washing up liquid and a drop of bleach.

I am using terries hun, so can use the vinegar on them :flower:

Can I ask, if you use vinegar for cleaning does it not leave a bit of a whiff behind?

I would love to get rid of all things nasty and replace them with homemade rather than Ecover and all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->