What does everyone think of this?

Cat_pj

Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...opp-blasts-natural-birth-experts-Twitter.html

I think its a bit ironic that its reported in the Daily Mail- I find their coverage very anti c-section!

I have one thing to say first of all that was at the bottom of the page, i was refused..... gas and air lmao, i was having a back to back labour at home, i've been left petrifed in case they refuse me even the simplest of pain relief. I was told "it doesn't grow on trees, gas and air is like gold dust". So i spent 11 hrs at home screaming and begging for pain relief and then i was rushed to hospital for the last hr still refused yup anything at all. If they had just given me the gas and air i could have managed at home despite it being a back to back labour which f*ing hurts. I was left speechless to the point of being unable to speak about it really. There will not be a third child after that.

But about the whole looking down on mothers who have c-sections. I've never thought anything against those who have c-sections. its ten times harder, more pain, longer recovery, difficult to breast feed. Im not misinformed, i think those that have them as an easy option are misinformed as its not easy at all. Home births are great (well my first one was anyway) calm and relaxing and cause less problems (usually) So yes it needs promoting, i can't see why promoting something makes those that have no choice look bad

I saw this last night. It sounds to me like Kirsty is still understandably raw from her own experiences. I believe it's only 2 months since her last baby was born via elective CS but I might be wrong. The thing that jumped out to me was her saying something along the lines of antenatal classes with out covering CS is like studying English literature without Shakespeare.....I disagree. Even though we have an unacceptably high CS rate in the western world (according to the World Health Org) I still think it's important to remember the VAST majority of women will be having a normal birth. So the focus will inevitably be on that. While I think there could be room for more info about emergency CS in antenatal classes in general, I think balanced classes for mums having to consider or being offered an elective CS are essential and something the NHS should be providing.

When studying English literature you of course must study Shakespeare - he is at the very core and heart of English literature. CS is not at the heart or core of birth. It's sometimes a necessary part of birth but for me the analogy doesnt stand up.

I'd like to meet these "Zealots". I'm a NCBer and have many NCB friends in the birthing community and have never met someone who like those that she describes. I think that's more of an urban legend, not a real thing. And I think that if you are feeling bad about your birth that maybe you turn to this urban legend so you have someone to blame and get mad at.

I do think that CS isnt covered enough in antenatal care but also that how to avoid a CS definitely is not covered!

I cant say that natural birthing mommas have made me feel like a failure - the nhs and popularly accepted ideas about childbirth - 1cm per hour please cervix, if not then your must have some help to speed things along...oh sorry you're are a 'FAILURE to progress'

The Daily Nazi (Mail!) strikes again!

I agree with Kirstie - it is heartbreaking that so many women make it all the way through their pregnancies so completely underinformed by the NHS, by some antenatal classes and by the medical profession, the media and the general public as a whole. Every pregnant woman should have ALL the information they require - everything about elective C/S, avoiding a C/S, recovering from an essential C/S, and all the exact same information for a home birth without medical interventions.

The way this article uses "medical advice" and "medical interventions" as something that us women considering natural birth might use as swear words... it's laughable, but that's what you get when you pay for this rag!

I'm booked for NCT classes at the end of April and really looking forward to them - we chose them based on what me and OH wanted from a class which was support geared towards natural birthing, breastfeeding and early parenthood. I was lucky enough to get health insurance money from work to pay for them but I definitely think all these things, as well as more C/S and operative vag delivery info should be available on NHS courses as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->