what does this mean?

Mrs-N

Mummy to Joshua James
Reaction score
i went to see midwife yesterday and i took a urine sample and
there was

trace of blood,
trace of protein and
++ lenc (this is whats written in my notes,i think it says that,cant read the writing)

she wants me to do another sample so it can be tested.
so im gonna drop it into the doctors surgery on monday.

what does this mean?

oh and the midwife asked if i have been having problems weeing and i said i havnt and i havnt.

should i be worried?

Sometimes this can be a sign of a kidney or urine infection. If it is and you have no symptoms, it could mean that it has been caught early and will be easily treated.
Good luck and let us know what happens!:hugs::hugs:

Sometimes this can be a sign of a kidney or urine infection. If it is and you have no symptoms, it could mean that it has been caught early and will be easily treated.
Good luck and let us know what happens!:hugs::hugs:

sorry if this sounds stupid but
what are the symptoms of kidney and urine infection?

A urine infection, you can just feel like you need to pee more often (not helpful when pregnant I know!), you can also feel burning when you pee and just generally feel a bit run down. You may also have kidney pain (whichyou feel in you lower back, jst above your pelvis, on either side) and you could see blood in your urine or on your tissue when you wipe. You may also feel like you have a temperature. You could have all, some or none of the above!
If you have a kidney infetion, you should be feeling pretty poorly with it, so you're probably ok there!
Hope this helps.

thank you,

i have been weeing more but i havnt had any sort of stinging and no blood on the tissue when i wipe and i havnt had any back pain,ive had a mild backache of a evening but think thats to do with me sitting on my arse for a long time.

i saw the midwife last friday and my urine sample was fine but i had to go back and see the midwife this week for a maternity certificate so
its only been a week since my wee was ok and a week later they have found that so hopefully if it is an infection we would of caught it early.

thanks x x

Sounds like a urine infetion (UTI) I am prone to them. They are nothing to worry about if caught early which it sounds like it has been.

They are extremely common in pregnancy and you should take extra precautions in avoiding them. They are caused by bacteria travelling up your urethra, so you should make sure you wipe front to back whenever you go to the bathroom. Also, it is recommended your drink 3 litres of water a day to prevent the bacteria building up in the first place. Cranberry juice is great for easing the symptons and even helps kill the bacteria.

make sure you drink tons and tons of water until you know you dont have it for sure - stay away from anything with caffine in, or decaff products as they make it worse.

Hope it is neg, but if it isnt - it is just a quick course of antibiotics!

Sounds like a urine infetion (UTI) I am prone to them. They are nothing to worry about if caught early which it sounds like it has been.

They are extremely common in pregnancy and you should take extra precautions in avoiding them. They are caused by bacteria travelling up your urethra, so you should make sure you wipe front to back whenever you go to the bathroom. Also, it is recommended your drink 3 litres of water a day to prevent the bacteria building up in the first place. Cranberry juice is great for easing the symptons and even helps kill the bacteria.

make sure you drink tons and tons of water until you know you dont have it for sure - stay away from anything with caffine in, or decaff products as they make it worse.

Hope it is neg, but if it isnt - it is just a quick course of antibiotics!

oh thank you thats really good advice.
ill make sure i drink loads of water.
after i go to the toilet i usually wipe with tissue then wipe with a bay wipe. would that cause this?
thanks again x x

Don't know what a bay wipe is, but you should NEVER use these new wet wipe type things that are out. They have tonnes of chemicals in and this will cause an imbalance in your bodies natural bacteria. This, in turn, can cause some nasty infections, including UTIs and thrush. Just a dry piece of toilet roll is sufficient.

Consultant has given me antibiotcs for a urine infection. Like you had no obvious signs only protein,trace of blood and some leucocytes found in urine sample.

I dont know what a bay wipe is. But normal loo roll is good enough.

protein is an infection, blood in urine usually comes from kidneys, so it's possible that you have a kidney infection.

sorry girls i ment baby wipes.

they are fragrent free and for sentitive skin.

i use baby wipes so every thing is all clean.

sorry girls i ment baby wipes.

they are fragrent free and for sentitive skin.

i use baby wipes so every thing is all clean.

Sorry babes, but I still think you shouldn't be using these. If you want to feel cleaner than using toilet roll, use a wet peice of toilet roll. As I said before, although these things are fagrance free and for sensitive skin - they are bad, bad, bad!

Sorry babes, but I still think you shouldn't be using these. If you want to feel cleaner than using toilet roll, use a wet peice of toilet roll. As I said before, although these things are fagrance free and for sensitive skin - they are bad, bad, bad!

ok cheers.

if it was a kidney infection what does that mean?
how could i prevent it?

kidney infection is caused by a UTI not being treated. It is treated the same way and you prevent it the same way. Chances are you would be very sick if it was your kidneys.

I dont want to sound like the negative one here but I double checked. The ladies are right it could be UTI or Kidney infection but the most important one has been left out.

Preeclampsia. Which a sign is protein in the blood (as a result of kidney infection) Looking at how far you are it's also a possibility.

That's why she wants another test just to make sure. If it is then at least they'll be able to make sure everything goes 100%

Hope it's nothing but a scare and that you get your results back soon! :hugs: All the best.

I dont want to sound like the negative one here but I double checked. The ladies are right it could be UTI or Kidney infection but the most important one has been left out.

Preeclampsia. Which a sign is protein in the blood (as a result of kidney infection) Looking at how far you are it's also a possibility.

That's why she wants another test just to make sure. If it is then at least they'll be able to make sure everything goes 100%

Hope it's nothing but a scare and that you get your results back soon! :hugs: All the best.

so if it was pre-eclampsia what does that mean and can they cure it?
i was gonna say dont you need high blood pressure but saying that i saw midwife on friday 28th march and my blood pressure was 90/60 but when i saw her a week later on the 4th april my blood pressure was 120/75.so its gone up in a week.

thanks very much.

Mrs-N, just as a word of caution, your notes said TRACE.

TRACE amounts are normally absolutely nothing to worry about. If your MW didn't give you reason to believe you needed to be seen further for UTI or any other kind of infection both these things can be found in NORMAL URINE.

Heck, when we use the towlette prior to voiding into the little container, that can cause some abrasion which would bring a few TRACE blood cells into our urine. The protien - same thing. We naturally spill over TRACE amounts of protien.

Certainly drink lots of fluids, and be proactive against the infections spoke of here, but I caution you against believing you have an infection when your notes read as you indicated.

If you have any questions, pains, or issues with your bathroom habits, please contact your Midwife.

so if it was pre-eclampsia what does that mean and can they cure it?
i was gonna say dont you need high blood pressure but saying that i saw midwife on friday 28th march and my blood pressure was 90/60 but when i saw her a week later on the 4th april my blood pressure was 120/75.so its gone up in a week.

thanks very much.

It went up, but it is still in the normal range, and you only have TRACE amounts of protien in your urine. Keep note of your diet and keep well hydrated, and certainly contact your midwife if you have any questions, but I wouldn't worry about anything just yet.

:hugs:

(Speaking as a person who HAD preeclampsia, and may have it again with this pregnancy).

thanks margerle,

midwife said blood pressure was still in the normal range.
she didnt seem too bothered about the trace in my urine just wanted to sent a urine sample off to be on safe side and if there was an infection it can be treated.
i have been drinking loads of water and i havnt had any problems going to the toilet.
i dropped my urine sample off at doctors today so i should have reaults back by the end of the week.
hopefully all is well.

thanks again margerle.
x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79