What "Flour" to use for recipes?

tattlebaby

Reaction score
I really want to start making LO pancakes and other fun meal ideas that require flour, but I'm not sure which flour to use. she is still under 12 months so I really want to be careful with what I use. Also, some recipes call for also using 1 egg, however, I've only introduced egg yolk to her because I was told no egg whites atleast until over 1 yr of age. What should i do? Please Help! THANKS!!

I don't see why normal bog standard plain or self raising flour wouldn't be okay? Same for eggs, they're fine as long as they're not underdone.

thank you but I was just wondering, because I know theres many different kinds to choose from. All purpose Bleached/unbleached for example. And using flour with chemicals can't possibly be ok for baby to consume.

We just use all purpose organic flour at our house. We don't keep any other kinds of flour, the thought would never occur to me! Are you talking wheat/oat/almond/coconut? or pastry/cake/all purpose/unbleached/bleached/organic/non-organic?

I think cooked egg whites are fine? I've never heard no whites, just no raw whites.

What I meant was just use whatever flour you normally use. I don't think that there is a bad choice. Plus I'm pretty sure there's no chemical in flour? I might have to Google that though!

What I meant was just use whatever flour you normally use. I don't think that there is a bad choice. Plus I'm pretty sure there's no chemical in flour? I might have to Google that though!

Not in the kind you buy. They do use some chemicals in commercial baking, but what you buy, no.

I use gluten free the Dove's farm brand but only so I can eat what ever I am making for baby. Never heard no egg whites.

Depends on what you're making.
All purpose flour is just that. Its good for basically everything lol.
As far as eggs go, you can use a vegan egg supplement if you're worried about using a whole egg. Of course that also depends on what you're making.

I love baking!! It's my weekend hobby.

For pancakes, King Arthur all purpose. All of their flour is unbleached. A tad bit more expensive, but really worth it.
Never heard the thing about eggs, but there are so many choices out there nowadays I don't think you will have any problems finding something within your dietary wants.

I am also an avid almond milk user, particularly vanilla flavored. I have used vanilla almond milk for pizza crusts, naan, cinnamon rolls, yeast rolls (all home made) and even mashed potatoes. I think the recipes turn out even better than using dairy.

Flour and eggs are fine from 6 months, unless you have egg or wheat allergies in your family. So use whatever flour you'd normally use. We use basic plain flour or self-raising or wholegrain spelt flour, depending on what the recipe calls for.

If you want to avoid wheat flour for any reason (though I wouldn't unless you have a medical reason to), we often make flourless banana nut pancakes. Have a look on google for a more exact recipe, which you'll probably find on some paleo recipe sites, but it's basically 2-3 bananas, 3 eggs, and a few big spoonfuls of peanut or other nut butters, blended and then used like you would to make normal pancakes. I also sometimes make a pancake batter with cottage cheese, eggs, and oats. You can probably also find the recipe if you search.

I wouldn't worry about egg unless you have egg allergies in your family. Eggs make excellent baby food! The recommendation of holding off on potential allergens is not held up by research so the recommendation on that has changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->