What happens at 20 week scan (UK)

Laura80

Reaction score
I have my 20 week scan tomorrow and can’t remember what happens. (It’s been 6 years since my last baby). Is it just a scan and then home or will I get bloods taken etc?

Great. Thank you rainbowdrop. I hate getting blood taken.

Just a scan at 20 weeks thankfully no more bloods !

It's an anomaly scan. Checks all babies organs ECT. Measuring baby and fluid. It's the most important scan in pregnancy. Good luck hun xx

How long roughly does this scan take as well if they are doing all these checks? Is it longer than a normal 12 week scan (providing no problems)

At my 20 wks scan in Portsmouth they took my notes called us in and first asked are at finding out the sex, then the looked at the head eyes nose spine move to liver kidneys and 4 chambers of the heart giving us a talk through then the baby's genitals I have 3 little lines = girl. You ar3 offered whooping cough and u get print outs it's amazing to see how much your baby has grown .

Chezzer how long did that take for you? Xx

Can anyone say whether you really need a full bladder for a 20 week scan as well? As I know for a 12 week scan it’s to push the uterus out but for a 20 week it’s already out? I drank so much water last time I made myself violently sick just before I got called in throwing it all back up which I’d really like to avoid this time!!

U.S. here, but I was told to drink at least half my weight in ounces of water two days before any scan. It helps boost your amniotic fluid and makes it clearer for better imaging. More fluid means more space for baby to move. On the day of, you are supposed to drink as much water as you can and maintain a full bladder if possible.

Recommendations can definitely vary though. I was also told no caffeine in the days leading up to the scan. It can make the fluid appear cloudy.

Thanks everyone.

Had my scan yesterday and my baby is happy and healthy. And it’s a BOY!

How long roughly does this scan take as well if they are doing all these checks? Is it longer than a normal 12 week scan (providing no problems)

It took about half an hour for us. Really detailed scan looking at all vital baby organs, heart, brain, stomach etc.

I can't really remember seemed to take ages I wanted to say just cut to the chase girl or boy, maybe 30 mins and I didn't have a full bladder I went for a wee before I went in. Have fun it's amazing. X

Laura CONGRATS!!!!!

We had ours today. Went in at 13:45 and left at 16:00!! Baby kept moving around so much the woman couldn’t check all the things she needed too so have to go back in 2 weeks just to confirm a few things so hopefully baby will co-operate more then!!

We did find out we are having a BOY too though!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->