What happens if you measure ahead?

mspotter

Mummy!!
Reaction score
Bit of a silly question i know but i always measured 2-3cm behind with ds so not sure!

At my 22wk mw appointment i measured 24wks and i just seem to be expanding rapidly at the mo! My next appointment is 28wks and it really wouldnt suprise me if im measuring more ahead than last time.
I know its not an exact science and all midwives measure differently and all babies and pregnancies are different but just wondering if they do anything (scan or whatever) if you are measuring way ahead to check the size of baby?
I guess im worried that the size of me compared to last time means im going to give birth to an absolute whopper instead of a tiddly 6lb'er again lol

At 26 weeks I saw a midwife who said I was measuring 2 weeks ahead too when she measured the fundal height with the tape measure thing, but when I went for my scan 2 weeks later baby was spot on 28 weeks! The midwife explained to me that most people tend to measure 2 weeks ahead or behind on their growth charts with fundal height so not to worry, and she was right, lol. Do you have another scan booked in? The ultrasound tech will also measure baby and plot it on the same chart using a different symbol so you know which is which.

i was told months ago my bub seemed to be measuring big, scans show him as 2 weeks ahead of normal bubs growth, she said nothing to worry about, im just gonan have a larger baby. :) i asked if it meant induction or section or anything and she said no way :) i have hosp app now on monday for 38 weeks check up, im gonna ask um to check size i think again just to be safe :) but id much prefer to go on my own :)
i think if some babies r huge u will be encouraged for section but she didnt seem at all to think 2 weeks ahead warranted this . so dont worry hon x

Thanks ladies!
I know its a stupid thingto worry about as i know bubs has to come out whatever size she is!
Is there any point they do start to worry about you measuring that far ahead?
I havent got any more scans booked in up to now so its only if theres any probs theyl do one
Xx

With my son I measured around 5 weeks bigger from around 26 weeks and was told he would be 14 pound plus but he was only 7lb 12. This time I saw I am doing the same and measured 31 weeks today but I will only be 26 weeks tomorrow x

I've been measuring ahead they did an ultrasound in my case I have just a lot of extra water

Thanks ladies!
I know its a stupid thingto worry about as i know bubs has to come out whatever size she is!
Is there any point they do start to worry about you measuring that far ahead?
I havent got any more scans booked in up to now so its only if theres any probs theyl do one
Xx

ive wondered the same myself since they told me ;)
but they do often get it wrong too hon so i wouldnt worry too much .
il ask at my app on mon, il be 38 weeks then so if they r gonna do anything for me would have to be soon :)
my niece was told at one app she was gonna have small bub, a week later at another app she was told big bub :) second one was right , he was nearly 9 pound ;)

Usually they will request a scan if you are +/- 3 weeks. Is your growth chart personalised or are they working on a cms should equal weeks gestation premise?

With my DD I measured up to 3 weeks behind going on the cms=gestation theory but this time I have a personalised growth chart and am now measuring 2.5 weeks ahead. I'm slightly perturbed by this as my 'measuring small' daughter was 8lb 12, so god knows how big this 'big' baby will be. :ignore:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->