What happens is baby turns breech at 38 weeks?

susan_1981

Mummy to 2 boys :)
Reaction score
I did ask this in the labour and birth section but I think maybe you girls might be better placed to answer.

When I was pregnant with my son, at every scan and midwife appointment, he was head down. This baby however has turned from head down to feet down quite a few times. My last midwife appointment was at 36 weeks and baby was head down (although not engaged) and my next one is on Tuesday when I'll be almost 38 weeks. I'm not sure but I'm wondering if he has gone breech again. So I'm just wondering what happens if they turn breech that late on? Do they just wait and hope that the baby turns, do they try and turn the baby or book you in for a c-section? x

I think they will ask if you want then to try and turn baby (your choice) and if not, then they will book you in for a c section.

Lily was breech throughout and towards the end of my pregnancy we were pushed into an ecv (where they try to turn the baby) by a rude and aggressive doctor! I really didn't want to try it but as I say we were bulled into it, the doctor told us that someone having a csection had just gone into cardiac arrest and that I probably would too! We were absolutely gobsmacked! We still declined it at that point and went home in tears, we'd just got used to the idea of a csection and here she was trying to scare us! We went into the hospital the next day for what we thought were routine tests before a csection, when we got there the doctor had BOOKED the ecv!

We talked to another doctor who tried to reassure us and in the end my OH said he had changed his mind and wanted to try it, I still didn't but felt I had to.

It was extremely painful and uncomfortable and I would never have it again. Lily flipped back around part way through and it didn't work anyway!

But that's just my experience, I know some people have had positive experiences whether it worked or not.

If you decline the ecv or it doesn't work then they will likely suggest an elective csection but some places will let you attempt a breech birth if that's what you want, although a number of these end in emergency csections anyway, its worth doing a bit of research on.

S

My dd2 was breech at 34wks, cephalic at 38wks and breech agaim at 39+4. Went for a presentation scan the next day and she was still breech so spoke to consultant. I refused the ecv so was booked in for a section at 40+4. I had a presentation scan the day before my section and the little monkey was head down (and thankfully stayed that way!)

I didnt feel her turn at all so was shocked that she kept changing positions. The mw said that as she had turned so late in the pregnancy (39wks) that there was a very hih chance she would turn back, as there was obviously plenty of room

i was transverse with excess fluid so slightly diff circs however at 37 i was pushed into ecv, talked down to, tried to make me feel like an idiot for not doing it, why on earth would you want to go through a c section, then as she filled out the form she made sure to excessively highlight all the risks to me, so in the end i agreed and the following day i was told to wait for a call and not to eat, 4pm i finnally met the consultant who strangely was trying to talk me out of it, risk of having emergency c section there and then, uncomfortable etc and only 50% change of it working, they tried it failed
and i was then booked for c section and in my opion i would rather go through the c section 10 times over than have an ecv

again i know there are ladies who had positive experiences but mine wasnt, it felt unnatural, uncomfortable, and unneccesary

My first was breech at every appt from 28 weeks onwards.

We went for the ecv at 38 weeks, it was unsuccessful, but glad we gave it a shot as it could have resulted in a vaginal birth.

Was booked in for c-section at 39+4.

Hope baby turns for you!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm not sure if he is breech of not but I really do feel like there's quite a bit of movement low down and not to mention I feel like he's trying to break free sideways. So I'm thinking his position could be laying across the top of my bump with his arms and legs in the lower half of my bump. I'm probably completely wrong. Fingers crossed he's head down and I don't have to go through what some of you have, especially you Tami, that's awful! x

I asked my doctor this question at 24 week appointment 2 weeks ago....he said if baby was still breeched they would try to turn him, if not he would do a C-section. I then asked if they delivered breeched vaginally, and he said they would, but there are risk he would have to go over with me if it came down to that....I still had plenty of time.

I've never had a breech baby, but I did see a chiropractor towards the end of my 2nd pregnancy to help loosen up my joints and muscles to help get ready for labor. I spoke to my chiro, who specialized in prenatal care, and he said he has a good track record for getting breech babies in late pregnancy to turn at last minute. So if you have the time, I'd look into seeing a chiropractor who has prenatal experience and training, maybe your OB/midwife could recommend you one. The way this works is the chiro loosens up your round ligaments in your uterus, your muscles, and your hip bones, encouraging and giving baby more room to turn. Our health care did not cover me seeing mu chiro, but the cost was $60 per visit, which is worth it in my eyes for a smooth delivery.

I'm not sure if this was already mentioned, but check out spinningbabies.com as well, there are exercises listed and explained in the "turning a breech baby" section that may be worth practicing as well

lo was traverse breech through all the late scans (had extra as had gd), but at 36 weeks she turned down finally. I ended up having an emcs anyway as induction didn't work.
I did do some exercises, upside down off the sofa if I recall and I think it helped but i'm not a dr! check spinning babies website for exercises but only do them after reading the safety advice.
Hope baby turns!

After having a scan, it was confirmed that my baby was breech at 38 weeks pregnant, I was offered an ecv. I gave it a google, and decided under no circumstances that it would be something I would be willing to put myself and my baby through. (Give it lots of research.) For me, it was the risk of uterine rupture, and the possibility of my baby getting so distressed that I would need an emergency C-section there and then, that put me off.

After spending the next two weeks on all fours and hanging off the sofa on my head, my baby turned (without me knowing it!) by 40 weeks.

Unfortunately I still had an emergency C-section, for different reasons.

When baby was breech, I felt ALOT of tiny flutterings low down in my pelvis, which was babies fingers around his mouth/face. Do you feel that?

x

Thanks hun, it was horrible, but luckily Lily and I were fine afterwards.

Do you have a birthing/exercise ball? I've heard bouncing on one of those can help, although I didn't try it myself!

x

Baby number 2 was breech from 30 weeks to 39 weeks, I was was booked in for a c sec at 39 weeks and found out she had flipped head down that morning! C sec cancelled! Then at 40 weeks she turned breech again and this time I opted for an ecv (easy and not really painful experience for me) she was turned head down where she stayed until induction 12 days later.
Baby number 3 was head down apparently for my whole pregnancy, no extra scans as they weren't necessary, went into labour at 40+10 and found out that he was in fact transverse! They attempted an ecv which failed but broke my waters and so then it was an emergency c section within minutes.
I would say that I'm an odd case, I obviously have strange shaped insides that don't allow my babies to go go head down and stay there naturally, but it was just to show the different things that can be tried-right up to the last second!
Good luck! X

Thanks. Yes, I'm feeling what feels like little gentle fluttery feelings low down and it does make me think that it could be fingers and toes. And my bump feels like baby is laying across-ways as sometimes it feels like both sides of my tummy are being pushed from the inside at the same time when the baby moves if that makes sense.

I'm definitely going to look at techniques to get baby in best position just in case and will research the ECV, etc.

At every appt from 28wks onwards my first baby was breech. From that stage, 28wks on, I spent time everyday on the ball, crawling around the house, legs up in air etc and nothing shifted her. Certainly worth a try though!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->