• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What? I don't even know what to think...

NoodleSnack

Reaction score
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/woman-explains-arrest-breastfeeding-drinking-beer-23079658

:shrug: My brain is debating itself from both sides. :haha:

Oh come on now!! :haha: Would they also arrest a pregnant woman having a glass of wine or one who was smoking?? (though, I'd actually support the latter). This is totally ridiculous, if she was hammered I'd be supportive of someone having a serious word but a couple of drinks with dinner? That waitress needs to mind her own business imo.

The waitress got fired a week later, and she said she would do exactly the same thing again. :dohh:

I love how the town the mother lives in doesn't allow drunkenness but the town she dines in is okay.

Oh come on now!! :haha: Would they also arrest a pregnant woman having a glass of wine or one who was smoking?? (though, I'd actually support the latter). This is totally ridiculous, if she was hammered I'd be supportive of someone having a serious word but a couple of drinks with dinner? That waitress needs to mind her own business imo.

Agree with this. The amount of alcohol that gets into breastmilk is so small so one or two drinks is not going to do any harm.

Oh my god, I would be livid if someone called the cops on me for that! I'm pretty sure I've done the same thing at least once at a restaurant.

And :dohh: to the comment at the end about it being the same as putting alcohol into a bottle.

I went out to lunch with my mum last week and had a glass of wine and breastfed him in the same sitting :)

I would threaten to flash them with my offensive boobies if they had of said anything ha.

Not really sure what to think.....im an advocate of "pumping and dumping" or just bringing a bottle of expressed milk for the baby if drinking....im confused tho...a beer sure thats ok....but two..three...four....thats getting excessive! Id be plastered after one! The waitress stated she saw a few glasses infront if the woman already when she walked in....of course the mom is going to say she just had one or two drinks instead of stating she had more than a few...she doesnt want to get in trouble!
I doubt the waitress wouldve called the cops if indeed the mom had only had ONE glass of beer or wine...

Seeing empty glasses and seeing someone actually drinking are 2 totally different things.

Don't see how it is the waitresses' business either.....pumping and dumping is a waste of milk unless you're planning on getting plastered in which case you shouldn't have a child in your care, the amount of alcohol that gets into milk is extremely minimal. Safe to drive, safe to BF. If the mum was stumbling out I would understand, but the waitress sounded like a busy body who I doubt actually knew much about alcohol and BF.

Don't see how it is the waitresses' business either.....pumping and dumping is a waste of milk unless you're planning on getting plastered in which case you shouldn't have a child in your care, the amount of alcohol that gets into milk is extremely minimal. Safe to drive, safe to BF. If the mum was stumbling out I would understand, but the waitress sounded like a busy body who I doubt actually knew much about alcohol and BF.

Ok...i pump sometimes if im really full and my baby doesnt take a bottle that well so i usually have to "dump" it....its not a waste...im always making more.....
Just like we dont know exactly how much is safe to drink while preg im assuming the same goes for bfing....i doubt we really know how much gets into the milk...
And here in my province they advocate "DONT drink and drive....they have a "legal" limit...but i feel uneasy seeing anyone even drinking ONE drink then driving....so for me same goes for bfing...
As i would never have a drink while preg...i would never drink while bfing...
BUT i would not call the cops on someone as it really isnt my business...i just feel for the baby...

Ok...i pump sometimes if im really full and my baby doesnt take a bottle that well so i usually have to "dump" it....its not a waste...im always making more.....
Just like we dont know exactly how much is safe to drink while preg im assuming the same goes for bfing....i doubt we really know how much gets into the milk...
And here in my province they advocate "DONT drink and drive....they have a "legal" limit...but i feel uneasy seeing anyone even drinking ONE drink then driving....so for me same goes for bfing...
BUT i would not call the cops on someone as it really isnt my business...i just feel for the baby...

It's not the same as pregnancy, they dont know exactly what is passed in pregnancy (well they know it passes but they don't know what affect it has on the baby with small amounts thus it is better to abstain) with BF they have checked the composition in the milk and have seen in a couple drinks alcohol doesn't pass through, so there isn't any what ifs, alcohol hasn't passed into the milk thus it can't affect the baby, it's not up to debate it's been proven, I think it is the social stigma of not liking seeing a BF mum drinking alcohol more that puts people off, but the science says it's fine.

The reason they say safe to drive, safe to BF is because it's a good indication you have drunk little, it's nice to give mums confidence when all they blooming hear us "DONT DO THAT, DONT DO THIS". In reality you could drink a lot more and the alcohol won't pass, but I think the issue with drinking and BF by that point is being under the influence while taking care of a child. I also don't drive after any amount if alcohol, because I know one drink makes me tipsy, but I also know the way alcohol metabolises means one drink won't go into my milk.

It's science, you can't dispute it, if you just don't want to drink while BF that's fine, it's your decision, but it doesn't change the fact you're not really protecting your child from harm abstaining.

Disclaimer: I don't drink a lot haha, I probably sound like an alcoholic....!

When you go out I'm guessing you're not the only one who eats and drinks....

It's not the same as pregnancy, they dont know exactly what is passed in pregnancy (well they know it passes but they don't know what affect it has on the baby with small amounts thus it is better to abstain) with BF they have checked the composition in the milk and have seen in a couple drinks alcohol doesn't pass through, so there isn't any what ifs, alcohol hasn't passed into the milk thus it can't affect the baby, it's not up to debate it's been proven, I think it is the social stigma of not liking seeing a BF mum drinking alcohol more that puts people off, but the science says it's fine.

The reason they say safe to drive, safe to BF is because it's a good indication you have drunk little, it's nice to give mums confidence when all they blooming hear us "DONT DO THAT, DONT DO THIS". In reality you could drink a lot more and the alcohol won't pass, but I think the issue with drinking and BF by that point is being under the influence while taking care of a child. I also don't drive after any amount if alcohol, because I know one drink makes me tipsy, but I also know the way alcohol metabolises means one drink won't go into my milk.

It's science, you can't dispute it, if you just don't want to drink while BF that's fine, it's your decision, but it doesn't change the fact you're not really protecting your child from harm abstaining.

Has it be proven it metabolizes the same for everyone? Just cause it doesnt get into the milk of one woman....would it be the same for another woman? Just as me having one drink causes me to get tipsy...but someone else my size and weight might be able to have two or three?
I never said ONE drink was bad....but if it gets more than that...then yes i think bfing and drinking dont mix

That's ridiculous! When my LO was in the NICU and I was pumping the nurses told me to drink a beer a day to help my supply..

Has it be proven it metabolizes the same for everyone? Just cause it doesnt get into the milk of one woman....would it be the same for another woman? Just as me having one drink causes me to get tipsy...but someone else my size and weight might be able to have two or three?
I never said ONE drink was bad....but if it gets more than that...then yes i think bfing and drinking dont mix

That's true I hadn't thought of that actually, that's why I don't drive after one drink because it does affect me if only slightly...don't ruin my science that let's me drink guilt free lol! But yeah I only have the equivalent of 2 units, but I rarely would drink more than that at once anyway. It is meant to be incredibly small though, they proved there was more alcohol in a baby recommended medicine than there was after a woman drinking (not sure how much which I know is the important part lol).

The American media and some are so anti breastfeeding. This is ridiculous and I do feel that waitress was exaggerating, her being fired confirmed that. You can have a drink while breastfeeding. Not get hammered but it dosnt flow beer through your boobs. Hoe ignorant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->