What is a chemical pregnancy?

loopdido

Mum to 2
Reaction score
Hi

wonder if anyone could explain this to me? i keep seeing it mentioned, but don't quite know what it is.....:blush:

How do you know you had/have one.....does it mean there was a embryo trying to implant but didn't or is it just where your body thinks it's preg but not. Would you get a :bfp: with a chemical?

I'm only asking so I know what people are on about not co I think I had one!

thanks

It is the same thing as a very very early miscarriage. Because hpts are so sensitive these days, they can often pick up the pg hormone before you expect your period. So, if you get a BFP but then AF comes on time or a couple of days late, that is a chemical pg.

It basically means that you WERE pg, but that it didn't stick. When you miscarry this early, it is usually because of a genetic problem that would not allow for the development of a normal, viable baby.

These types of miscarriages are very very common, much more so than you would think. Some believe that as many as 75% of pgs end this early. Our understanding of them is relatively new because, in the past, most women would not have known they were pg with a chemical. They just would have thought it was a normal AF or that AF was a couple of days late. They have only been able to find out since the advent of the ultra sensitive hpts.

This is also one of the hazards of testing early. You may pick up a pg that is not meant to stick and then it is horrid when you loose it. BBT charting can give you this same info, too. For example, I don't metabolize hcg into my urine well, so it takes longer for a hpt to show postive for me. But because I was BBT charting, I could tell I had 2 chemicals before I got my sticky. My LP was longer on those cycles and my temp stayed up. Then AF was much more brutal than normal when she did come.

Oh thanks TigerLady - it's all crystal clear now - very well explained btw!

Congrats on your blue bump! :happydance:

That's a great explanation TigerLady.

Thanks very much.

I had a fair idea what it was but didn't want to ask either!

Sam xx

Yeah thanks for that, I'd figured it must have been when your body thinks it's pregnant but it's not, didn't realise that it meant you actually were, it just wasn't designed to stick.

x

I was wondering what these were too so thanks for clearing that up. I remember seeing something on telly where they said that there were more reported miscarriages due to the fact that people can test so early and that it causes more heartache testing early

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->