What is "Gas and Air" ?

bassdesire

Reaction score
I don't think we have this stuff here... I have never heard of gas and air... is this a Euro thing? Curious!! Thanks!

It's a nitrous oxide (AKA laughing gas)/oxygen combination. From what I've read and heard it's a very common method of pain management during labor in parts of Europe. Its primary benefits are that 1) it doesn't slow down labor, 2) it doesn't numb anything, and 3) women have complete control over how and when they use it.

I wish they had it more widely available in the United States for this purpose! :(

yep we use it in the UK. Some women love it and others hate it but its great cause doesn't cross over to baby and once you stop using it the effects go immediately. i found it helped me concentrate on my breathing and although i could still feel the pain i didn't care about it as much. feels a bit like you are drunk and not really there.

I loved it.

It isnt a pain killer as much as it take sth eedge off...but having to take deep regular breaths on it to get the damn mouthpice/valves to work is a big help as it gives you something to focus on and it makes sure you breathe through the contraction rather than hyperventilating or holding your breath.

It makes you feel a bit lightheaded adn get a fuzzy swimmy feeling but it goes as soon as you take one or two breathes off the gas and air.

Its a very temporary lasting kind of pain relief and it doesn't affect baby.

I didn't like it but it was good because at least I could stop right away with no effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->