What is "natural" birth anyway?!

To *me* a natual birth is a unmedicated birth with very little - no interventions. No induction of any kind, no other medications, etc.

That is just my definition. If someone wants to say they had a natural birth but was induced, be my guest. I'm not going to beat down people for defining something in a different way :)

I think, for me, natural methods of induction (sex, nipple stimulation, pineapple) wouldn't take away from labelling a birth "natural", but I don't know where a sweep or breaking the waters come on the natural-medical scale. I think "totally natural" wouldn't include gas and air, but I wouldn't have a problem with someone who used gas and air or a paracetamol calling their birth natural.

epidural all the way baby!!! whoever called child birth 'natural' was clearly a man and clearly deranged!! I am not a woman born in the 1800's, therefore medical intervention was designed to reduce the unimaginable pain of childbirth.
Pregnant with #2 ;o) xx

epidural all the way baby!!! whoever called child birth 'natural' was clearly a man and clearly deranged!! I am not a woman born in the 1800's, therefore medical intervention was designed to reduce the unimaginable pain of childbirth.
Pregnant with #2 ;o) xx

WTF?

I'm not sure that labels are helpful, except as a shorthand for your experience. I do believe that intervention free birth is best for mum and baby if possible, but if intervention is needed then it doesn't make the experience any less worthy. I will plan for a natural birth, but if things don't go as they should, I'll take any intervention necessary to protect my baby and myself. I think the phrase 'you don't get a gold star for having a natural birth' misses the point of why you'd aim for one, but it's true that we shouldn't be dismissive of a birth that involved pain meds, episiotomies, forceps or anything else.

Pregnant with #2 ;o) xx

WTF?

Indeed...wtf?! Are you reading a different thread to us? :lol:

Is say a sweep would be classed as natural but breaking your waters isent. A sweep just helps produce natural hormones that would make you go into labour, same as having sex ect would.

I think someone needs to relax a little and not be so terrified of what her body is meant to do.

Pregnant with #2 ;o) xx

:rofl:

all i'm going to say is...... uneducated!

I took it as she was being sarcastic.....

I don't class natural induction methods as natural for the reason that you're not allowing your body to naturally go into labor without helping it. Majority of labors will eventually happen in their own time when baby is ready, it is only a very small number that actually need help starting. But again, to each their own. I'm not going to freak out if someone says their induction birth was a natural one.

Pregnant with #2 ;o) xx

I read that four times, and the first line doesn't really make sense - IMO it doesn't GET any natural-er than birth! :wacko:

There WAS no "unimaginable pain" the second time I gave birth (and no, I didn't have an epi ;) ). It was gorgeous. I'd have no sooner have numbed myself for that than I would for having sex.

Curious...if all you've ever had is an epi-birth, then how do you know the "pain" is "unimaginable"? That would be making decisions based on hearsay and fear, not on reason or biological norms.

Nothing against epi-births in the slightest - I do think they aren't something to be decided on lightly, though, given the risks (and this post seemed a wee bit.... flippant about them??) An uninformed choice is no choice at all, right...?

I took it as she was being sarcastic.....

I don't class natural induction methods as natural for the reason that you're not allowing your body to naturally go into labor without helping it. Majority of labors will eventually happen in their own time when baby is ready, it is only a very small number that actually need help starting. But again, to each their own. I'm not going to freak out if someone says their induction birth was a natural one.

I agree with you saying that 'only a small number that actually need help starting". I had sweeps with my last 2 lo's and looking back I really dont think they were necessary, my first when I was 6 days over and with my last lo I was 5 days over, so still had quite a bit of time till I hit the 42 weeks. If we have another lo I have already decieded that I wont be having a sweep, mainly because I am curious as too whether I will go into labour on my own.

I was just unsure as too whether it was classed as natural as it is an 'intervention' as such by not allowing your body to naturally, yet at the same time there are no drugs involved :flower:

^ I get what you're saying. An intervention is anything that is done to you though, not just with drugs. Electronic fetal monitoring is also an intervention.

it 'was' sarcasm ladies!! The lowest form of wit, yes i know, but i spent 4 years at uni learning to perfect my 'uneducated' sarcasm with honours (not in medical science you wont be surprised to hear). Didnt mean to offend anyone. xx

have to admit - I missed the wink.. and totally didn't understand!
Thanks for clearing it up!
Xxx

Ive always thought it was a vaginal birth with no pain relief...after reading this I might be wrong though ?

I would say a vaginal birth with no instruments, ie you push baby out yourself. I had a natural birth up to the third stage when I guess we went 'unnatural' as I pushed for three hours but he wouldn't budge so I had a drip and a ventouse in the end. Didn't mind a bit, they tried everything they could to assist me in pushing myself (positions etc) but in the end he just wasn't budging so I'm pleased they were able to get him out.

When I was recovering after a midwife came in to me and asked me about the birth and said 'oh, that's a shame are you going to try for a natural birth next time?' I could have punched her. Yes, I had a ventouse because I didn't try hard enough. Sigh.

it 'was' sarcasm ladies!! The lowest form of wit, yes i know, but i spent 4 years at uni learning to perfect my 'uneducated' sarcasm with honours (not in medical science you wont be surprised to hear). Didnt mean to offend anyone. xx

Thanks for clarifying :) Glad I wasn't the only one to miss it!

I find it absolutely amazing how different two similar threads in two different sections play out. I'm not sure if anyone caught the "Did I have a natural birth?" thread while it was in Baby Club, but it eventually got moved into the debates section! I love Home and Natural Birth section! You ladies are amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->