What is this stuff on my cloth diapers?!

I just read something about a mom who had a mouldy seal in her washer. Maybe you can get a repair person to come check it out and potentially replace a seal? That was the solution for this particular woman.

It really sounds like you have an unidentified source of mould somewhere.

I know, but it is hard to identify. :dohh:

We got the washer with the house, so we aren't the first owners. It is 12 years old. There is mildew in the seal. We have bleached it a few times! I think it is older and poorly designed. I am thinking about a used top loader...

I just read something about a mom who had a mouldy seal in her washer. Maybe you can get a repair person to come check it out and potentially replace a seal? That was the solution for this particular woman.

It really sounds like you have an unidentified source of mould somewhere.

I know, but it is hard to identify. :dohh:

We got the washer with the house, so we aren't the first owners. It is 12 years old. There is mildew in the seal. We have bleached it a few times! I think it is older and poorly designed. I am thinking about a used top loader...

You've certainly covered your bases. I wonder if you could wash it with bleach in someone else's washer before you make that purchase? If it doesn't return, you can rule out or identity your washer as the source.

I'm frustrated for you lol

Thanks!

Just googled my washer (Maytag Neptune 2002). Apparently there was a class action lawsuit over these machines because of mould!

Ah! That sucks about the washer, but this means your dipes have a fighting chance!!!

The fact that you've tried everything to the diapers and it keeps returning... I'd say it's a good bet it's the washer.

I just read that even after some people cleaned the seal, it would get mouldy again after only a couple days :(

Ah that's annoying but at least you know you're not doing anything wrong. Is a new/preloved washing machine an option for you? If there's mould on your nappies, it's probably all over clothes too but won't grow as they won't be wet for as long :(

I am starting to think a brand new set is in order. Maybe in a cute color even. :happydance:

Interesting development...

While waiting for my hot new washer and dryer to arrive, I put LO in disposables and decided to experiment again with mold removal techniques. I decided to do this on my BG Elemental diaper (it has the worst mold and I never really liked it anyhow, which is why I only bought one!)

First, I tried a lemon juice/ salt mixture with sunning. This was an idea I found online. It removed poo stains brilliantly, but the mold spots remained, strong as ever.

Then, I tried Oxiclean. Now I tried this before and last time, I didn't notice much difference. But this time, I accidentally forgot the diaper in the bowl and it soaked all day long. When I finally discovered it, I was delighted. The stains were pretty much gone!!! :happydance: some of the more stubborn flecks remained, but they were pale orange instead of black and you really had to look hard to see them!

I have decided to repeat tomorrow. Maybe I can completely get rid of the stains!

Now I know it is probably hard on the pul, but that is why I am trying it with just the one dipe first.

Promising so far. :thumbup:

Great news.

Have you tried making a paste with the Oxiclean instead of soaking the whole nappy, as shown in the video here? https://www.dri-pak.co.uk/soda-crystals-laundry-boost.html#.U0vNWFfjZMI It's not Oxiclean but it's a similar kind of product so I assume it would work in a similar way and would mean you didn't have to soak the whole nappy with PUL. You'd be getting a more concentrated mix of the Oxiclean on the marks too so it might work even better/not take as long. I've been quite pleased with the results when using stain removers like that.

Great news! I managed to remove the mold AND the stains from all my diapers and have been mold-free for 2 weeks!:happydance:

Here is what I did (in case it helps others...)

1) Replace my washer. In my case, the washer was the cause of my mold issues. (BTW, my new washer/dryer rock!)

2) Wash everything(diapers, wipes, wet bags) on a hot cycle with 1/4 cup bleach. This had to be done for my own peace of mind to ensure the mold was dead.

3) Soak everything in Oxiclean and hot water to remove the stains. In the natural fiber diapers, the stains were gone after a 24 hour soak. My minky Tot Bots had to be soaked 2-3 times for 24 hours each soak in order for the stains to go. I knew I was risking damage to my diapers by soaking so long, but I needed those stains gone or I was going to toss the dipes anyway. I just couldn't bear putting mold stains on my LO and I wanted to know that if I ever saw a spot again that it was new!

4) Hot washed everything and did 8 rinses to ensure the chemicals were rinsed away (LO has sensitive skin).

I was a little scared that I might have killed my diapers, but I have been using them day and night for two weeks and they are perfectly fine. The pul looks and works awesome, absolutely no issues and not a single trace of mold. :thumbup:

The only casualties were my Planetwise wet bags. The colors faded and they have been leaking. But a small price to pay considering I thought I would have to toss everything and start new.

Yipee!!! :happydance:

One more note: I have read that some people have had success removing the stains with a lemon juice/salt paste and sunshine. This did not work for me, I think because my stains had set in the dryer. Might be worth trying before Oxiclean though as it wouldn't be as hard on the diapers!

Amazing news! I'm so glad you persevered with it :) Shame about the wetbags but I'm sure you can find a use for them (I use old wetbags for CSP and small ones are used for keeping small things like hair clips, character toys etc together in my handbag) and any excuse to buy pretty things is good in my book!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->