What is YOUR name (and your partners!)?

My name is Mariana- in Spanish which is my first language, I like it. In English I struggled with how to explain it to all my teachers, friends and even as I got older to my coworkers and even OH. I found myself conforming to its most common English pronunciation when I was a kid- Mary-Anna when it really is closer to Mah Ree Ah Na with the ree being a soft R which not many people can do. I also hated not finding my name on a keychain either, as a kid, but that really was the least of my worries.

The positives on the name-I have yet to find anyone that will criticize it, besides myself lol. Everyone tells me its a beautiful name and loves it. Oh well :shrug:

OH is Tammy Lynn-Not Tamara, just Tammy. She likes Tammy though it doesn't fit her personality really; she more likes the meaning behind why her mom named her so (after the 1950's/60's movies Tammy and the Bachelor etc.) versus actually really liking her name. It gets its share of misspellings mostly because people spell it with an i at the end or with only one m, and it gets its share of-"oh, Tamera, Tamara?" which she is not.

Lynn she doesn't have much an opinion on other than her and her sisters having such Country names which she laughs at.

I'm emma, very common, plenty of others at school, its an alright name nothing special, when i was younger i wished my mum had at least put a g/j at the front!
But was happy my name was the same as a spice girl :haha:

Now i'm older its fine, everyone can spell it, everyone's heard of it.

OH's name is michael, he doesn't like it one bit, wished he was called something else.
Always known as mike, which he just has to live with i suppose :haha:

I'm Sinead (pronounced Shin aid) I quite like it, it's not that common and it's an Irish name.

OH is Danny Kevin which he isn't too keen on. He really dislikes his middle name. I call him Dan, though, which he prefers.

My name is Edwina. Growing up I didn't love it, it was always a bit old fashioned and not very girly. As I got older I liked the fact that there weren't many. I petty much go by Eddie or Ed to people I know well, and I like that is a bit unisex as a name.

My husband is Jackson. He hasn't ever had a problem with his name. Obviously these days it's quite popular but not really back when he was born. I call him jack mostly and friends call him jacko, but professionally he's Jackson.

My name is Nicole Heather. Not really a fan of it, I like more girly names and I feel like Nicole is harsh sounding. When I was in elementary school, I knew at least 7 other Nicole's. It didn't bother me though. Sometimes my family calls me Nikki, sometimes acquaintances will think it's cute to call me Nick, and I've even got Coley before (the worst). As pp said, no one seems to be able to spell Nicole and I'm not sure why it's so difficult as every Nicole I've ever known is 'Nicole' not 'Nichole' or 'Nikole'. I have an aunt who has been in my family since before I was born yet still addresses me as 'Nichole' on every card, etc. :shrugs:. Heather is terrible in my opinion, doesn't go with Nicole at all but who knows lol.

DH is Christopher Martin. He goes by Chris. I think he likes his name, he's never really commented about it. It's too common for me I think if we ever have a son but nice anyway.

:flower:

My name is Laurel Robyn and I absolutely love it. I only met one or two other Laurel's growing up and we always felt such a closeness to each other because our name was pretty rare. I love my middle name, too. I loved having a unique name, made me feel special and there was never another Laurel in my classes.

It's also fun as a kid having people guess how your name is spelled. You'd think Laurel is easy enough, but I get Laural or Laral a lot. Meh, not a big deal.

I would get people who thought they were really clever in school and start rhyming things with my name: floral, coral, moral, oral (that was especially annoying). But I didn't really care, honestly. It happened rarely and by stupid people I hardly saw around school.

My hubs is Michael Shane, he was named after his dad. As a kid he really resented having the same name as his dad. He didn't feel like he had his own identity and when people called his dad in the home, he would think it was him. It was confusing and annoying. Now, he's fine with it. Prefers Mike but his friends mostly call him Starky (last name is Stark).

My name is Eleanor (known to most people as Ellie), DH's name is Finlay (often known as Fin). We both like our names, I didn't know any other Eleanor/Ellie's growing up which I liked and I think it's quite a pretty name. DH liked his name as it was uncommon too. Now they are both super common- we always hear people shouting "Finlay/Ellie BEHAVE" and turn around feeling guilty thinking its us being called :haha:

My name is Eleanor (known to most people as Ellie), DH's name is Finlay (often known as Fin). We both like our names, I didn't know any other Eleanor/Ellie's growing up which I liked and I think it's quite a pretty name. DH liked his name as it was uncommon too. Now they are both super common- we always hear people shouting "Finlay/Ellie BEHAVE" and turn around feeling guilty thinking its us being called :haha:

I get that all the time with my name! (Emily) I was one of only like 2 Emilys in school, but now there are little Emilys everywhere! I hear someone yell, "Emily, stop it!" And of course I turn around to see who is yelling at me. :haha:

My name is Kirsten. I normally go by Kirsty. It's ok, never had anything bad said about it.

My husband is Adam.

My name is Elizabeth Lawson and OH is Cameron John. Mine is very common, but OH's was quite unusual when and where he was named.
I go my Ellie or Lizzie, and OH goes my Cam.

I'm Lucy Oh is Liam we both like our names and have never been teased because of them ! ( Liam used to get called mail a lot buy his friends at school Cus it's obviously Liam backwards lol) x

My name is Carlie. I don't mind it however people always spell it Carly, and sometimes when people read it out they pronounce it Charlie :dohh:

Fiance's name is Luke. Very common, only one way to spell and pronounce it, enough said lol

My name is Elyse. I used to hate my name when I was younger, now I like it. I get Elle, Ellie, Lysey as nicknames. People have trouble pronouncing it sometimes, they think it's Alicia/Elsie :wacko: People also think it's spelt Elise when I say it.

Fiance's name is Joshua, he hates his name (I like it)and just goes by Josh. No one misspells it or pronounces it differently.

Both have never been teased about our names :)

My name is Debra Elizabeth ~ It's an okay name, it was more popular in the 50's & 60's though.

My husband is Keith Michael ~ He's never really said anything about his name, I think he likes it.

My name is Vaela (Vay-luh) and my middle name is Dee. I love my name. Not so much my middle name but I've grown to like the sentimentality of it (my mom is Mary Dee, she goes by Dee. her grandmother was Olly Dee. Now my daughter is Caoimhe Dee). I've always loved my first name because it's unique, I've -never- met another Vaela, I'm also basically the only Vaela on facebook which is nice lulz. People have a hard time pronouncing it but it doesn't bother me at all. I always get compliments and it's a nice conversation starter which is good because I'm hella awkward. I get called Vae sometimes (mostly in typing) and I also get called V a lot especially by one friend we have.

My husband's name is Jonathan Francis. He likes Francis but he gets made fun of a lot for it (including by me). He also is okay with the name Jonathan, but people have a hard time spelling it right (always wanting to do Jonathon or Johnathan) and people like to take the liberty of calling him John without asking him if it's okay. His fam calls him Jonny and I've taken to calling him Jonny recently but he HATES it. I also refer to him as J a lot, mostly when typing. I'm not a huge fan of his name, I think it's boring.

My name is Whitney. I have always been pretty neutral with it. It is a good name, but there were 4 other Whitneys in my graduating class of 200. It gets shortened to Whit, and I like it most of the time, because it feels more friendly. However, all of my close friends and family use Whitney.

My dh name is Quint. I like how different it is. He likes it too. As far as I know he was never made fun of because of it. It is hard to get across to people though (especially because I have a bit of a hick accent and almost completely drop the t.) He often gets called Quinn or Clint. Or some just shorten it to Q.

My name is Michelle, and I never knew of another Michelle until my older brother decided to date one in my teen years. I guess I like my name, though I like shortening it to just Chelle. I do hate it being pronounced as 'Me-Shell' though.

Hubby is David, though he mostly goes by Dave. His parents will call him Davey at times. David was a really common name during our school years, he was one of seven in our year alone.

Hello!

My name is Kimberlee, I love it, it's spelt slightly unique and I haven't met a lot of Kimberlee's for someone that has moved around the states several times and has gone to 11 schools!

My husband's name is Kota, the one thing he can not stand about it is when people do "KoDa" or assume his name is Dakota- it is just plain Kota. :)

I like this thread! :)

My name is Faye Louise & i love it, and only known 2 or 3 others named this so like that its not popular.
DH is Leigh David, i love it and he doesn't mind it, but hates having to spell as people assume its spelt like Lee! I think Leigh is much nicer! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->