what makes a inny or an outy

loopy_lou

Reaction score
Hi

Ok last couple of nights the question about what makes an inny or an outy has been going around my head. :shrug:

Any ideas?

Loopy

Sorry, I can't answer but I am very interested to find out
X

As far as I can tell, random chance.

I've read several theories - some doctors say it is random. Others say it can be due to an umbilical hernia which usually fixes itself within a few years. My little girl has an outie (and had an umbilical hernia.) Only about 10% of the population has an outie. When I was little I used to think it was cuz the doctor hadn't cut the cord off properly!

Makes me laugh. I often read birth plans requesting an innie belly button LOL. Cutting the cord is certainly not a way of acheiving either an innie or an outty :)

oh- I always thought it was how the cord was cut and tied. Is it not that?

nooo its not that, just chance i guess, maybe the hernia thing! but you cant cut it a certain way to get either innie or outies

The cord's not tied anyway, it's clamped. I think an umbilical hernia is the most likely cause.

glad i have triggerd such an intresting debate :)

thats weird, i had an outy as a child which gradually become and inny. hows that??? lol

i wonderd about that too! charlies got a massive outie sticks out looooads!

thats weird, i had an outy as a child which gradually become and inny. hows that??? lol

Ha ha, me too, it literally popped in overnight when I was 13 and I was just like "whoooa where'd it go??" For some reason I felt grown up having an innie.

my daughters isnt fully in or fully out lol just flush with her belly i would say lol weird but i think its just by chance she doesnt have any thing wrong there xxxx

Think about it. Just like why does someones ears stick out or shaped the way they are. Genetics, family inheritance, hernias etc. The cord of a baby is clamped then cut. Where it is clamped and cut is on the actual cord itself which dies and falls off with no contact on the belly button area itself. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->