what next?

isil

Reaction score
Alasdair is now consistenly finishing 9 oz bottles. He has been doing this for well over a week (although to start with I thought it was just a growth spurt)

I don't think I'm overfeeding him because his weight gain has been rubbish for a while (in fact, I haven't had him weighed for a few weeks as I'm so worried about being told off) and I can kind of see that he isn't growing much - his clothes are getting baggier if anything :(

He seems quite happy when he is awake but goes through a couple of days a week when all he does is sleep. I'll keep an eye on it but may take him to the drs just to check all is ok.

But anyway, my question is this, when he isn't content to have a 9oz feed (he is draining every drop now) - what will I do?! Get another bottle and give him a 10oz feed?! He's not even 3 months yet!

I was in a similar situation not so long ago...i give my bubs a feed every 4 hours roughly...however instead of 4 hours i gave him a feed every 3hours...i spoke to my HV about this and she really didnt have any advise so i did what i thought was right...but it was strange as i did it for about a week and then slowly went back to every 4 hours and he was fine...Sorry hunny i can't offer more advise...its a difficult one...or maybe you could give him some water inbetween feeds...just a sugesstion hun...Goodluck babexx

Tom had a bad few weeks when he was the same age and dropped off his growth line, he then followed this up by two weeks of stuffing his face and downing 9oz feed every 4 hours no problem, then crying for more. I just held out and gave him more if he would take it and eventually he went back to normal - It was just a massive growth spurt. sure enough, when i had him weighed, he had gone back to his growth line.

You need to get him weighed if his weight gain isnt consistent with his feeds and there may be a problem with him. Dont take it personally - nothing you are doing is effecting his weight. You just want to do what is best.

I have to say though, that very shortly after his growth spurt, he started demanding feeds earlier and earlier and waking in the night every 3-4 hours when he always slept through. and the only thing that sovled it was early weaning. try to hold off for as long as possible though and make sure you have your HV or docs backing. if you dont agree with them, see someone else.

thank you both of you! I know it is a tricky one! Alasdair is currently having feeds at 8, 11, 2, 5 and 8 (well often more like 7:30!) and then sleeping through. So he's having 9oz feeds at all these times plus boob 3 times a day! I'm not quite sure where he is putting it all lol. I am going to get him weighed next week. I think I am going to go to a new clinic so that I get a different opinion about it all. I was thinking about hungry baby milk but for some reason I am really against it?!?! I know I am probably going to end up weaning a little early but I was hoping to get to 5 months! My Mum and Aunt (who is a Health Visitor) have both said that they think we'll get to 4 months and then he'll be desperate to move on...

He seems to be a little more alert today and for now he is fairly content with his 9oz. Fingers crossed it'll continue for a bit longer!

Caitlyn used to eat like that. Now she won't take a whole bottle and doesn't feed very much on my breast. She is gaining weight so slowly now, but any weight gain is fine.

He will only eat what he needs, so don't worry!

I just can't figure it out - he was taking 3/4 oz and gaining massively and now he's taking so much and last time he was weighed he'd lost 4 oz! Funny boy...

His body is probably going through a growth spurt and actually using all the milk he's drinking/eating x

As far as I know the hungry baby milk is more designed for babies who are drinking too much and putting on weight too quickly.......? I think this is right. Example if he was putting on like over a pound a week AND taking loads of oz's and breastfeeds. If he goes on hungry baby he might start reducing the amount he takes and therefore not get enough nutrients in.

I read the back of SMA white today and it says that it's for babies who still seem hungry after their normal feed and aren't ready for weaning yet. Or it can delay weaning. It's just based on a different type of protein (casien or something?) Anyhoo, I won't be changing Ally on to it unless I'm advised to. I've read bad things about it causing babies to throw up lots!

A friend had the same issue at roughly the same age. Drs advice was to start on rice cereal. I have given it to my LO a couple of times as well. good luck

You can try to give him some rice cereal with your breast milk or formula not much just a lil tea spoon and see if it helps ..but as Toria said it can be a growth spurt but if it lasts more then 2 weeks then its not according to my HV

I had to switch max on 6-18+ formula cause his other one wasent cutting it

stage 2 formula really helped with tom - i know what you mean about being against it for no obvious reason - i really wanted to hold out but just snapped one evening and rushed out and got it.

Hope it is just a growth spurt tho! feeding just gets harder when you wean lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->