What rights does he exactly have?

dollygirlie

Mother
Reaction score
I went up to register my babies birth and he signed the birth cert, I have been having a lot of problems with him, lack of support, affairs etc during the time I have been pregnant, the health visitor said he is entitled to share half the responsibility of my daughter, how much right does he have over her, is he entitled to just take her off when he feels like it, I am really fearing for her safety, as he is hanging around a drunk woman for a start, he has been having an affair with, he has no responsibility - he treated me terrible during my relationship with me, starving me etc to get me thin, I am just terribly worried what he could do with her. I am seeing a relate counciller tomorrow, and my health visitor said I ought to see a solicitor to hammer out some ground betwen us, ?

as far as rights from what i read/talked to sol about he has exact same rights as you.

he can take baby for upto a month/not give him back after a day out etc. acording to my sol apparently without anybody batting an eyelid, no permission needed from you and it wont be classed as an offence to the police as he's the father.

him having an affair wont make the people in a court see him as a bad daddy... that's between you to. not him/you and the child. unless he has done anything to that child then he's welcome enough in that childs life it seems. obv violence to you wouldn't be acceptable by them and more investigation would be done.

you have from what my solicitor said we have more rights in certain aspects such as choosing a school/dr etc. if you picked them and he went running to solicitor to try and stop youit would have to be a bloody good reason eg. not 'i went there/all my family did my baby should go there too' kwim?

if no agreement can be made bya sol from what he said to me then it can go to mediation then onto courts. but bothof you will be watched to see how you react/interact with/to that child so they can report back to court.

if you went to mediation from what mediation told me, you have to be alone unless he says it's ok to have a friend with you. as iwanted partner with me when it looked like me and ex would end up in this situation and they said not if my ex didn't giveconsent... vice vers for me agreeing to exs friend etc.

don't just think things are black and white like 'he hit me when i was with him, think he'll do same to baby' and sol/law envolved will be all like 'ohwell inthat case he can't see him' it aint like that, there are supervised contact places/areas aswell as asking a family member of his/yours that he agrees to to be with him and baby.

if you are trying to keep him away from baby then i suggest you write everything he does to you with date and time and also report to the police anything you aren't comfortable with so atleast then it's on record. go see a sol and find out the ins and outs, not sure if you work or not if you don't youcan get legal aid which wont cost nothing.
xXx

Your ex can't take her when ever he wants, or take her from anyone you leave her with, but he does have every right to see her. But if you know that the woman is a drunk then you have every right to tell him she cant see her, and there is nothing he can do about it.
You are still her main parent as she lives at your home :D, this is what a court told me a few years ago, I hope this helps :D

thanks Mummytwice, I am not against him seeing her, but I am just worried she will be subjected to his lack of care, as I was, and her being around this woman, I need to hammer out some middle ground with a solicitor.

Your totally welcome, Try not to let them take advantage of you. Good Luck :D

But if you know that the woman is a drunk then you have every right to tell him she cant see her, and there is nothing he can do about it.
You are still her main parent as she lives at your home :D, this is what a court told me a few years ago, I hope this helps :D

Sorry to contradict but I think you'll find that when the child is with its father the mother has no right to say who he can and cant see while with baby. In this situation it sucks, but you'll have to go to court to get an order against this woman from seeing your child.

Since the father's name is on the birthcertificate he has the exact same rights and responsibilities as you... If you think something is wrong then you have to go to court in order to get some of those rights taken away...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->