What shoes for school?

DCS

Reaction score
DS has finally gone up a shoe size. So I'm looking for new shoes/ trainers.
I'm just wondering what school shoes people get for their Los. DS is 5.
We got him a pair of clarks last year which lasted 6 months before they fell apart with holes in and stitching coming apart. Then we tried a few supermarket pairs, same thing happened after a few months. Finally we gave up and he just wore his trainers to school.
I'm not sure if I should go for a pair of clarks specifically for school.
My other option is get him a pair of good quality trainers, lightweight, like the Nike Roche or something similar and keep them for school and everyday wear.
So now I'm stuck and not sure what to do. He is an 11g . I'm clearly over thinking this, but it's a well known fact that I do overthink everything. Thanks in advance.

My daughter had clarks last year for school and they lasted so well (although she needed a new pair halfway through as she went up a size) although I don't think she is that rough on her shoes.

She has Lelli Kelly ones this year.

What about startrite? Their shoes have always been great when I've bought them for my girls (never school shoes though) x

I've got these https://www.marksandspencer.com/lea...0_X_EC_0&color=BLACK&prevPage=plp&pdpredirect for ds1 twice now, they wear well and are cheap for leather. Eta there is often 20% off so it's even better. My ds only did three days in nursery though so we'll see what happens in school! I anticipate what the others have said that they won't last very long!

We've tried everything for my ds and nothing lasted very long, he went through 3 pairs last year which included a supermarket cheap pair and then 2 branded pairs. He is a typical boy though and was constantly outside on the climbing frame, I hoping they'll last longer when he goes into year 1

I honestly don't think it matters what brand you buy. If the kids play rough and hard, the shoes will get destroyed quickly. LOL. I typically buy Stride rite, Skechers, or new balance for the boys for school. More for the better fit and overall quality, but my kids definitely are rough on all shoes and clothing, so they only tend to last maybe 4 months or so before they are worn out.

My daughter had Clarks last year and lasted well. Still fine now but just outgrown. They were school shoes range. Trainers were from else where but lasted fine but they only really used them in summer term. We will do Clarks again this year as have half sizes which dd needs. I know some people rebought in year but was more the children who played more roughly and playing lots of football at lunch time

My daughter got through three pairs of shoes - one per term ( reception year ) , I bought two pairs of clarks and a pair of kangols which wore much better than the clarks, I've just bought some from marks and Spencer which seem good value for leather shoes, but I have resigned myself to buying a pair each term during these early years as they play hard at 5 !

Louis has Start-rite. One pair have lasted him all year in reception, still lovely but a tiny bit small now. He has another pair for this school year.

Last year, my youngest went through I think 4 pairs and they were all supermarket ones costing between £10-£16 each, I will not be doing that this year.
Im thinking of going with trainers this year, all of my children have been out doors, sporty types and my son had trainers last year and they did him right up to the last 3 weeks of the year as he had a growth spurt (hes 9.)
So going to go down that route for my youngest I think too x

I think it diffinately may be because he is quite rough on his shoes. I wonder if places like clarks use real kids to test their shoes, ds would be perfect for that.
We ended up getting his a pair of Nike roshe because he said they were the comfiest, he also has a pair of asda shoes which surprisingly still fit him, so have decided to stick to the two pairs, and pick up another pair in a few weeks. I could not deal with the chaos in Town the otherday, too hot, too many people, kids screaming everywhere, and then my dd, who decided to try eating the Styrofoam out of a pair of shoes.

He wanted the stupid clarks glowform shoes, because they come with a toy, but they weren't comfy. I may just throw a kinder egg in the box once the shoes arrive.

We have just got some more Clarks for this School year. We have always found that Clarks lasted the longest.

We tried Asda ones last year but they lasted a few weeks before they basically fell apart. Replaced with Clarks, which lasted until the end of School year.

We've tried supermarket ones, next, sketchers, kickers, Clarks and hush puppies.
Have found that hush puppies are the best, last longer and still look pretty good after 4 terms which is good going here. Neither dd1 or 2 needed new until the end of year and dd3 only did as she outgrew them.
Would never buy supermarket again, I worked out I could have brought 3 pairs of Clarks the amount of shoes I brought in the first months of trying them, dd3 literally had 1 pair for 5 days before there was a whole in them :growlmad:

My son had a pair of Clarks shoes this year.They look ready for the bin now but they lasted the whole year.

My son is an H+ width so I just about always goes to clarks. Last year they lasted the entire year and my son isn't careful with his shoes! He's just started primary 2 and he has clarks again.

We got Clarks for Callum because he is very active and wrecked 3 other pairs of shoes last year (badly - with very very scuffed toes on the shoes!) and they are the only ones that didn't get ruined. They have lasted so well that we can use them again this year as he is the same size.

My son had clarks in reception that lasted until easter. He then had start-rite ones last year in yr1 which lasted the whole year, they had a hole in them by the last few weeks, but we still wearable.

I've gone for Vivo Barefoot ones this year as it meant I could order online and not deal with having to go in to town. Also, both dc have vivo barefoot shoes as out of school shoes and they very hard wearing & comfy. We'll see if they stand the test of everyday school wear though

I've gone for Clarks. I just went in to get them measured with the view that if they weren't helpful I would go somewhere else (have had sloppy measuring wrong sizing etc in the past). Well she was very helpful, took time making sure they fit and they had both grown so I went with them. They're going to wear them for hours 5 days a week so I wanted to get good ones.

I buy kickers for my boys & they last quiet well I think. I don't buy the ones with the ridge round the top as I think the leather is too soft & they would destroy them in days. I get the ones with the rounded toes which seem to be much more hard wearing. I tend to buy my oldest two pairs of school shoes a year, once at the start of the school year & again end of January beginning of February. His feet tend to have grown by that point & he is very rough with his feet. The toes always get scuffed as he climbs everything but after a quick polish they always come up gleaming.

My youngest is only just starting reception next week & he went to private nursery before where he wore what ever I put on him.

I know different schools have different policies regarding shoes. My friends boys school have to have indoor smart shoes & outdoor sport shoes, where as my sons school they have to wear the same smart shoes all day. He has them in from 8.30am until he comes home at 3.30pm so it's inevitable that they wear out much more quickly given what he does in them in a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->