What should a 12 month old be eating?

snowqueen

Reaction score
I ask this because I don't think my son is eating enough solids and no finger foods. He gags on finger foods and will only eat stage 2 fruits and some vegtables. He won't eat stage 2 chicken or turkey, he gags. I haven't tried stage 3 fruits/veggies though.

If I don't feed him 4 bottles he won't have many wet diapers during the day.

I just got him to eat gerber puffs. Before he would gag on it. I did a research on the internet and apparently based on what I read that this is a common problem (gag on finger foods) with other people but I haven't read any solutions.

Basically my son will eat 4 bottles of formula a day, a bowl of gerber oatmeal and one stage 2 fruit or veggi.

I want to get him on whole milk but he is on soy forumla (dr suggestion since he was colic when born). He was allergy tested because he had eczema and it came up that he is allergic to eggs, milk and peanuts, however, my pediatrician said allergy testing is not as accurate in babies this young.

He is fine weight wise and he is taller than average for his height so that's good. Someone suggested that I feed him toast with butter but my husband thinks the baby will choke on it. I was also given the suggestion to give him shredded cheese.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gagging is perfectly normal, safe and part of the learning process.
The more opportunity he's given to learn how to control the food he takes, the less he will gag.

Gagging isn't choking and it's nothing to worry about - it's LOs natural reflexes kicking in to stop choking. Gagging is caused when too big a bit of food is taken too far back in the mouth and by this happening is what teaches your LO about how big a bit of food he should take and how to control it.

There isn't any "solution" because it isn't a "problem".. He will stop gagging as much as he learns how to handle mouthfuls.

HTH

Toast will be fine if given in small bites not the edges, My lo loves cheese toast and cheerios. Also try diced fruits (no sugar or low sugar if possible). Bananas- bite size pieces - Yogurt - cottage cheese - grits
Hope this helps a little

Thanks so much everyone. I tried little pieces of banana but he gags on that. But when he gags, he will throw up food. I didn't mention in that in my prior post, sorry about that!

Thanks so much everyone. I tried little pieces of banana but he gags on that. But when he gags, he will throw up food. I didn't mention in that in my prior post, sorry about that!

That's fine hun!
Just give him a little while and he'll get the hang of it. Funnily, banana is one thing that my LO struggles with still (we're doing BLW so all she's ever had is 'finger food' and still gags on banana lol)

It will take a while but gagging really is just part and parcel and nothing to worry about, it'll soon ease and then hardly ever happen x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->