What tests do the obgyns do when you have no idea why you're not getting pregnant?

Jaxie086

Reaction score
I posted this in the LTTC forum but haven't received any responses yet. So I thought I'd post it here too:
We've been trying for almost a year. I technically got pregnant last october but it didn't stick. I haven't gotten pregnant since.

I really thought I was pregnant this time around. I was burping constantly and had some bleeding gums when I would brush my teeth. Both symptoms are highly unusual for me. I also had a few short spurts of mild dizziness. But, took a test friday when af was due and got a bfn. Then saturday I had light pink/brown discharge and figured af had arrived. Only, the light discharge continued the whole day and af didn't actually arrive until today (sunday). Having a whole day of light discharge is highly unusual for me.

Anyways....

Until now, I've kind of chalked up not getting pregnant to our current stress. Both my husband and I are just not happy where we are living right now and my husband is so unhappy with his job. We are moving next year but, for now, this is where we are stuck.

But now a part of me is worried that it's not just stress.

For those of you that have been to the doctor, what kinds of tests did they do? I have no information to give my doctor that point to anything that might be wrong (except for what happened this cycle). I have regular cycles, I track my ovulation, I feel fine, I'm relatively healthy. What tests do they do when you come in with no idea why you're not getting pregnant? How long after ttc did you wait before you went?

Im sorry, I cant help you, but I would like to follow your post for some answers, as we're considering going to a dr because we just arent falling.

I've been TTC for a while now, approaching a year. My obgyn over the last 3-4 months has done the following:

a SA on my husband (results perfect)
Hormone draws on my day 3,4,5 and day 21, 23 (assumed 14 days post ov) ...until we figured out my ov actually only happens day 25,26,27 avg. So we drew 7 days after a positive ov test.
I've had pelvic u/s to look for cysts etc
And basically a health history (what my cycles are like on avg, length etc)

I also have a history of slight irregular cycles, skipping a few months at a time the first 2 years being off the pI'll

Despite all that there doesn't seem to be a definite answer. She's thinking late ovulation coupled with short luteal phase may be playing a role.

Actually this is my first month she prescribed serophene (clomid) to help Jumpstart ovulation and maybe a stronger one to help with my progesterone levels.

We'll see how it goes! Good luck lady! The tests are mostly blood but an ultrasound is also a good thing too!

A typical infertility workup for a woman is a hormone panel which will check fsh, thyroid, prolactin, progesterone etc. They may test cholesterol and fasting blood sugar as well. Many doctors will also do a diagnostic u/s to see if they can detect anything that way. Sometimes and HSG is done which injects dye into your cervix and imaging is done so the doctor can see if there is any blockage in your tubes. For your husband, a semen analysis is ordered.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->