What to Expect From Consultant / Scan?

Discussion in 'Twins, Triplets & Multiples' started by Anna1982, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Anna1982

Anna1982 mummy of 4

Hiya

Ive had my 20 weeks scan re arranged to Tuesday this week coming, and then theyve booked me in with my consultant an hour after it

I know he wanted to see me after the 20 weeks scan so he can decide a care plan,

I was just wondering what I can expect from the scan and consultant?

also when they label one baby a and one baby b do they stay the same all way through? (silly question but we have decided on names but want to make sure which is which lol)

oh and one last thing my uterous is higher than expected the midwife says why could that be (higher than expected for twins)

thanks anna

2. Laura2919

Laura2919 Team Twilight!!

My consulant jsut talked about delivery options, when I should go on mat leave, all about resting and what carrying twins can be like. Its just really to make sure your well plus they might go over your scan with you. Show you where everything on babies are.

Chloe was always twin 1 from they day we found out and Jaycee was always twin2

3. TinkerJess

TinkerJess Well-Known Member

At my scan they labelled the twins 1 and 2. But to be honest the consultant didn't give me much more info than the midwife.

Just the usual bp checks etc, and was telling me about how the twins positions would affect my delivery options.:flower:

4. ni2ki

ni2ki 3yr old and twin girls

I was wondering what to expect with consultant too, theyve got me in on 31st, 2nd and 14th no idea why x

5. bek74

bek74 Mum of 5

Twin 1 is always twin 1 and same goes with twin 2.

Twin one is the one closest to the cervix, although they move about they don't change status.

6. Anna1982

Anna1982 mummy of 4

thanks ladies
    so our twin one is holly and twin 2 is lily for definate

hoping at the scan theyll tell me where the placentas are as i thought they were anterior but my midwife says there nothing in the notes to say that
    also wanting to know how theyre laying lol

7. TinkerJess

TinkerJess Well-Known Member

I got a detailed report on both twins, saying all there measurements, position and positions of the placenta's.:flower:

8. tanzarini

tanzarini Mum to 3 amazing kids!!

Twin 1 and twin 2 changed according to which sonographer did the scan!!! But as we found out it was b/g twins it didn't really matter :) twin 1 was always the 'presenting' twin which kept changing at every scan!
    I saw my consultant after each scan (4 weekly then 2 weekly after 30 weeks). They did the usual stuff like checking blood pressure and urine etc. And discussed issues that may arise due to it being twins. They also discussed my wishes with regards to delivery etc. It was nothing to be anxious about really :) they just like to keep an extra close eye on twin mummies!!

9. chetnaz

chetnaz Have 3 boys + girl on way

Holly and Lilly are gorgeous names hun. How did you decide which is which may I ask? Just being nosy as I also named my twins while still in the belly. Twin one I decided would be Kaan (which means warrior - he kicked me to death so I thought it was apt) and twin 2 is Kerem (which means to forgive and noble) which seemed to suit him as he seemed the more quiet one. I have to say, they are definately living up to their names.

10. Anna1982

Anna1982 mummy of 4

we decided the twin at the bottom is holly, and the one that feels like shes stuck in my ribs is Lily

we've named all our kids while still inside, it normally takes me and dh weeks to agree on a name!
    so we will have a Morgan, Lucas, Holly and Lily

quite looking forward to having the scan and consultant now, Tuesday seems ages away though

11. Laura2919

Laura2919 Team Twilight!!

Holly and Lily are lovely names.

I had a detailed report too. I had an anterior high and a prosterior high placenta so I was ok.
    She should go through everything with you.

12. BeckyD

BeckyD Me, DH, 2 twin baby girls

Unfortunately we've also had different sonographers label the girls differently.
    Most of them have had the one closest to the cervix as twin 1 but not always.
    I'm now going on the assumption that the slightly larger one is twin 1 and the smaller one is twin 2.