What to say? If anything?

Bella1185

Reaction score
The neighbors across the way have a little grandkid whom I have never met, but I see playing in their yard occasionally when he comes to visit. He's probably 4 or so.... We live on a safe, private street, so I imagine grandparents just let him outside to do his own thing while checking out the window.

Well, I just went outside to do recycling - and I noticed a bunch of stuff from our garage was sitting on our front lawn. Paint brushes, shoes, bucket and sponges, etc. Also, DDs play tent that we had washed and hosed down, and was drying in the garage, was all the way across the yard with more of our garage stuff in it. I am assuming it was the little boy being curious as there are no other kids in the neighborhood and he had been outside on his scooter most of the afternoon. Our garage door was open because of tent drying, but that's perfectly normal for this neighborhood. The only weird thing is he wouldn't have just been able to skip across his yard to get to our garage, he would have had to poke around to get to it because of the distance between our homes and the way they're set.

Should I say anything to the grandparents? We are friendly but not close. I truly don't mind the little kiddo coming around - (in fact I would love DD to have a buddy!) but i am concerned that if he thinks it is okay to go into our garage, then he is libel to go in our back yard and leave the gate open. We have two little dogs and a Doberman puppy - who although he is very gentle - has sharp puppy teeth and can easily knock you over just trying to play.

Think it's worth popping over to mention to the grandparents? Worth a phone call? Or just let it go as a one time thing? If it was DD I'd want to know as I'd warn her against going to people's homes for safety, boundaries, etc.....

Id probably go over very friendly and just say if hes ever bored use could arrange for him to come over and play sometime, then just mention that you noticed hed been in the garage and you have some things that are a bit unsafe for kids in there. Im sure even saying that they will have a word with him about it

You don't know it was him? So no, I wouldn't say anything.

Unless you know it was him, I wouldn't say anything. I would just keep an eye on things in case it happens again. If it does, and you know it was him, I would say something then. I would probably just be inclined to get an inside latch for the back gate if you're concerned.

Thanks everyone!!! Just assuming it was him because I can't imagine any of the grown ups (all of whom I know well - small small neighborhood) deciding to rummage through garage/play in a toddler tent.

An inside latch for the gate is probably just a good idea no matter what!!! I'll have to pick one up!

Thanks again!

We have had the neighbours kids climb in our garden when we wasn't home and play with my daughters toys (heard from another neighbour and one of the kids told us too)they do come over to play with DDs when we are home so I guess they assumed it was an open invite!
I'd be inclined to leave it for now but if it happens again a polite word. Our neighbours now know we don't mind the kids playing in our garden but only if we're home and our kids are there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->