What Type of Nappies do you Use?

kiwimama

Soon to be family of 4!
Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked a million times before, so I'm sorry! But I've decided to make the switch to cloth nappies. Bubs is 13 mths now, so I was a bit late on the uptake, but I figure she still might be in nappies for another year or more, and there will be the next baby to come along too. :thumbup: So just wondering which type you use (aios, fitted, prefold etc.) and how do you find it? It will be a slow gradual change for us, as we've not got much money to splash out on nappies, but I'll be getting a few fitted ones with covers this weekend. :happydance: V excited about this! They have some super cute designs!

We use pockets mainly and a few prefolds. We have a variety of brands going on including bumgenius (V3 and flip), itti bitti's, blueberries, fuzzi bunz, Upsy Daisy nappy (these will no longer be available apart from stores that have stock remaining), pop ins, nature babies, mios and muttaqin off the top of my head so quite a few really. I do prefer my pockets as i find they dry quicker which is quite important factor for us.

I think fitteds are great for her age. They have been my favorite since Hayden became more mobile....he doesn't wear covers around the house, so he gets more air and since he isn't sitting in one spot for long they don't leak. Plus they have some super cute prints, like Goodmamas and Mutts. I also really like pockets...especially Fuzzi Bunz and then also BumGenius organic aio with snaps....for going out, they fit well under clothes.

We use most things, we have AI2s, AIOs, pockets, fitteds, even have a few terries, thought I will be saving them for bump as they are too small for DD now.

More precisely, itti bittis, iish fly, blueberries, weenotions, bumgenius, fuzzi bunz, upsy daisy, dunk n fluff, fluff n stuff, holdens landing, flutterby fluff, muttaqins, jimmy riddles, hollow oak, lucy's hope chest, swaddlebees, erm I think that's it.

That's probably more confusing than helpful, I use fitteds if I know I'm not going to be able to change her in the next 3 hrs, she's a very light wetter though, compared to most 18 month olds, I use wool with all my fitted, I don't think I own a PUL wrap that fits her, though I used pockets 80% of the time as they are soo pretty and easy to use, plus easy for OH and my mum.

It totally depends on your LO, if she's a heavy wetter then I'd go for fitteds and wool, breathable and very reliable when the wool has been lanolised a few times, if not then pockets for ease, I wouldn't reccomend and AIO or AI2 for a toddler to be honest they just aren't reliable, my DS could out pee and itti in 2 mins.

I tend to try and support WAHMs as a WAHM myself, therefore they aren't the cheapest nappies, but they are IMO far better quality, and generally suit heavy wetter's better, with my DS I used all generic nappies and had to boost them so much he was practically wearing 2 nappies.

So basically, you need to work out your priorities, drying time, expense, reliability, cuteness, etc and take it from there, enjoy fluffy shopping!

Thanks for the advice so far ladies - I work fulltime, so they would need to be easy for her carer to deal with and I want them to be fast drying, as I'm not home all day to be hanging things on the line outside.
Sorry but what are the difference between pockets and fitteds? We don't have a lot of choice in NZ, so I suppose I'll have to try several and find the one that works the best.

A fitted required a cover, the nappy is absorbent and will need a seperate waterproof wrap, fleece, or wool. Most reliable but slower to dry and trickier to use.

A pocket is a layer of waterproof fabric and a layer of stay dry fabric (usually fleece, but minkee and suedecloth can also be used) sewn together with a pocket at the back, you put absorbent inserts in the pocket between the 2 layers so once the nappy is made up it can go on like a sposie in one part, but then all comes apart for washing and quick drying.

It sounds like you want a pocket, which is great provided you can find one thats reliable, I'm trying to think if I know of any nappy makers/sellers in NZ, I know lots in Aus, gaah, erm, I've bought fabric from NZ I seem to remember they sold nappies too but nothing special.

I haven't found fitteds take any longer to dry or be any trickier? But if you are wanting something easy for your babysitter to do I would look into pockets mostly. They dry pretty quickly, you can prestuff them and have them ready so all she has to do is put them on like she would a regular disposable diaper

I haven't found fitteds take any longer to dry or be any trickier? But if you are wanting something easy for your babysitter to do I would look into pockets mostly. They dry pretty quickly, you can prestuff them and have them ready so all she has to do is put them on like she would a regular disposable diaper

I didnt mean trickier for her, but rather her childcare provide.

It depends what fitteds you use I guess, most of mine take 2-3 days to dry on an airer

Oh I use low heat to dry mine...but they don't take any longer than the inserts for pockets. I mostly just use Goodmamas and Mutts but goodmamas are pretty thick. I have some nighttime fitteds too and they dry quickly on low heat too, 1-2 drys for the entire load..but that's for pockets, prefolds, or whatever.

Depending on the fitted though like I said you don't even have to use a cover. Or you could, if you liked them more, have her put them on and just put her in fleece pants and then that's the cover she doesn't have to add anything extra.

Ahh I missed GMs off my list, yeah goodmamas and mutts do dry quickly compared to most of my fitted, it's mainly the t&t ones as there is alot of fabric scrunched up round the elastic, especially holdens landings.

Fleece longies are definately a good idea with fitteds for childcare, simple as pockets that way, and fleece is easy to care for and cheap compared to wool.

Good thinking batman

Thanks for the advice ladies! I couldn't help myself and have just bought one from an NZ online cloth nappy store! Not sure what OH will have to say when I tell him (yesterday I had told him I was 'looking' into the idea!) :dohh: It's a NZ owned brand called snazzipants and is a fitted nappy and I bought a lovely cover (PUL) with a cute flowers pattern on it. :cloud9: Next week I'll have the first photo of my little girl with a cloth bum! :happydance: I can't wait to show it off! Only doubts I have are that she is right on the edge of the 2 sizes, so bought the larger size. I suppose if it leaks, I can always get the size down iykwim. And just one last question - you don't need inserts for fitteds do you? But you can use them for extra protection for overnight etc? That right?

Aww can't wait to see pics!!!

Most fitteds do not need inserts, there are some called pocket fitteds that do, but the majority don't. I looked up the type you bought and they look really nice :D Also doesn't look like you'll need an extra insert unless you want to use it for nights or she turns out to be a really heavy wetter. It's better to buy big because with most you can make it fit it will just be more bulky and she can grow into it, if it's too small it won't hold as well. Hopefully the size you bought is just perfect though!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->