What types of fish are safe in pregnancy?

spunky84

TTC #4
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I hate fish. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Anyway, DH said since I haven't tried fish since I was just a kid, he thinks I ought to give it a try, but I've refused for years. So we eventually came to an agreement that if I eat an entire piece of fish, he said I can choose the baby's name.

I'll choke down a piece of fish for that :haha:

So... what types of fish are safe? I know that predatory fish is considered high in mercury. I think tuna you can have so much per week, but tuna in this situation doesn't count.

So if anyone can inform me which types of fish are safe. And if anyone would be so kind to maybe give some suggestions of the least fishy-ish fish that might be easier to choke down, that'd be awesome! :laugh2:

Salmon is ok to have.
Just so you know if the fish tastes or smells "like fish" then it's not fresh. Whiting and cod are very light and flakey though I'm not sure of the mercury levels.

Cod, white pollock (i think its called), haddock all safe to eat i dont like any other fish so im not much help sorry! X

Do you like smoked food? Im not a fan of fish but love smoked haddock. Its safe to eat in pregnancy and is yummy xxx

Is tilapia safe to eat while pregnant? I like lemon pepper seasoned or parmesean crusted tilapia... you may like that spunky! I wouldn't mind eating some but not sure if it's OK right now :shrug:

I've hated fish since being a child too, and DH loves it so I agreed to try cod. I surprisingly liked it (although it was covered in tomato ketchup haha) - so I'd say try cod fillet and if you like sauce just have that too. Now I'll eat it without sauce lol. Good luck!!

Tilapia, cod, haddock, salmon, trout, grouper, catfish, mahi are all safe to eat while pregnant and very good for you. I have craved nothing but fish since i became pregnant, it's a huge part of my diet... I love it!

Wild salmon is my fav and it's got really great benefits ie omegas, anti-inflammatories.

Personally, salmon is my favorite fish to eat. Try searching for recipes on Pinterest and pick one that sounds yummy to you!

Fish that are listed as safe to eat are things like salmon, anchovies, herring, sardines, trout, and Atlantic and Pacific mackerel. Canned tuna is safe in moderation, but don't eat that too often as it's mercury level can vary.

You'll want to avoid fish like shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish because they're high in mercury and also any kind of smoked fish because it could be contaminated with Listeria.

Hope that helps!

Honestly I'd go for tilapia if I were you. Dh just recently started eating fish and so far it's the only one he's been able to stomach. I love salmon, but he really dislikes it, so as an avid fish hater, I would not jump to one with such a strong taste. Being from the north you may be able to get your hands on some fresh walleye (my favorite). If there's no restrictions besides tuna get it deep fried (usually cod) . Tastes so much better than baked imo.

I agree with salmon, there are loads of ways it can be done and it's lovely to eat x

Everyone has already said so, but Salmon is not only safe but is good for your baby's brain development! Two six ounce servings per week (or roughly 2 meals) is recommended.

I like fish, but if you want to reduce the general "fishiness" try having it with a serving of something like mashed potatoes with gravy. I love to mix them together but it sort of makes the fish less potent which might help you if you're not a big fan :)

Here is a good info. Check this link https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/should-pregnant-and-breastfeeding-women-avoid-some-types-of-fish.aspx?CategoryID=54#close

Is tilapia safe to eat while pregnant? I like lemon pepper seasoned or parmesean crusted tilapia... you may like that spunky! I wouldn't mind eating some but not sure if it's OK right now :shrug:

DH is strongly suggesting tilapia. He's actually been trying to get me to try that for quite awhile lol. I think the parm or lemon pepper would be really good. I love either on chicken, so maybe?

Honestly I'd go for tilapia if I were you. Dh just recently started eating fish and so far it's the only one he's been able to stomach. I love salmon, but he really dislikes it, so as an avid fish hater, I would not jump to one with such a strong taste. Being from the north you may be able to get your hands on some fresh walleye (my favorite). If there's no restrictions besides tuna get it deep fried (usually cod) . Tastes so much better than baked imo.

Tilapia does sound like probably the best first choice! I think I'd need to hide the fact that it's fish, maybe by cutting it up small and putting it in batter to make them bite sized.

The walleye reminds me of several years ago when my ex's father kept trying to encourage me to try some. I did. Sort of.

I take a very tiny piece, wrap a bunch of cheese and bread around it and put a ton a mayo on it, and pretty much swallow it whole :haha: I was too afraid to chew it and did everything I could to try and hide the fish so I couldn't see what I was eating.

Everyone has already said so, but Salmon is not only safe but is good for your baby's brain development! Two six ounce servings per week (or roughly 2 meals) is recommended.

I like fish, but if you want to reduce the general "fishiness" try having it with a serving of something like mashed potatoes with gravy. I love to mix them together but it sort of makes the fish less potent which might help you if you're not a big fan :)

That doesn't sound like a bad idea! I've been googling ways to reduce the fish flavor as much as possible. I think if I find a good recipe though, it might not be so bad.

I'd really have to work up to salmon though, I think :laugh2:

Hey just though of this: go to Applebee's and order their fish and chips. It's deep fried goodness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->