what will happen at my 1st appointment with a surgeon about gallbladder?

rachael22

Reaction score
hi ladies well 3 months ago i went back to the doctors about the pains i been getting and she referred me to a surgeon well today ive got the appointment letter and this is what it says:

following our recent conversation we have made an appointment for you to be seen by Miss TH Boyce in the speciality of general surgery at county hospital.

then time and date

please bring with you this letter, a sample of urine and any medication you are currently taking.

then a load of rubbish about cancelling or changing the appointment underneath!

was your letters like this? i hate having urine samples done i was the same when pregnant! and what will happen altogether?

i was just speaking to girl on facebook and she suffering with something completely different to me and she said they will make me have a colonoscopy etc now i am petrified to the point i want to cancel altogether :cry: so please ladies anyone who has been through this please let me know what happens thanks Xx

It is highly unlikely they will make you have a colonoscopy. Even if for some reason they decided it was necessary (and I'd love to know their rationale as the gallbladder has sweet FA to do with the colon), then it wouldn't be done at your first appointment. The surgeon would discuss it with you, give you a chance to ask questions, etc etc.

This other girl, if she is suffering from something completely different do you, why does she think she knows what you are going to need done? Tell her to wind her neck iin and stop worrying you for no good reason.

When I was diagnosed with gallstones, the only tests I had were bloods, ultrasounds, and an MRI. I probably only got the MRI because I have private health insurance, and the original NHS ultrasound didn't pick up the gallstones. (My gallbladder was, and I quote my surgeon, "a sack of marbles", so I don't know how they missed the stones! :dohh:)

The urine sample will most likely be just to dip it to check for any infection etc etc.

I really advise against cancelling the appointment, especially on the back of some dodgy advice from a girl on FB. Your problems aren't going to go away, and I know from experience how bloody awful gallstones are. Go get it sorted :hugs:

It is highly unlikely they will make you have a colonoscopy. Even if for some reason they decided it was necessary (and I'd love to know their rationale as the gallbladder has sweet FA to do with the colon), then it wouldn't be done at your first appointment. The surgeon would discuss it with you, give you a chance to ask questions, etc etc.

This other girl, if she is suffering from something completely different do you, why does she think she knows what you are going to need done? Tell her to wind her neck iin and stop worrying you for no good reason.

When I was diagnosed with gallstones, the only tests I had were bloods, ultrasounds, and an MRI. I probably only got the MRI because I have private health insurance, and the original NHS ultrasound didn't pick up the gallstones. (My gallbladder was, and I quote my surgeon, "a sack of marbles", so I don't know how they missed the stones! :dohh:)

The urine sample will most likely be just to dip it to check for any infection etc etc.

I really advise against cancelling the appointment, especially on the back of some dodgy advice from a girl on FB. Your problems aren't going to go away, and I know from experience how bloody awful gallstones are. Go get it sorted :hugs:

thankyou for your reply, i wont listen to her she obvously sayin it to scare me! i too went for an ultrasound and there was no stones just a polyp so the doctor has refered me, im begining to think they missed the stones?? as a few weeks back wen i pressed where my gallbladder is ,there was sharp pain there Xx

My gallstones weren't picked up on the first ultrasound... So I don't hold a great deal of store by them! Your consultant may arrange for another one, to double check.

Either way, try not to worry. This first appointment will most likely be a fact-finding/confirming affair. Take it steady, let us know how you get on :)

i got my appt through too, just took flippin 8 months, and now, im pregnant with twins lol! but im going to go and see what he says and hopfully it will speed things up once i give birth!

i got my appt through too, just took flippin 8 months, and now, im pregnant with twins lol! but im going to go and see what he says and hopfully it will speed things up once i give birth!

aw congratulations :flower: when is your appointment? and how r u feeling? Xx

When I had my gallbladder taken out they just gave me an utra sound and saw it was packed full of stones. I was 35 weeks pregnant when they found it because I was have a lot of pain in my right shoulder next to my spine. I thought after having the baby it might relieve some, but it didn't. I had it taken out when my son was 6 weeks old. They do the urine test to check the kidneys I think to see if you are spilling protein into your urine. I live in the US, so things are probably done differently country to country. It wasn't so bad. I was really sore afterwards and I was nursing a baby, so that didn't help. I healed pretty quickly I guess. I slept in a recliner chair for about a week or a little longer because I couldn't lay down, plus it was easier while nursing every 2 hours to not have to get up. good luck.

update from me.

had my appt about 4 weeks ago,, he just dismissed me said no way would be tough me in pregnancy (its twins too) and come back in Jan and have another appt! Grrrrr.

then two weeks ago tomorrow i had a terrible gallstone attack, in the worse pain of my life for over 12 hours, no pain releif for most of it due to the pregnancy, ended up in hospital, everyone said wouldnt touch me in pregnancy, far too risky etc etc.

Discharged the following morning, then started being sick couldnt keep anything down, and then started bleeding. sent into hospital who treated me for dyhydration and did a scan the next day. babies both fine.

By that point pain was back, it wasnt as bad as before but still much worse than labour pain, i was give iv paracetamol and oral codine at this point, the started doing bloods which then showed i had pancreatitis.

Had to be give loads of drugs, regular monitoring, drips, cathereter etc etc, every day a doctor from the other hospital came over to tell me how ill i was and how i needed surgery but they wouldnt when i was pregnant as it was too riskly.

Evetually got a bit better and was hoping i would be out by the weekend the an ambulance turned up to transfer me, the ward staff and doctors were shocked.

I went over to the other hospital were the surgeon came and saif i needed the surgery, i was riskly in pregnancy but if i didnt and it contintued to happen which he thinks i would i would be in itu or dead.

So i had my gallbladder out monday. so far babies are both fine, feeling sore, my belly button cant be stitched due to bump but he managed to do it lap so much better than it could of been.

Have been told that the next few weeks will tell if all will continue fine, my body may just have enough and not cope with the pregnancy, but saw the babies today and all is well :D

I had my gallbladder our over 2 years ago and I just had an ultrasound and had it out a few weeks later. Good luck!

Stick to a VERY low fat diet until the surgery that will help keep the pain away!

Oh my goodness. I will keep you in my prayers. I really feel for you. It is painful afterwards, so I can't imagine being pregnant trying to recover. I slept in a recliner chair for the first 2 weeks because i was so soar. It is a good sign that the babies are looking good though. You would think if anything bad were to happen it would have already happened. It is in God's hands, and I think he wants you to have those beautiful little babies. Keep us posted please on how you are recovering. At least now you can enjoy your pregnancy. It wouldn't have been good to be in so much pain throughout your entire pregnancy. Plus, if you couldn't keep any food down it would not be very healthy for the babies, so this is the best outcome for you. Again, good luck with everything.

you may be asked to have certain scans normally an ultrasound will show gallstones.
dont worry about it get it wipped out
xx

Im doing good. I took no pain releif after the surgery and I had my stitches out yesterday, my bump had obviously grown and getting the stitches out was a issue, but they are out now and Im doing good.

I had an US scan done and babies are good, and the next day i paied for a private gender scan and both babies are boys!

Not had any problems post surgery, i feel worn out and im burised everywhere, but being pregnant with twins is tiring anyway so i cant blame the surgery for me being tired.

Im good though, still taking things easy, not done much and bending is still sore but glad its over and so far babies seem fine.

Im doing good. I took no pain releif after the surgery and I had my stitches out yesterday, my bump had obviously grown and getting the stitches out was a issue, but they are out now and Im doing good.

I had an US scan done and babies are good, and the next day i paied for a private gender scan and both babies are boys!

Not had any problems post surgery, i feel worn out and im burised everywhere, but being pregnant with twins is tiring anyway so i cant blame the surgery for me being tired.

Im good though, still taking things easy, not done much and bending is still sore but glad its over and so far babies seem fine.

glad you are on the road to recovery :hugs: and congratulations on your twin boys :happydance: Xx

Saw this post and wanted to comment.

Before I had my gallbladder removed, I had an ultrasound which showed a normal gallbladder but then I had a HIDA Scan which came back very bad. I also had a colonoscopy and endoscopy (both were painless and VERY easy). I know everyone is really scared about colonoscopies .. I am only 32 and had it done last year. The worst part was the prep (cleaning out the colon). The procedure itself was a sinch, I will no longer have a fear of it. Anyhow, the reason for my procedures was due to pain in my stomach/back and constant diarrhea.

I did not have gallstones, I just had a non-functioning gallbladder. I totally wish I never got my gallbladder out. Although it wasn't working, I would still rather have it still.

Anyhow, just wanted to add that. Hopefully it will help someone.

Saw this post and wanted to comment.

Before I had my gallbladder removed, I had an ultrasound which showed a normal gallbladder but then I had a HIDA Scan which came back very bad. I also had a colonoscopy and endoscopy (both were painless and VERY easy). I know everyone is really scared about colonoscopies .. I am only 32 and had it done last year. The worst part was the prep (cleaning out the colon). The procedure itself was a sinch, I will no longer have a fear of it. Anyhow, the reason for my procedures was due to pain in my stomach/back and constant diarrhea.

I did not have gallstones, I just had a non-functioning gallbladder. I totally wish I never got my gallbladder out. Although it wasn't working, I would still rather have it still.

Anyhow, just wanted to add that. Hopefully it will help someone.

hiya i had the hida scan done on 1st july and dont see the surgeon again till 1st august for the results. i havent been feeling to bad lately ,well havent had an attack anyway!! why do you wish you never had your gallbladder taken out? if u dont mind me asking? i too dont have gallstones well none they could see anyway :shrug: what %was your gallbladder working at? Xx

My gallbladder was at 8%...

I found to have stomach pain WAY worse than before having my gallbladder out. I also got non-stop diarrhea for about a straight 14 months (never once was it not diarrhea). Anytime I would eat, I would run (and pray to make it) to the restroom. Kindof embarassing.
I know everyone has different experiences with having their gallbladder out. But when telling people I have had mine out ... they will open up to me and share that they had theirs out too. I will say about 80% of people tell me they wish they didn't get it taken out.

My problem now is, the bile is continuously running into my colon. My stomach area constantly burns. Even though my gallbladder didn't work, it was still able to store excess bile, it just didn't release it.

But, please don't let me scare me ... All I say is ... do your research on the surgery and the side effects. Google: Gallbladder removal side effects. I can honestly say, I experience 100% of the side effects.

I'm kicking myself for only speaking to 1 doctor ... I should have seen at least 3 before making my decision.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask! It's been about 18 months since my surgery.

Take care :)

My gallbladder was at 8%...

I found to have stomach pain WAY worse than before having my gallbladder out. I also got non-stop diarrhea for about a straight 14 months (never once was it not diarrhea). Anytime I would eat, I would run (and pray to make it) to the restroom. Kindof embarassing.
I know everyone has different experiences with having their gallbladder out. But when telling people I have had mine out ... they will open up to me and share that they had theirs out too. I will say about 80% of people tell me they wish they didn't get it taken out.

My problem now is, the bile is continuously running into my colon. My stomach area constantly burns. Even though my gallbladder didn't work, it was still able to store excess bile, it just didn't release it.

But, please don't let me scare me ... All I say is ... do your research on the surgery and the side effects. Google: Gallbladder removal side effects. I can honestly say, I experience 100% of the side effects.

I'm kicking myself for only speaking to 1 doctor ... I should have seen at least 3 before making my decision.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask! It's been about 18 months since my surgery.

Take care :)

ive gotta wait and see what the outcome of the results are 1st,knowing my luck its not my gallbladder and im back 2square 1, did your attacks feel like heart attacks or what u would think is 1? i get sharp stabbing pains under my left breast, but when i'm not having an attack iget alot of aching around my gallbladder area lower right rib cage. also after an attack i had green bowel movements what looked like bile? did u have alot of attacks?

ive hear different stories about gallbladder removal and your not the only 1 who have sed they still get alot of discomfort and diarreah after removal. a women a work with said exactly the same as u, but do u still theexcruciating attacks? dont think i could cope with having them the rest of my life! i suppose theres alot of negataive and positive things about having it removed and will defo do reasearch on it, thankyou :) also wenu had the hida scan could u see all this stuff going through your intestines? was it that yuky drink they gave me after 40 mins?

the pains i had sounds exactly what you had, but my scan showed gallstones, however im not sure if the pains i had were actually pancreatisis as the pain i had from that was the same.

The surgeon said it had a lot of grit and dust and thats what made it so much worse, so perhaps thats what you have and it cant be seen on the scans.

As for post surgery, i feel fine, the day after surgery i had stomach cramps and had to run back and forth the toilet but since then i have been fine (thus far) and eaten everything without problems.

My father in law had gallstones and he said having his gallbladder out was the best thing he ever did.

I think it really depends on what the problem is with your gallbladder. I've noticed if you have a low functioning gallbladder the removal side effects are worse (No idea why).

I didn't have to drink anything, I just laid down under this machine for about 3 hours and they put an IV in my arm. They injected this thick stuff into my arm and almost instantly I began dry heaving (throwing up). The doctor said to me ... "well something is definitely wrong with your gallbladder to cause such an instant response to the meds".

I still didn't think it was my gallbladder so I was shocked that the results came back that it was.

I got these horrible stabbing pains in the middle of my stomach. It would last for days on end. Almost any food I ate would aggitate it. Plus my bowel habits had changed so much...one week horrible diarrhea, the next week horrible constipation.

For me, I can't say it's any better now that I have had the surgery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->