What would happen if you left hospital?

Angel2Fire

Reaction score
I'm getting really anxious the prospect of "being forced" to go to hospital when I'm in labour.

I'm going to do everything within my power to ensure I can labour at home, but I was just wondering what would happen if you got really fed up in hospital and felt you weren't being treated fairly and left while you were in labour?

I'm sure it wont happen (and I woul never put my baby at risk) but if the worst case thing was to happen, what would they do if you just said you werent happy with your treatment and left?

I must stress I am really not planning to do this, I am just curious about what would happen.

I think they would have to send a midwife to your house, like if you refused to go in the first place x

Not sure about where you live, but where I live they can't force you to stay. You have every right to leave.

I've thought this myself, I'm finding one side of me caving in for an 'easy' life agreeing to a hospital birth, the other side of me is screaming I'll regret not fighting for my homebirth and be disappointed - I am worried I wont feel comfortable at all in hospital and wondered myself what happened if I just decided to leave! I don't want to stay overnight either..

Its your baby and your body so you shouldn't feel forced to do anything :) If the pregnancys low risk and babys ok and you don't want to go to hospital or you want to leave while you're there the best they can do is advice against it if they think its right.
I guess then they'd have to send a community midwife out to you. I guess if they warn you against it and something goes wrong at home they can always say they did warn you, but its your decision, so don't let anyone take that away from you!

Its surprising how many people, still in this day and age, don't consider home births as a choice. So many of OHs relatives looked shocked when I said I was planning a home birth. Even most medical professionals see hospital births as the norm xx

They would send a midwife to your house. Though they would probably want answers if you said you weren't happy with treatment etc.

I will not be giving birth in hosptial unless there is a medical need for my baby or me.... and even if that becomes the case I will still be in control, I will not allow them to give me any unesccary drugs or procedures.... Giving birth is natural not medical and I will not be bossed about by medics!
I would have said if you left hospital theywould still have a duty of car towards you and would be required to send a community midwife out to you...

So - I accidentally allowed myself to go to hospital. My parents had travelled all the way from NZ to be with me and came to my last midwife appointment (same day I was in labour) and my blood pressure was really high and my MW said I HAD to go to hospital to have it monitored, and if I didn't she wouldn't attend me. At this point my mum started crying and freaking out cos she had pre-ec. with me. So I let my parents drive me to hospital. They monitored me for a couple of hours while I tried my hardest to calm the freak down. Which I did - then they offered me all manners of pain relief because I really was in established labour! Anyway I said I wanted to see the doctor or midwife in charge immediately, and discharged myself. Hubby arrived to pick me up and we drove home (oh driving in labour is NOT recommended let me tell you!) Made it home and gave birth a few hours later :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->