What would you do? Ex wanting to see kids

baileybubs

Reaction score
Hi there,

Basically I'm really struggling with what's best here. I'll try and make the story brief;

My ex and I split 18 months ago when my son was just 8 weeks old and daughter 18 months old. I tried to make things work parenting wise and found he was just coming round for a couple of hours each week and I couldn't cope as I had no family support nearby. I moved back to my hometown with my parents which is only half an hour drive away or short train journey from the ex so it wasn't too far for him to still come and see the kids. At first I started driving them to see him every week using my time and petrol, he started messing me about with times then cancelling coz he was "sick" and never once had any petrol money for me. He also was refusing to pay child support. But I didn't want money to be a reason for my kids not to see their dad, after a while though I decided that my kids deserved better and a dad who could make an effort. So I told him we'd alternate, one week I'd drive them to him next week he could come by train and have them at my house whilst I went out. He kept cancelling his visits here but still wanted me to drive them to him the other weeks. So eventually I told him if he wanted to see his kids he should start making the effort to come and see them. He came 3 times and then all the excuses started, that was a year ago.

His mum and dad asked if they could bring him at Christmas so I said yes but on the proviso it becomes a regular thing as I didn't want him just popping in and out of their lives on special occasions just to give them presents and make himself feel better. I also told him no presents as a) they are too young to even understand who brought them what present and b) if he can't afford child support then he can't afford presents.

So after visiting them at Christmas he once again went back to ignoring our existence. Not even asking how they were. He's now text 2 weeks before dd's birthday saying his phone had been blocked (could have used his gf's phone or Facebook messenger surely?!) so that's why we hadn't heard from him and he wants to come and see the kids ON dd's birthday. Not near her birthday, ON her actual birthday. And of course he wants to bring her a present.

My son is currently afraid of strangers, particularly males, so I'm not keen on him coming. I don't want to stop him seeing his kids but I also don't want him thinking that he can just be a father to them when it suits him. They are young now and so don't understand much. But as they get older it's going to hurt them that their father only bothers seeing them on special occasions. What should I do? I want to tell him no because I'd said at Christmas he should be seeing them regularly or not at all, I don't know what's best for the kids.

Everyone else keeps telling me to tell him to get lost, that he can't just turn up when he feels like i genuinely don't know if that's the right thing. Is it more harmful for him to not see them at all or to be in and out of their lives at his own whim?

Sorry, that's a tough one. I'd be ticked that he doesn't put effort in. If he can come on Christmas and her bd, then why not any other time? The birthday visit would be a no for me as I celebrate with family and would have plans already, but I'd suggest the day before or after. As far as his being in and out of their life, again I don't know. I'm a single mom and my daughter's dad has never met her, never asked me her name, nothing. I've been in therapy for a few years and my therapist is also a child therapist so I asked her about my situation and she said that it's better for daughter to have no dad in her life than a dad who is in and out. Now, I don't know for sure if she, as a child psychologist, knows this to be true or if she was just trying to make me feel better, but I can't imagine how a child could feel secure in a relationship that is based solely on the adult's desire/need/want without consideration for the child. Seems emotionally abusive to me. But I feel guilty and sad for my daughter bc she doesn't know her dad. So tough either way. Sorry you're having to deal with this.

Thanks scout. And I completely get that too, I feel guilty that my kids may feel bad in future once they learn about their biological father and so I don't want to be "stopping" him seeing the kids but everyone keeps telling me I'm not the one stopping him, he's stopping himself by not making any effort.
I guess I just feel like I should do more so my kids don't feel abandoned by him or something, but equally I know I can't condone him just showing up when he wants to. He's actually not replied to me now after I've told him not to buy her a present, she has everything she needs from me and hundreds of toys so I refuse to let him make himself feel better by allowing him to bring her a present. She won't even notice coz she's only 3, he's only wanting to buy a present so he can tell everyone he has and make himself feel like a better father. Since he's not answering now I'm guessing that means he isn't going to come after all!

It's not your job to get their dad to see them, it's his. Totally. You aren't stopping him from seeing them. Seems if he doesn't get his way then he says to heck with it and bails. So it's not at all about him seeing the kids for the sake of the kids; it's about him feeling good, and that's not fair. I know the kiddos are little now, but it won't be long before they are old enough to realize what's going on, and then what?

Although I feel sad for my daughter not knowing her dad, I am thankful I don't have to deal with someone who messes with the kids emotions and my sanity! I don't know how you do it, tbh. Happy birthday to your little one.

I can totally sympathise with this, I was in a similar situation early last year. Split from fob 2 years ago when kids were 8 months and 20 months. Too young to understand thank god as he basically ignored them on and off for the first year! I had to put my foot down in the end and say when he proves to me that he is going to see them regularly and send maintenence then he can see them at set times every weekend. If not, then he couldn't see them. We saw his family every week but not him. It took months of sulking and me ignoring him but he eventually started trying and he's pretty much been on point all this past year! I try and encourage it by being nice to him when he shows regularly and giving him photos and updates on the kids. If he's a dick, he's going to get treated like one. If they don't, then they won't. Men sometimes have to have things spelled out for them unfortunately! Good luck! Let me know if you want any more advice xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->