What would you do?

hollyw79

Reaction score
I really would like some opinions. Just a quick backdrop- when I got preggo in Jan, I took clomid and we did an IUI because my DH had a slightly low sperm count and low morphology. Everything was fine with me- I O on my own and all of that. Also, I am a runner.. 5-6 miles daily- I LOVE going to the gym and feel great doing it- it's never impacting me ovulating or anything. When I did the IUI - I didn't run AT ALL In the 2ww- I went only for walks - which honestly SUCKS compared to running BUT- obviously- I wanted that BFP and after going thru the IUI and Clomid- I figured I best play it safe. After I got preggo - I stopped the hard core running and did MINIMAL light jogging, some light elliptical, biking, and walking .. rotating each day and taking it easy. When I went for my 1st OB appointment- he said he only wanted me walking 3 times a week for the 1st tri to play it safe. I was SHOCKED because it wasn't like it was a new thing for me and everything you read says to continue but reduce intensity, watch heart rate & stay hydrated. But- I listened- that was when I was 5w6d and I had been for the previous 2-3 weeks working out lightly- so I just stopped. Obviously I miscarried. I would have been 8 weeks when I had the d&c and lost the baby around 7 weeks. Sure, a small part of me wonders if it's because I exercised some even though it was very moderate and a lot less than I am used to.

Here is my question- I am trying to conceive again (obviously) so .. I am not doing Clomid or IUI again yet- but during the 2ww- do you think I should NOT be running still?? Like I am supposed to stop running 1/2 of every month until I get a BFP? Is that necessary? Am I overreacting to believe maybe the exercise caused the miscarriage?? I have NO PROBLEM stopping the running IF I am pregnant - and I sincerely won't be doing a DANG thing next time except for walking per the request of my OB- and now that I HAVE had a miscarriage- there is even more merit to it.

I obviously want to do whatever I can to get preggo- but I am curious - do I live in a little bubble for 2 weeks every month or what?? What would you do??

I would continue to run I think!
As long as you stay super hydrated and listen to any signs your body gives you I.e tiredness/signs of being dehydrated.

It's important to be fit and healthy before pregnancy too

I don't believe running will affect implantation etc in the slightest, and maybe if you do feel a bit crampy then take it easier for a day or two.

Our bodies are equipped to deal with multi tasking and I don't think running and baby making are a conflict!!

No bubbles for me.. When I get that BFP I change my life then.

Honestly I think I would pause the hardcore running when I had BFP myself only so I would not blame myself if someonthing does go wrong. Trully I do nto think it would play a part in MC though unless you had prob in past with early labour etc..

I am a spinner (or was) I stopped when preggo. Only so I would not blame myself if something went wrong... it did go wrong (oviously) so I am glad I did quit so I dont hold myself to blame.
Sadly i have not even been back to spin class and miss it horribly!!!!!!! I want that BFP in a couple weeks and I am holding off until then. If engative I think i am joining back up!!!

No bubbles for me.. When I get that BFP I change my life then.

Honestly I think I would pause the hardcore running when I had BFP myself only so I would not blame myself if someonthing does go wrong. Trully I do nto think it would play a part in MC though unless you had prob in past with early labour etc..

I am a spinner (or was) I stopped when preggo. Only so I would not blame myself if something went wrong... it did go wrong (oviously) so I am glad I did quit so I dont hold myself to blame.
Sadly i have not even been back to spin class and miss it horribly!!!!!!! I want that BFP in a couple weeks and I am holding off until then. If engative I think i am joining back up!!!

Ooops,, hit send by accident did nto finish..hehe

All in all though .. I think it is healthy to keep up what you do... I know we all find excuses to blame ourselves and I would use this if I had excercised but deep down I know it is healthy for me and really would not effect the pregnancy.

I would continue to run I think!
As long as you stay super hydrated and listen to any signs your body gives you I.e tiredness/signs of being dehydrated.

It's important to be fit and healthy before pregnancy too

I don't believe running will affect implantation etc in the slightest, and maybe if you do feel a bit crampy then take it easier for a day or two.

Our bodies are equipped to deal with multi tasking and I don't think running and baby making are a conflict!!

Well said!!!

Thanks ladies~ I know we are built to multi-task.. which is why i found it SO ODD that my doc would have me stick to walking after being a runner for YEARS and with no complications and such? :shrug:

I've been thinking long and hard about and I think I came to a compromise that I am okay with.. in the 2ww~ I won't do the running.. I'll stick to the elliptical which is still a work out but not as intense or harsh on the body and joints and such- less force and whatnot.

Running has been MY SANITY since the mc honestly~ I gave it up for the pregnancy so it was bittersweet to go back to it.

(((SIGH))) I hope we ALL get those :bfp: soon!! :thumbup:

IMO I would do as the doc says as far as switching from running to walking, fast brisk walk or really gentle jog at the max, the first few weeks of a pregnancy are so fragile that we make whatever sacrifices are necessary by continung to walk and gentle job you are still getting your exercise in but not to the extent that you would "like" - well hey welcome to parenthood lol. EVERYTHING changes to a certain extent. Go for a walk/gentle jog to get out in the open air and then do a little more on the eliptical sounds like a great regime to me.

Is your husband taking any supplements etc? zinc is vital for sperm motility and overall reproductive and prostrate health. If you ovulate normally etc why did doc put you on clomid? Maybe consider the natural soy option?

IMO I would do as the doc says as far as switching from running to walking, fast brisk walk or really gentle jog at the max, the first few weeks of a pregnancy are so fragile that we make whatever sacrifices are necessary by continung to walk and gentle job you are still getting your exercise in but not to the extent that you would "like" - well hey welcome to parenthood lol. EVERYTHING changes to a certain extent. Go for a walk/gentle jog to get out in the open air and then do a little more on the eliptical sounds like a great regime to me.

Is your husband taking any supplements etc? zinc is vital for sperm motility and overall reproductive and prostrate health. If you ovulate normally etc why did doc put you on clomid? Maybe consider the natural soy option?

I'll definitely listen to my doc when I am pregnant-- when he told me that- I was pregnant- when we did the IUI- he said I could still keep exercising just reduce intensity- it's the 2ww each month that I am questioning, ya know? I have no issue sacrificing anything for when I am actually pregnant.

Yup- my husband's sperm count improved DRAMATICALLY when it came time for the IUI_ he had 19 million sperm for the analysis- a little low- and then when we did the IUI - he had 37 million post wash- so probably closer to 80 million before the sperm wash was done. He takes a multi, zinc, folic acid, omega 3, and now we are both taking royal jelly, and also added to his pycnogenol. Praying we won't even need an IUI again as his numbers improved so much.

The doc put me on clomid to increase the # of eggs released to increase the odds of conception. Clomid does 1 of 2 things depending on the days you take it~ it either increases the eggs OR if you take it a few days later in the cycle- will improve the quality of 1 which can help if you are older or something or just improve the odds. It was meant as an extra boost.

sorry holly I misread - in the tww I would do everything I could to keep stress levels down!! and of running is your stress reliever and likely to get mores stressed not getting your fix keep doing it. That damn waiting!! But I would be careful not to go up in intensity as a releae for additional stress iykwim.

I think that in the 2ww you should continue running as you normally would. It's stressful enough waiting to see if you're pregnant and running is sooooo good for you I really can't see it being a problem. Obviously once you get your bfp you should probably cool off a little but I can't see that running is going to be harmful as long as you don't overdo it. At least not in the early stages. I really really don't think that your running had anything to do with m/c. It's so easy to think it's somehow your fault but it's NOT, it really, really isn't.

:hugs:

P.S - You must be SUPER fit!!!!!:thumbup:

I agree that you should maybe not to the heavier type of workout just in case but continue with your stress busting run. I wish I had the motivation to get fit and to stop eating rubbish lol

XxX

I agree that you should maybe not to the heavier type of workout just in case but continue with your stress busting run. I wish I had the motivation to get fit and to stop eating rubbish lol

XxX

I go running BECAUSE I love to eat the rubbish!!! :rofl:

I *seriously* need to get my diet in line~ I almost see it as an excuse ... "I went for a run so I can eat those cookies" :haha:

I think that in the 2ww you should continue running as you normally would. It's stressful enough waiting to see if you're pregnant and running is sooooo good for you I really can't see it being a problem. Obviously once you get your bfp you should probably cool off a little but I can't see that running is going to be harmful as long as you don't overdo it. At least not in the early stages. I really really don't think that your running had anything to do with m/c. It's so easy to think it's somehow your fault but it's NOT, it really, really isn't.

:hugs:

P.S - You must be SUPER fit!!!!!:thumbup:

Thanks my dear :flower: I definitely plan on switching to walking WHEN I get a BFP.. it's just more a matter of "do I stop my life every 2 weeks?" I would like to hope that the fact that I did exercise didn't play a role in the mc- I don't think it did- but as a woman you of course question everything.

Lol.. super fit.. sure, but I eat like crap! :haha:

Holly I see your dilemma, I would be the same as you, I worry about everything in the tww. They do say that once you are used to the exercise you are doing that it shouldn't affect anything like implantation and it sounds like it is a normal part of your routine.

I think you need to do what is right for you. One doctor told me not to workout too hard (even when TTC) and another told me it was fine...

When I went to the hospital for my D&C I asked one of the nurses there a lot of questions... how often she sees mc, if there is anything she would recommend different for a viable pregnancy next time, etc. etc. She said keep doing what you want until you get that BFP. She explained it happened because of that one egg and that one sperm not matching up. She further explained she sees all types of cases - including women who are not taking care of themselves at all, completely hooked on drugs and strung out. If they can somehow manage to have a successful pregnancy I think we can too!

So, if you're eating healthy and taking care of yourself then RUN! You read all these studies about how stress affects TTC... if that is what calms you then do it. :thumbup:

I think you need to do what is right for you. One doctor told me not to workout too hard (even when TTC) and another told me it was fine...

When I went to the hospital for my D&C I asked one of the nurses there a lot of questions... how often she sees mc, if there is anything she would recommend different for a viable pregnancy next time, etc. etc. She said keep doing what you want until you get that BFP. She explained it happened because of that one egg and that one sperm not matching up. She further explained she sees all types of cases - including women who are not taking care of themselves at all, completely hooked on drugs and strung out. If they can somehow manage to have a successful pregnancy I think we can too!

So, if you're eating healthy and taking care of yourself then RUN! You read all these studies about how stress affects TTC... if that is what calms you then do it. :thumbup:

I think that is my biggest frustration- difference of opinions in the medical community. EVERYTHING I read says to continue working out but don't overdo- get that- never did when I was preggo- but I was literally floored when my OB asked me to stop working out at all :saywhat:

I *DO* plan on stopping altogether when I AM preggo and just going for a walk because I don't want to wonder if something I did caused it- it doesn't really seem logical if most docs say to continue- but.. I will for sure heed the advice of my OB even tho it contradicts everything else out there.

It's crazzzzzzzzzzzzy how some women abuse their bodies and carry a healthy baby successfully.. that is what confuses me.

I appreciate the insight!!!!

My BFF is a hard core runner as well (6-8 miles a day). She had 2 MC, and when she got pregnant the last time, she slowed down during her pregnancy, but continued to run. She was even doing 5Ks at 36 weeks. I think if you are already running like that, then it's not going to cause a MC, if a MC happens, it usually is going to happen no matter what we do or don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->