What would you do?

aevenstar

Mummy to Eleanor & Bean!
Reaction score
Hope you're all OK this evening!

slight dilemma, and I 'd appreciate your opinions please!

My current job is one that I love, but have only really been doing for a couple of months and am still learning. There are plans to change the scope of the role, which is going to mean that they need fewer of us (about half!) than they have currently by April. In other areas of the country, people have already been told that if they want to step sideways, they need to do it now as the opportunity will not be there in a few months. I don't think this will happen in my area as there aren't the jobs. As the company won't want to go down the redundancy route and from the tone of recent emails, I would say that it will be a case of people are 'actively managed out' through performance reviews and development plans etc.

My review is on thursday, so my quandary is, do I say something or not? If I don't, and we start down the route of development plans etc, I haven't got a leg to stand on but if I do, and that happens, then there is the argument that that didn't start until I said I was pregnant = unfair treatment. As I've only recently been recruited into the role, so far when I've mentioned any concern it's had a response of 'you've been recruited for the right reasons' etc etc, but people will say anything at the end of the day.

I just feel to say anything so early is to tempt fate, but I want to make sure i've got a job!

What does anyone think?

Thanks!

Rachel x

Hun for all they know you dont know your preg yet ...Also my law you dont have to tell them yet
hugs serina

I wouldn't tell them... I'm not sure where you live, but I live in Ohio, USA... the economy here is such that I count my blessings that I have a good job... I would just play it safe and not tell them unless I really felt that I didn't want to work there anymore...

Under UK law, you are protected from being dismissed because you are pregnant and so I think you would be protected from the "actively managing out" if you did tell them you are pregnant - because I think they would seriously think twice about doing something so underhand - but it is early in your pregnancy.

Under UK law you get 26 weeks or ordinary maternity leave - if you go back to work after that time you get exactly the same job back on terms that are no less favourable. If you go back after 1 year, your employer has to give you a similar job.

If a woman is made redundant during her maternity leave, her employer must offer her suitable, alternative employment (if it exists) which is appropriate for her to do. She has priority in being offered alternative work over other staff who are not on maternity leave.

You are actually then more protected in the UK because you are pregnant - and so it might actually be an advantage.

Of course this only applies if you're in the UK.

The same goes here in the US - you can't be fired for being pregnant and employers hesitate to get rid of pregnant employees for fear of a lawsuit. Of course, that gives you some protection from being fired or laid off.

I would tell them, but that is my opinion. You have to look out for yourself.

I have to differ with Misselle, I'm in the US and I was prego and much like your situation, a group of jobs were being 'transitioned' to another part of the country so those of us that were spreadout across the states were laid off. They didn't seem worried about laying me off since it was a 'group' of people, not just me the prego girl. I guess I could have pushed the issue but it was Siemens, a huge company, and you can imagine how quickly they would have squashed me. So I'm thinking don't tell them, but just wanted to add that some companies aren't scared to let you go either way. I hope it works out for you!!!

That's a good point, JJF. It depends on your company culture.

I have been a manager for a big corporation where we did have to let go a pregnant employee but we had to document all kinds of evidence of her misconduct and consult legal first. Now I am a college professor and I know they would not lay off a pregnant employee. We even had to document carefully why we did not hire a pregnant candidate just "in case".

I think that most companies, especially smaller ones, would hesitate, but I amend my answer to think about it in context of the company.

im not working as im at college but i didnt tell college when i first started as i was scared they would kick me off and i still havent told them even though there are girls on the second year of the course pregnant. Honestly i wouldnt tell them and i would wait and see what happens

thanks for your opinions - I am in the UK btw - will have to update that bit!

Will have to do a bit more thinking about this I think - will let you know how it all goes...

Rachel x

I would say talk to OH and see how he feels then I would trust your heart. If your ment to have this job Nothing and I mean NOTHING will stop you from staying there.

Gooodluck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->