whats normal?

blinkybaby

Reaction score
I'm typing this with my new baby feeding so apologies for typos!

he;s a week old - how much and how often should he be feeding? i feel like a complete novice, i have no idea what im doing, every time he cries I put him to the breast and he feeds. how do i tell a hungry cry from the other different cries they make? I feel like my baby is just grmpy and wont settle no matter what i do, the only place hes happy and quiet is on the breast. is that normal? also he was sicky last night quite a bit, does that mean i am overfeeding him? he was weighed at 5 days and had not lost less than 10% but had not gained but the MWs did not seem worried:?

thanks for any advice xx

for me this sounds normal, i'm currently bf but lo is now 9 wks and it does get easier please believe that !!! it felt like every second she was on my boob :( or just crying lol she has got better but still bf babies do feed more reg than ff babies! just chill out on the sofa and feed feed feed lo! in the end things will settle down . i'm new to bf also and believe me days there i felt like giving up!! my lo is also sick a lot people tell me could be reflux? or wind who know's? i guess we never really know. but my advice just keep feeding and feeding and as long as lo put's weight on all is well my love xxxx

p.s enjoy those early day's as already but lo is 9 wks and a chunky monkey lol enjoy it x

First off congrats on your new baby!

During the first week your baby will want to eat all the time, usually once every 2 hours and more frequently during a growth spurt. As long as you are getting lots of wet/dirty nappys it is all good. Eventually you will be able to tell the hungry cry from the tired/dirty/I want attention cry but for now keep doing what you are doing. You can't overfeed a breastfed baby as they control how much they want to eat. Sometimes they do get sick and if this is a frequently occurring problem you might want to check with a medical professional.

You are doing great! :flower:

Charlie was the same in the first few weeks, I had no clue what I was doing so I just put him to the breast every time he cried. it does get better and you start to learn when they are hungry, or tired etc

Congratulations on your LO!
Eloise fed every 2 hours as a newborn and cluster fed in the evenings :)
She fed even more when having a growth spurt.
Every baby is different and feeds will soon fall into some sort of pattern :hugs:

another thing - he sucks for hours, like half an hour on each breast. I wind him between breasts, but when I put him down he's tremendously sick after about 5-10 mins - I feel like I'm overfeeding him, i thought bfed babies were less sicky and windy but my baby seems to be quite bad? Also he's hardly pooing at all, his last one was thursday, im woried about that too :(

bfing is hard work! xx

oh sorry just realised i addressed the sicky point in my OP - heads all over the place right now... xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->