What's the best way you found to settle your LO when crying?

Mantha

Mummy to Lewis :) x
Reaction score
As a first time mum, im not really sure on best ways to settle LO when he gets really stressed. MIL just ended up taking him off me other day, and she actually settled him. Which kind of got to me really. But i suppose its just down to her having more experience.

So i just wondered for mummy's with more experience whats ur best ways of settling LO??

xxxx

a nice cuddle in your arms , snuggled into your boobies milk or not ;) gently tapping babies back or bum all mine love it and my lo has just had this treatment !!! lol xx

Getting up and walking her around the house, putting her in a sling and walking around, going out for a walk, going for a car drive, change of scenery, dummy if tired, change her nappy (not because it was upsetting her but she used to enjoy this!)

I sit my LO up on my lap in the burping position and rub his back .. he stops crying every time! Or sometimes I stand him up, he loves pushing weight down on his legs, that calms him a lot of times as well

cuddles, singing a favourite song, patting back, swinging her round in my arms.

When my LO cries I just put her to the breast.

a nice cuddle in your arms , snuggled into your boobies milk or not ;) gently tapping babies back or bum all mine love it and my lo has just had this treatment !!! lol xx

this is exactly what i do too, works like a charm! she loves snuggling into mummy's chest and being held close :cloud9: x

My LO is nearly 8 weeks old and she likes:
Patting her back or bum whilst standing up with her, or walking round the house, she seems to get bored being in one room/position, so abit of change for her she likes.
I went to zumba last week for the 1st time-it was a fun class! and i left her with her dad from 6.30pm till 8.30pm.....she was crying when i left and crying when i got back! My other half was on skype to my parents and apparently my mum was saying "do this, try that..." and was physically showing him on the camera! Nothing worked, and he said she slept for a whole 5 minutes then woke screaming again! As soon as i got in he said "you got to take her!" as soon as she was in my arms she stopped....its not nice to see this happen but its also not nice to hear her screaming the way she was. I will point out that she was very tired, and about a minute of being in my arms she was flat out!
I tell him sometimes you need to feel confident with her bcoz if your not she can sense it and it will make her worse, i have told him about walking round the house-which he did- i told him about patting her bum or back-he didnt didnt do-he just rocks her and says "sshhhh shhhhh" kinda thing! and i have also told him about talking soothingly to her, and about worriment in his voice as she will sense it.
I do think babies like to be snuggled into their mummy's boobs tho-i dont breastfeed, but my LO seems to like this, and i think she likes mummy's smell too.
Im going to zumba tomorrow night and i hope she is better than what she was last week.

Picking her up and walking around....talking to her and pointing things out.
Changing her nappy
Taking her out in her trolley
:flower:

When Omar was tiny, turning on the water & washing his face always worked to stop him crying. He wasnt a cuddly baby & he hated rocking & holding. xx

Lots of cuddles and gently tapping their backs works wonders with my first and the same with DD she calms down instantly if she is rocked and being tapped on the bum or running my fingers through her hair :)

and if you leave LO with anyone else and they wont settle make sure you leave a blanket with them that smells like you :) MW told me to do this if i ever went out without DD and then if they start crying and then being wrapped in blanket then when they smell the scent of their mom they will settle better :) hope this helps

xx

When Megan was little she got overwhelmed easily. If she was crying cause she was stressed then the things that worked were - swaddling her, walking while she was sideways in my arms w/ pacifier in (in a dark room) . saying SSHHHHH as loud as she was crying til she calmed then my shhh became quieter too. She also liked her diaper changed - just as in -taking her clothes off - it was enough of a distraction that it usually worked. Sitting in the bathroom with her w/ the tub water running - the sound soothed her. I couldnt sit down when she was upset - she knew if I was rocking or walking - and walking was the only motion that worked. She never liked swings, etc either.

Going into another room. When she was really little I'd walk her round the house for ages and end up stuck in some really random spot like halfway down the stairs, because that's where she stopped crying!

Running a tap usually works too.

White noise, the bathroom extractor fan, the washing machine, the hoover, anything with a constant noise xxx

I find the best sure-fire way to settle Evie when she's really crying is to hold her against my chest/shoulder and gently rock her/walk around with her and she either falls asleep or gets distracted looking at everything in the room lol. But I have the same thing where sometimes I feel like she's never gonna stop crying and then my Mum will come take her and she'll start smiling :dohh: tbh I think it's just a distraction thing sometimes like 'ooo it's someone new this is more interesting than crying' :haha: It used to upset me thinking my Mum was better with her than me but there's been a few times where Mum's made her cry and only I've been able to settle her which made me feel better :haha: and makes you realise it's really not personal! xxx

moving him rhythmically by patting his bum, white noise, singing to him, standing up and rocking him, and sometimes all of these at the same time!

My LO is nearly 8 weeks old and she likes:
Patting her back or bum whilst standing up with her, or walking round the house, she seems to get bored being in one room/position, so abit of change for her she likes.
I went to zumba last week for the 1st time-it was a fun class! and i left her with her dad from 6.30pm till 8.30pm.....she was crying when i left and crying when i got back! My other half was on skype to my parents and apparently my mum was saying "do this, try that..." and was physically showing him on the camera! Nothing worked, and he said she slept for a whole 5 minutes then woke screaming again! As soon as i got in he said "you got to take her!" as soon as she was in my arms she stopped....its not nice to see this happen but its also not nice to hear her screaming the way she was. I will point out that she was very tired, and about a minute of being in my arms she was flat out!
I tell him sometimes you need to feel confident with her bcoz if your not she can sense it and it will make her worse, i have told him about walking round the house-which he did- i told him about patting her bum or back-he didnt didnt do-he just rocks her and says "sshhhh shhhhh" kinda thing! and i have also told him about talking soothingly to her, and about worriment in his voice as she will sense it.
I do think babies like to be snuggled into their mummy's boobs tho-i dont breastfeed, but my LO seems to like this, and i think she likes mummy's smell too.
Im going to zumba tomorrow night and i hope she is better than what she was last week.

my hubby say's himself and lo don't get on :haha::haha: never heard something so ridiculous from a dad of 4:shrug: silly arse :dohh: you just need to feel confident and calm ..womanly lol :winkwink:

I play this full blast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEQ6G8fjipA&feature=related

Dont ask, I have an odd son whos a head banger already :)
Hes always liked this music and it makes him happy without fail and he often falls asleep to it.

As I was trying to find that link it played and he just had a massive grin on his face and started waking his hands in the air shacking his head (his practicing his metal hand sign but cant get his pinky up yet) :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->