whats the deal with sweeps? Can you request them?

MrsQ

Mummy to Mikey and bump
Reaction score
I dont get it.

I thought you could only have a sweep once you are overdue but some women seem to have them from 38 weeks plus?

can i be enlightened please?
x

Think it depends on your MW and your health etc, one of my MW said not until i was 41 weeks but the last one i saw said they would do it today 40+4 so fingers crossed they will.

Cant hurt to ask but chances are you will be told you need to be overdue.

Many factors come into.

Sometimes, just get a nice MW who is willing, usually normal pregnancy you'll have wait until 41weeks.

Like eternal said, no harm in asking.

i havent had a normal pregnancy tho :(
I am high risk. do i ask my midwife, community midwife or consutlant? Seeing consultant next friday x

Consultant would probably tell you whether they want to offer you 1 if your high risk.

Im guessing be your mw that will perform it.

I've been offered one at 40w (day after my due date) but from what i've heard there is no proof that they work (unless bubs is almost ready to come out anyway??)

anythings worth a try.

Just would like to be able to feel my fingers again (they are numb and comstantly on fire due to carpel tunnel) and also am ACHING to hold my baby!
x

As far as I can find out guidelines state that sweeps can be offered from 38 weeks.

BUT usually they aren't done until you are 40 weeks or have gone over due because a sweep will only work if your body is ready...so the cervix is starting to soften, efface and dilate.

Some MW's don't like doing them until its almost certain this will be the case i.e. when you are due/overdue because it can be uncomfortable or even painful for some.

The last time I saw my obstetrician she said she'd give it a go for me at my next appt 38 + 6...that was yesterday I didnt see her but did convince the other lady to try and I'm 1/2cm dilated and 50% effaced so even if it dosnt work at least I know things are going in the right direction LOL!

My hospital won't do them until 41 weeks :(. I saw my consultant on Tues who said to go bk at 40+2 and we'd discuss it again then!

I've got a MW app on Friday so I'm going to see if she will do one sooner for me.

My MW won't do one for me until next week when I'll be 41 weeks. Of all the people I know who have had them I have never heard anyone who they have actually worked for, but they must work for some people I guess, otherwise they wouldn't do them?

Its quite common before term not to be able to reach your cervix, especially with a head that is more than 2/5 palpable.

A sweep that is performed prior to the baby being at least 4/5 engaged can cause major problems such as cord prolapse (which is when the cord could drops below the baby’s head as the head isn’t near the cervix to block it) and the cord can prolapse through the vagina. Which would result in the need for a C section. Fetal distress is also another big factor as when the baby is engaging, it is preparing itself for birth and forcing it out before it's time can make it go into distress and cause more harm than good. I wouldn't want one before full term as I don't like the idea of scaring the poor thing.

thanks for that i didnt know that.
I just wish they could do something about my hands. (carpel tunnel) we have 2 glasses left now as i cant grip anything as i have no feeling in them. It feels weird when i type lol. x

thanks for that i didnt know that.
I just wish they could do something about my hands. (carpel tunnel) we have 2 glasses left now as i cant grip anything as i have no feeling in them. It feels weird when i type lol. x

It's plastic beakers and a straws all the way for you hun! Hope Baby Q comes out soon!

thanks babes.
you too. my friend had carpel tunnel for years before they operated!!! I cant believe people have this in real life!!!!
xxxx

Cord prolapse is really uncommon and sweeps offered before term wont be done if a MW is concerned about this happening.

My babba is at 3/5's and my MW said he may not come down any more I cold labour at 3/5's easily.

yeah i had mine today and i am 3/5, Sweep was a bit painful, but nothing too bad.

So far nothing and if not have another one next thursday! (so long away) then an induction sunday! cant beleive its going on so long lol!

Anyway, she can only do one if your certix is soft, mine was still posterior but he still managed to do it but i guess would have a higher chance if it was lower.

So even if you get a nice MW who offers you one then you still have to be nearing labour yourself, i dont think they will offer one for carpel tunnel though, as i have this and SPD and was told they are not valid reasons for early sweeps or inductions :'(. But I am low risk so u may be lucky!

I cold labour at 3/5's easily.

pardon? :haha: baby brain.....
x

MW meant that all was well for labour, baby doesn't have to be completely into the pelvis (so at 5/5 or 0/5 depending which way they're looking at it) for labour to begin and not have any problems. Sometimes baby wont move right down into the pelvis and be completely engaged until you are in active labour.

thats what she told me too, she said as long as baby was head down and at the brim its perfectly safe and that it will change when you go into labour!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->