whats up wiv my LO?

sweetsammi

1st time mummy and WTT
Reaction score
Recently my bubs isnt feeding too well. He used to take 3ounces now he only has 1, although he seems like he's constantly hungry..he wakes up alot in the night for feeds but when offered he'll only have a few sips. So we take it away and he starts crying again. Give him back his bottle and again he has a little only to spit it all out again. He's really windy but when we try wind him hardly anything comes up. Do you think he could have colic, or perhaps the teats arent right for him?? I have told my MW she just told me to change his teats, but i cant seem to get it right! The milk pours either too slow or too fast for him x

does he bring his knees up to his chest when he crys? how long does he cry for?

What flow teats are you useing?

x

does he bring his knees up to his chest when he crys? how long does he cry for?

What flow teats are you useing?

x

When he cries he just almost looks like and sounds as though he's constipated thats all i can describe it as. He certainly looks uncomfortable. Yes he does sometimes bring his legs up abit when he cries. He will cry hysterical until i try give him a wind then he stops..but still doesnt burp or anything.

To be honest i'm not sure what flow teats they are. They are just ones that came with the steriliser- Tomee tipee ones for newborns. Just says NO.1. I'm assuming they must be slow. I went in Boots and the faster teats say they are for older babies. x

might be worth getting some variable flow teats, then he can control the flow himself.

If he calms down a bit when he is upright then it is possible he has wind/colic, its heartbreaking to see them in pain and not being able to do anything :(

Just wind him as much as you can, even he if doesnt bring anything up, cool boiled water inbetween feeds might help him a bit too

x

Have you tried the teats that controll the airflow which are supposed to try and reduce colic??

Im no expert... Just a suggestion, I know we have bought quite a few different ones so we can see how things go

X

Sort of the same problem.

On the teats hun theres a number on them kinda ingraved in if you look closely no doubt they are number 1.

I was adviced to change teat to the next flow I have Tommee closer to nature & Avent bottles, here what I found.
Tommee teats next up (number 2) is for 3mnth + yet avent next teats up (number 2 again) is for 1mnth +. We found the tommee ones more flow than the avent so use the avent at night. She was drinking 1oz also now 2+ & a happy Mummy bar the wind but she farts alot lol which is just as good my MW said ha :D

Thanks guys. I bought him some avent anti colic bottles in the end that allow HIM to control the flow rate..so far so good. He has taken all 3ounces and seems quite content! Lets hope it wasnt just a one off! :) x

amber suffered colic a lot when she was a baby the cross shaped teats are best they can control the flow themselves(vari flow) also u know them bottles made for colic that have a tube inside them example dr browns do them but there are other brands i didnt have a problem with colic after this just wish id found them a lot earlier than 8 months

amber suffered colic a lot when she was a baby the cross shaped teats are best they can control the flow themselves(vari flow) also u know them bottles made for colic that have a tube inside them example dr browns do them but there are other brands i didnt have a problem with colic after this just wish id found them a lot earlier than 8 months

Those cross shaped teats..I have been looking for those, but couldnt find any in Boots today. I remember my little brother having them, do u know where sells them? x

Well it looks like i spoke to soon about them new bottles! Last night was awful! :( Oliver would not settle and when he did he was awake again within an hour crying for a feed..but when offerd he pushed it away! I am shatterd and feel guilty cus my lil man is so frustrated and unhappy and i dont know what to do for him. I feel useless. I hate seeing him like this. I have the worst migrain now from lack of sleep. I gave him some medicine for colic which seemed to help but only temporarilly. I dunno what to do! :( x

Those bottles you bought - not the ones at £5 a bottle? I bought 2 and found them useless :wacko: MW said her feeding (which was 1oz) may not be down to colic but we automatically assume so. I moved her to teat 2's (prefer avent at this stage on teat 2) and she takes around 2oz - 2halfoz a feed ~ MW is happy with that! She explained to me the size of her little belly so try not to panic.

Caitlin also has moments of none stop crying (or it seems) I ended up in tears and feeling so frustrated like you the other night I sat & cried with her. She also pushes bottle away but an hour of hair pulling she will take a lil bit (what I call a top up tbh).

What medicine is it your using? When did you start? We use infacol & we were also told not to give up on it because it doesn't instantly make a quick fix :D Colic or not it can help with her wind.

Hope this helps ~ Learning with you x

There the Avent airflex bottles, i think they are teat no. 2's. They where about £8 for two. Im using dentinox colic drops cus there safe from newborn, but he can only have 6 doses a day and goes barmy when i give it him, i assume it doesnt taste too good! Seems to be bringin his wind up though. We've had a good day today, Oliver has been feeding really well. I just hope it carries on tonight! Nice to know i'm not alone in this, thanks Wobbles x

u can get the cross shaped teats from mothercare boots and most chemists should sell them

Yer that stuff is the same as infacol :D We have it ~ it smells and tastes rank :lol: Infacol doesn't seem to taste to harsh (imo anyway hun).

Glad hes feeding better :hugs: makes you feels so much better as a Mummy doesn't it. I was excited when she took 2oz lol but after 1 of those anti-colic bottles the teat changing soley defo worked for my lil woman. I love it when she opens her mouth though shaking her head about "remove the bottle" sign :lol:

Something brown bottles (Boots have em) have been recommended to us also the prices are shocking though :shock:

yeah they are bit expensive dr brown bottles but they work wonders lindam do them too

I had a voice in my head *step away from the shelf* :rofl: Id have tried them failing everything else and colic being confirmed if she still wasn't taking much :D

MW said yesterday that Oliver is too young to have colic...? If thats so why do they sell colic drops for newborns? x

Maybe its just they can't confirm it so early. Think I said somewhere MW said so young it can be hard to tell and most times its just assumed when really its just their little bodies adjusting and I think she said their tummies are prune size so she said imagine squeezing 3oz into that or along those lines. Infacol etc can help with wind in general and can do no harm :D

The bottles Wobs is on about are Dr Browns and they turned my sister's life around when her little boy had colic.

Colic is a common problem, affecting 10-25% of all newborns. It is defined as recurrent inconsolable crying in a healthy and well-fed infant. It usually begins at about two to three weeks of age, is at its worst at six weeks of age and then gradually improves and finally resolves on its own by three to four months. The most common symptoms of colic are the sudden onset of screaming and crying that can last for more than two to three hours at a time. Babies with colic will often seem as if they are in pain and are difficult to console. While crying they will usually pass a lot of gas, draw up their legs and their abdomen may seem hard or distended.

Most babies with colic have one or two episodes of this type of crying each day. In between these episodes they usually act fine. HTH :hugs:x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->