whats ur thoughts?

P

purple_socks

my LO weighed 11lb2 last monday and apparently should b having 5oz bottles each day but he's barely finishing them...he tends to finish 1 or 2 bottles but the rest he only has 3oz-4oz sometimes less. i want him to start sleeping longer at night and hopefully sleep thro his 3am feed but i dont think he's eating enough during the day to do this. do you think it could b the formula i use? he gets trapped wind alot and i was wondering if this makes him feel full. He also screws his face up alot and spits his milk out loads...do think he doesn't like the formula? should i try switching to another brand and see if he prefers it?
if so which brand? i currently use sma gold.

which bottles are you using, are you still using the newborn teats...

tommee tippee closer to nature ones...they dont appear to have a choice of teats. this what they say on their site: Super-sensitive anti-colic valve Teat designed to mimic the natural flex and feel of a mum's breast. Soft natural feel silicone teat. Slow flow teat. BPA free for total reassurance

du think the bottles could b the problem?

Yeah possibly. There should be a choice of teats. Anyone who uses TT bottles care to help on that one?

For example, Avent teats come in 0 (newborn) 1 (one month plus) 2 (2 months plus) 3 (3 months plus) and 4 (6 months plus) If you don't change up to faster teats, LO will get fed up / tired halfway thru a bottle and leave the rest. Or they will just suddenly refuse bottles like Ruby does when she's decided she can't be doing with the teats anymore!

lol how funny...just hunted abt on the tommee tippee site and have found different teat sizes x

I use these btls and i have put Alex on to the meduim flow teats and hes now taking 3 to 4oz at a feed. The slow flow ones were not letting him get the milk quick enough. Alex only weighs 7lbs 10oz but HV said it was ok

I put Joseph on Tommee Tippee variflo teats and they seemed to help him, instead of a round hole it has a cross shaped hole so the harder LO sucks the more milk he gets out, so he controls the flow. They might be worth trying? x

I dont think that swapping formula will help keep your baby fuller (but could be wrong!) but, in answer to the bit about trapped wind, we swapped LO from SMA gold to Aptimal when he was 5 weeks, due to him having really bad wind and tummy ache all the time.

I also wouldn't worry too much about what your LO should 'apparantly' be having, all babies take different amounts at different stages. My LO is now on 5 * 8oz bottles and has been since 3 months, however, on the aptimal box, the max it says is 7oz! I have had LO weighed today, 14lb 15oz, and on the 50th percentile, so he is gaining just right despite having more that what he 'should' have.

As for your LO not taking all of your bottle, i would just say the same as the others, Reuben started to mess with his bottles at 3 months, so i moved him onto 4mnt + teats, much better! - although at first he did sputter a bit, as it took him a few days to realise he no longer needed to suck as hard as he did on the previous teats, which were 0+

That's true about the spluttering a bit at first. Make sure you always put a bib on LO!

I would try the bigger teat - we just went up to th enext size and she will take a bottle quicker - worth a try, but we use the size 1 if she has to have a feed during the night as she gulps too fast with the size 2.

As for what they ''should'' have - your baby knows that.
We have days where she will decide what she wants and it varies - today she had 6oz, then an hour later 3oz - 2 hours later another 6 and an hour after that again a 3oz! Then she has days where she'll go 4 hours on 5oz - I think just like us we don't always want to eat the same amount at the same times, but we know not to starve ourselves.
I also wonder if your lo is too young to be sleepign through the night yet - we found she dropped her midnight feed ratehr than the one we wanted her to drop no matter what we did, but she is sleeping longer and longer these days so hang in there!

I think if a baby needs a night feed he/she will wake for it under normal circumstances, I would only say wake for a night feed if LO was prem, not putting on weight or other health problem. Otherwise you are encouraging night waking.
Ruby slept through from 6 weeks when she weighed 10lb, and has never woken up in the night since. I think most babies need to drink about 900-1000ml of formula or breastmilk during the day before they are able to sleep through.

Woohoo! Kian slept from 8pm with a dream feed at 11pm until 7am last night!!!

we wake kian for feeds during the day (if he hasn't woken up 4 them himself) and we dream feed him when we go to bed but have always let him wake up naturally if he wants food in the night. We've also always kept lights low and not talked to him from 8pm to 6/am to encourage 'night' and day.

i'm gonna try switching to another formula tho coz he appears to want more of his bottles but goes all stiff and red everytime he starts sucking and he gets really grizzly after bottles...think he's getting quite windy from SMA. Might also try bigger teat size and see if that helps too.

What formula should tryi swticing to? theres so many its quite confusing?! i used SMA coz it was offered in hospital and i was told to just stick to what ever one i started using. Also apparently they use it in baby ICU coz its the best but then i've heard good things abt aptamil? so baffled :p

Wow, go Kian! Cow and Gate was good for us, but you never know. I would just pick any other formula that is easily available locally and try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->