What's your thoughts on people with Downs getting pregnant?

I wish I hadn't started this thread now...people have got the wrong end of the stick. In the first post I stated "I don't think they should be allowed to get pregnant" - MEANING THE TWO PEOPLE WHO HAD DOWN SYNDROME ON THE PROGRAMME. Yes I pointed out the baby would probabley have down syndrome but the main reason I don't think they (MEANING THE TWO PEOPLE ON THE TV PROGRAMME, NOT ALL PEOPLE WITH DS!!!) shouldn't be allowed to get pregnant was because both seemed to have severe learning problems and the female stated, when asked WHY she wanted a baby "dunno, cos my bf does" !!!! Please can some people stop thinking I am some awful nasty person who hate people with disabilities! I am very sorry if I have offended anyone BUT AS SAID IN OTHER POSTS if people wish to bring a baby into this world knowing they have "problems" then I wish them all the best and respect that. Would I bring a child into this world if I didn't think I could look after them?? NO - but that is my choice.

Sorry if I sound RAR but it is really upsetting me I am getting the impression some people think I was being down right nasty, when I wasn't. :-(

I thought it was a good thread. I didn't see the program, but I still liked reading people's views and stories in regards to the subject. :shrug:

Don't sweat it. x

I know absolutely nothing about Downs but think that any couple should be allowed the chance of a family, however I say this with the hopes that if they were unable to care for the child that the state investigate their situation and do what was in the childs best interest.
I personally would rather a capable couple with Downs be in charge of a baby than a 12yr old who thinks the only thing you do when you have a baby is push it round in a buggy.

I don't know who said about thelady who had a baby with a serious illness and the tax payers had to pay for her until she died at the age of 9 was a bad thing, but I don't think it was a very fair comment. I have not had any testing in this pregnancy or any other pregnancy for abnormalities or life threatening conditions because if my baby was born with 3 head and no limbs (I hope it isn't by the way) then I would love it exactly the same as I would if it were 'normal' I know people who have had babies knowing they were going to die before they reached a year - why is that wrong? I would cherish the time I had with my baby if that were the case for me and not expect people to say I was wrong for doing so just because it needed medical care that was costing the tax paters money...

As for the OP's question, I am with the majority in that I think so long someone, regardless of whether they have a disability or not, can make an informed, mature decision to have a baby and raise it properly, then why not? I also know people that shouldn't be having kids and they are classed as 'normal' (I hate that word).

Sorry for the typos ^^^ my keyboard is on the arm of the chair bouncing about as I type :)

OP - don't worry, the thread is fine. You always get thread-police taking things the wrong way, I find it best to ignore their posts and just read the ones that get what your OP is on about!

I think it depends on how severe the downs is.......

I can think of some people WITHOUT downs that shouldn't have babies!!!

i have known downs couples or couples where 1 person has downs to have a baby and in some cases key workers stay in close contact and in others the couple has minimal contact with key workers. It varies per individual case i imagine.

As for my personal opinion i dont c it as a problem, downs syndrome isnt a particularly painful condition it doesnt require painful medical procedures etc so i cant c how it would be a 'bad' thing if a downs couple had a child together. Only thing i find sad is often people with downs have a shorter than average life expectancy so they may not c their child grow up, but then again some people live longer than docs expect so in all i dont c the problem. Everyone deserves love happiness and a family of their own really dont they?

Just curious on peoples views. I recently saw a programme on TV which was talking about how two people with down syndrome were having a sexual relationship and were not taking precautions because they wanted a baby of their own. The baby would also be born with Downs. What's your opinions on this? I know I may get shouted at but in my opinion they shouldn't be allowed to get pregnant...I understand they can have a intimate relationship with who they like, but take precautions......is it just me? My friend said I am being horrible. From what I understand downs is a mental conditon also, which would then raise the question how will they be able to look after a baby?

Just curious on others thoughts and wasn't sure where to post this but as I am in the 3rd tri thought I might as well put it here.

i dont like the sentence in bold, people with downs arent "they" they are people too!

there are alot of "normal" people who shouldnt be allowed children but are because its our right to do what we want with our own bodies.

how do u no the baby would have downs too? was this on the program?

id be worried about how the couple would cope with the baby and if they would get help ect.
my brother has special needs and i no he wouldnt last 2 seconds with a baby so i pray he doesnt have any. but if he did i no my mum would help him and the mother

Borrowed your quote Moomin as the OP has edited :shrug:

TBH i can think if people who don't have Down's Syndrome who shouldn't get pregnant :thumbup:

Responding to the OP:
I think all human beings have the right to reproduce and I think we should, as a society, do what we can to support each other in situations where any parents need help of any kind, be it financial, emotional, medical, whatever. Sure, it's idealistic, but that's the world I would like to live in. So I have no problem with it.

I've actually had to deal with this issue a couple of times. I'm a case manager for people with developmental disabilities, and I had one couple a few years ago that got pregnant (the father was functioning at an 8 year old level and the mother not much higher than that). Their child is currently being raised by one of the grandparents (and does not have downs). Had there not been family to step in, the child would have been put into foster care.

Recently I've had another lady express interest in having a child with her boyfriend. She functions at about a 12 year old level. Her family has made it very clear that they will not support her if she does become pregnant, and unfortunately that child would probably be taken away (she does not realize this though). I'm currently faced with the decision of whether or not to "convince" her that she needs to be on a more permanent form of birth control.

These examples are obviously not the most positive ones, but the only times I've personally dealt with it.

I think there are definitely people out there with developmental disabilities that would make great parents- with the right support- and I absolutely think they have every right to. There is such a wide range of levels of functioning to consider. I think when most people think of someone with downs they have a certain picture in their head, which isn't always the case.

ANyhoos, listen to me ramble! It is a touchy subject, but I think a lot of people just aren't educated on it.

i defo think that she be treated like people that dont have any problems as they get all the help they need from their social workers, 2 downs adults does not make a downs baby, there is a down couple living on the same estate as me and there daughter has no health problems what so ever, and they are the sweetest couple i have ever met, they have been married for 20 years and they dote on their daughter so much and have never asked anyone for help, they have built their family and their home themselves xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->