When and how stould I tell my boss I'm pregnant?

SarahBear

Reaction score
So I'm in the United States which means I am entitled to 12 (unpaid) weeks of maternity leave. Normally I would think to find a good time to go speak with my boss in his office. The thing is though I work for a virtual school which means that the vast majority of my work is done from home over a computer and most interactions with those I work with, happen through email. Some interactions happen virtually in meetings though. We do have face to face time, but it is limited and private face to face time is even more limited. For example, we had a committee meeting where somewhere around 12 of us had meetings for a couple days. We were always in a large group and we were at a hotel, so no opportunity to speak privately in an office. Next week we'll be having a face to face meetings again. The first two days will be the special education team and the next two days will be the whole school staff. It will be held in a hotel conference room again. So no private offices and mostly a group setting. Then the week after that, some of the special education staff will be traveling to the school's office to do some paperwork. I'm wondering if that might be the best opportunity to inform my boss that I am pregnant and will be looking to take family leave around the end of March. I could tell him by email, but with so many face to face opportunities this month, I'm thinking thinking that telling him directly might be a better call. So which do you think is better: sooner and by email, later and in person at the office, or some other opportunity?

Personally I would opt for email but it depends if you'd rather have the discussion face to face I guess!

And how would you write that email? I guess Google had me thinking that in person would be best, but given my work environment, I don't know that Google's advice is applicable.

I would email to ask for him to make time to speak to him privately before or after one of the meetings and follow it up with a letter.
Xx

I'm not sure what sort of relationship you have with your boss but I would probably write something along the lines of "I'd liked to have told you face to face but as that isn't very feasible at the moment and I want to give you as much notice as possible, i'm emailing to let you know i'm pregnant. My due date is .... and therefore I will be looking to take some time off around ..... please don't hesitate to contact me if you want to discuss"
Something along those lines anyway - its awkward isn't it!! Can see why face to face is a much easier option.

Email sent:

I would like to have a chance to speak with you about something. In person would be better than virtual. Could we arrange a time to meet one to one at Face to Face next week?

I'll be meeting with him Monday Morning. I told him that a few minutes should be long enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->