When are you telling your work?

gingajewel

Mommy to Megan
Reaction score
I work in an office with just me and my manager so we are fairly close. I had to have three days off sick last week as my sickness was so bad but i think i have made the decision to not to tell work until i am 12 weeks and have had my 12 week scan - i have had a private one but i think i would rather wait until 12 weeks.
So for now i am trying my hardest to hide my sickness and appear like everything is ok :dohh: when all i want to do is curl up in a ball (and be very sick!!)

My 3 month probation is up 1st Oct and 12 week scan is 6th. Been told I'm going to pass so waiting for that in writing then I'll be telling them I'm 3 months pregnant oops haha x

Oh I am dreading telling work. There are just 3 of us in the office and we are pretty close and I know they will be delighted for me personally but it is of course a ball of hassle replacing me and/or doing without me for 6 months again. I'll be only back of maternity leave 13 months when I'm off again!!

DH and BF say I am showing and think its hilarious that I haven't told them yet when I'm waltzing around with a bump but I just can't bring myself to do it!

I have a scan this evening and I'm 12 weeks Thursday but my Manager is out until later this week or even early next week (Gone to Las Vegas not sure when we'll see him again!!) so I'll have to wait and tell him first out of manners!

Personally I'd rather wait until I'm in labour and just ring in sick for 6 months!!! HA :)

With my first, I didn't necessarily come out and say I'm pregnant per say. I think around 3 months I started mentioning in my weekly reports that I would be taking some time off in June. It wasn't until I was 6 months that someone finally asked me if I was pregnant. It may have become office gossip/knowledge at that point. And finally the Friday that my son was due I was feeling quite awful and couldn't imagine working any more before arrived, so it was at that point I told my manager that I was going to start my maternity leave as of the next week because I just felt awful. That was about as close as I got to actually telling them I was pregnant (though it was quite obvious by then : )).

With my first two I waited to tell work until I was 16 weeks. This time I haven't decided yet. Last week I was in a client meeting and spent the last 30 minutes focusing entirely on not being sick in the middle of the meeting... and when it was finally over, I was talking to my colleague and excused myself and quickly ran to the toilet where I proceeded to throw up. I have no idea if she picked up on it or not though.

I have a scan next week (at 10 weeks) and then am going on vacation for 3 weeks... so depending on how things go I might tell them after we get back. DH already told his work as he needed to get some time off for the first mw appointment.

I was just having this discussion because I am starting to show with my 2nd and I have my sono on Wednesday this week, so if all goes well I will be telling my boss Thursday morning... Which I am nervous about as I just moved into a new position, new boss, new department and team. I am heading a huge new project for my company and expected roll out is when I am due!!

I have a new manager this time around, but he is already aware I want more kids and even asked the week I started my new position if any more were on the way yet. He asked about two weeks too early :) I'm sort of in the process of taking over for him in a few areas, but the overarching team we work on is really supportive of families and making it as easy as possible to spend time when needed with your family. I just find it awkward to be like 'oh by the way i'll be taking 6-8 weeks off come April, have a good day'.

He also recently told me to take more time off unless I was saving up for a megacation. Not that I have extra time right now, but I could have used that to be like well....come April I could use any extra time I have saved up.

I was just thinking about this whole thing this morning! I am so conflicted. On the one hand, I'd rather not say anything for as long as possible, because I don't really want to be the recipient of everyone's advice for months and months, but on the other hand, I'd make going to appointments easier. I also need to give my boss some time to figure out how to temporarily replace me while I'm out, and to negotiate my leave. :wacko:

So, I'm thinking at the end of first tri?

I'm weird and announced at 6 weeks with DD. It made it so much easier to not have to hide anything and to schedule appointments. I also went through a threatened miscarriage and didn't have to pretend to be all fine and happy when I wasn't, and everyone was so supportive. It's such a personal choice though!

I'm waiting until after my prenatal to tell my boss. I read in my book that it is best to tell your boss right after you do something great. This is my tenure year, so I want to be able to tell her after my prenatal preferably after a great meeting about my first observation or after I just did something epic.

As for coworkers, I'll tell them when the panorama results come in (11ish weeks).

I might have to cave and tell sooner. I am having a hard time with the frequent urination and how much pain I am in when I don't go immediately. I have had the clerk come into my class three times in the last 2 days to let me go to the bathroom. If I can't figure something out, I'm going to have to tell my boss and work out a potty schedule.

With my first I was able to not tell till 13 weeks. This time I'm 7 weeks and already had to tell work. Didn't like doing that at all. I haven't had my ultrasound yet :( I had to tell them because I couldn't go to xray with my pt.

I've been debating this myself. I work in a kitchen which means I feel sick practically my entire shift but I'm only 5 weeks. I'm going to try and wait until 12 weeks but I have no clue if I'll actually be able to wait that long.

I'm the youngest in a kitchen of all women and they have been asking me for years if I'm pregnant anytime I have any physical affliction. I'm worried they're going to catch on before I'm ready to tell them!

I told my work when I was about 5 weeks, the same as with my first 2 pregnancies. I was going to try to wait longer this time, but I find it makes everything so much easier when they know. For example, I'm struggling with nausea today so just told them I was going on an early lunch and they have no problem with it as they understand the reason. If they didn't know, I'd have had to sit in the office for an hour and a half feeling like death, trying not to throw up and end up getting no work done anyway, until I could get a break firing the official lunch hour.

I told my boss yesterday (4+3) mainly though because she's an OB doctor and I am her secretary, so I have been able to set up an ultrasound an blood work through her. She's an awesome boss to though :)

I'm only just over 4 weeks but will need to tell work ASAP, as I'm a vet nurse, so I have so many things I can't do, xrays, masked Anaesthetics, giving certain drugs blah blah. Really don't want to say so early, and to tell them before my family but oh wants to wait to tell family til at least after first apt

I've told management almost as soon as i knew because of risks associated with my job. I work with children who often have challenging behaviours, so the risk of being hit/ kicked/ etc is high. Unfortunately there are a lot of staff and its not practical to tell them all right now so although the other staff in my group knows, most other staff dont. But they'll understand soon. Will do an announcement for everyone after my scan. Until then they'll just have to assume i'm being lazy! Xxx

I told my boss around 14 weeks or so I think... A co-worker asked if I was pregnant around 17 weeks and the news made the rounds while I was off work for my daughter's surgery and vacation in the 2 weeks following that. It worked out well because I didn't want to announce it to these people and by the time I came back to work I was pretty big, would've been completely unable to hide it anymore!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->