When could you first hear baby's hb?

emu361

Reaction score
With my son they easily found his heartbeat at 8 weeks. I went in at 9.5 this time and they couldn't it yet. My midwife didn't seem concerned and said it's still early, but I didn't know 8 weeks was rare. I go in again at 12 weeks but now I'm kind of worried. Has anyone else had this happen and everything was fine?

With my son they easily found his heartbeat at 8 weeks. I went in at 9.5 this time and they couldn't it yet. My midwife didn't seem concerned and said it's still early, but I didn't know 8 weeks was rare. I go in again at 12 weeks but now I'm kind of worried. Has anyone else had this happen and everything was fine?

I'm not sure how rare it is, but my midwife did say when I went in for my first u/s at 8 weeks that we should see the hb but may not be able to hear it. I think every pregnancy is different.

Do you mean on ultrasound or on Doppler? You can usually hear baby's heartbeat on ultrasound at between 6-9 weeks. On Doppler it is more around 11-14 weeks.

My midwife tried at 9+5 with Doppler and couldn't find it.
They normally don't even try until around 16 weeks as it can be very hit and miss before that, but she agreed to try with me because I know her and I promised not to panic if she couldn't find it, knowing it was just too early.
I bought a Doppler the following week and found it myself at 10+5, but everyone is different and it depends on lots of things.
Health professionals shouldn't really be trying so early though as it causes unnecessary worry/panic when they can't find it!

My doctor found it at 12 weeks. I couldn't find it with a home doppler until 16 weeks. We had our first ultrasound at 10 weeks, but the ultrasound tech said they don't listen for the heartbeat during ultrasounds because they feel it's putting too much into your body at once. But we did see the flickering heart on the monitor.

with my daughtee they found it at just under 7 weeks! had bleeding so was scanned. they said it maybe too early to see.

Thanks everyone! I know it's early, and I'm not really too worried. I just thought it was normal when they found my son's so early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->