When did you see your GP to inform them of pregnancy?

BecciKim

No Title
Reaction score
Last month I posted in here that I was pregnant with my 3rd baby, unfortunately I had an early miscarriage at 4+2 (technically called a chemical). My line progression was just not progressing at all and I just knew I was going to lose the baby.

Well this month i am pregnant again :happydance: and my lines on my tests are super dark and strong, so much darker than last month. I'm super cautious and worried and anxious but also a little hopeful.

I have a doctor appointment with my GP (I'm in the UK) on the 2nd of July to confirm pregnancy and inform them of my loss last month but I'll only be around 5 weeks and 1 day pregnant then. Would you say it's too early to go to the GP?

After 2 miscarriages last year I held off until 7w something and that was only because I needed to see the doctor anyway and I felt reassured as I'd paid for a private scan, I think it all depends on when you feel comfortable enough. As silly as it is, I felt as though going to the doctor's was a jinx as I lost both pregnancies a few days after going last year but when I did go and the midwife phoned me on Tuesday she gave me a bit of a telling off because she has to rush me through everything now because I haven't left much time to fit it all in before the 12 week scan apparently, especially since I go away for a week next week #-oShe was lovely mind, I think she just would have liked me to have gone to the docs earlier x

I suppose it depends on what purpose going to the GP serves? Like, if you have a medical condition that needs extra care during pregnancy, or are at high risk for complications, I'd say as soon as possible.

Here, we sign up for our combined care service by going to the GP. I went at 6 weeks, and that got the ball rolling for the beginning of hospital appointments. I needed that to happen pretty quickly because I had early GD last time, and I want to catch it as early as possible this time.

At my surgery we don't need to get the GP to confirm the pregnancy anymore, we used too it must be a recent thing, you just phone up and the receptionist booked you an appointment with the midwife around 8 weeks, and the midwife does thr urine sample to confirm the pregnancy, the receptionists asks you a few routine questions over the phone mind like Im guessing if you took a test and wasn't sure on the result you go to the doctor, but if your like me and ended up doing 40,000 tests and was absolutely sure, you go to the midwife lol

Well my youngest daughter has a genetic syndrome so I'm assuming they'll treat me as a high risk pregnancy no matter what.
As far as I know, I see the GP who will do the urine test to confirm pregnancy and then arrange for the midwife to contact you. Thats what happened last time.

I saw my midwife at 8+2 for my booking in appointment. She went through all my paper work and tested my urine and did my blood pressure.
First scans in the UK are not done until 12 to 14 weeks. Mine was at 13+1 but because I've had 3 Misscariges I booked 2 early privet reassurance scans because I just cudnt wait until 13 weeks.
I'm not sure how it works in other countries.

My GP didn't see me at all. We have a central booking line (Scotland) and you phone that and get your 8 week booking in appointment with a midwife and it goes from there. My pregnancy is high risk but they still didn't want to see me before that. So strange how it's done differently everywhere

My GP didn't see me at all. We have a central booking line (Scotland) and you phone that and get your 8 week booking in appointment with a midwife and it goes from there. My pregnancy is high risk but they still didn't want to see me before that. So strange how it's done differently everywhere

That's kind of the same how it's done here in Wales hun, except we phone the GP receptionists as our maternity clinics are based in the surgery, and instead of making an appointment with the doctor you just get booked to see the midwife. I'm pretty sure you can just phone the midwives directly as well and do it that way, but their numbers are like goldust to find!

I haven't seen my GP at all, which I was surprised about. I thought they would confirm the pregnancy and then refer you, but I was just given the number to phone the women's hospital and was booked in for an appointment at 10+2 where bloods and urine was taken. It's crazy to me that they book an appointment on your say so though, it felt really strange :lol:

xo

Im also in wales and i rang the gp surgery who put me on a triage list to wait for a phone call from a doctor. A nurse ended up ringing me and said they dont deal with it and told me to ring reception and book in with a midwife. Im booked in for next week il be 5.5 weeks then so i wont be suprised if i dont get a phone call saying its too early to come in. And theres only 1 midwife for everyone, its ridiculous. When i lived in birmingham (england) i saw the gp at 5 weeks who did a test and again at 8 weeks and every month from then on also there were quite a few midwifes not just 1. So im kinda worried this time that i wont get the support i need if i need it.

I didn't see my GP at all (except to get meds for severe morning sickness) I had to go straight to midwife at 8 weeks :shrug:

My daughter had a GP appointment yesterday so I asked him what I needed to do whilst I was there and he said I need to book in with him first and then they arrange the midwife to see me. I'm booked in next week to see my GP. I'll only be 5 weeks but I had a very complicated pregnancy last time so I want to be seen sooner.

I'm in England and I didnt see a GP at all. I rang the surgery at 5 weeks to book in to see the GP but was told it's to early and the earliest I can he seen is at 8 weeks with a midwife.
I was told they dont see u any earlier unless ure bleeding or anything like that.
With my DD I saw a GP to have the pregnancy confirmed at about 6 weeks but they dont see you early any more.
Also my surgery only has the one midwife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->