When did you start dressing LO (especially boys!) in proper clothes?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Kitten-B, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Kitten-B

Kitten-B Mum of 2 gorgeous boys :)

Bit similiar to the sleepsuit/babygro thread but I was just wondering when everyone started dressing their babies in proper clothes everyday?

Sam is 2 months and he usually wears sleepsuits/babygros all day still. Dressed him a nice wee outfit yesterday (just soft dungarees and a t shirt - like in my avatar) for the first time all week and it did my head in - just seemed awkward and bulky and wouldn't sit right, especially when feeding him.

But concerned that now he's no longer a newborn that sleepsuits look like i've left him in his pyjamas all day though.

Although if I make the effort to dress him to go out he's in his pramsuit anyway as it's winter so no one sees anyway!

Baby boy clothes aren't the best are they? - all these separates (that then ride up), uncomfortable jeans and socks that never stay on. At least little girls get one piece dresses and stay-on tights...

2. GypsyDancer

GypsyDancer Mummy to Zach <3

Well, Zachs 4 months and i occasionally put him in some jeggings/little joggers or dungarees but i much prefer him in baby grows..i still take him out in them during the day..theyre just so much easier and probably comfier for him..and they sell them upto 12-18 months so i guess its normal for them to be in them still?

3. MissyMojo

MissyMojo Army Wife, Mam & BFP

maddox is 12w tomoro and i "dress" him most days, check out asda for some fab all in one outfits, v similar to sleep siuts but footless and popper at neck n tween legs only

4. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

Still haven't and don't plan to anytime soon

5. GypsyDancer

GypsyDancer Mummy to Zach <3

And tell me about the socks! Im constantlyy having to put them back on! haha..
    I sometimes think the jeans for boys are abit rough aswell, people have bought him a few sets of denim dungarees but theyre just too rough on his skin i think atm..so i havent been putting him in them..

6. New Mrs W

New Mrs W Frankie and Mickey's Mama

I started to "dress" Frankie properly when he was about 6/7 weeks old but I only ever put him in all in one outfits. He has twice worn dark blue cords with a nice long sleeved t-shirt (which button fasten between his legs) but only because his Daddy had a matching t-shirt (without the button fasteners!!) and we were going to family parties and I thought they looked cute matching each other! Asda, Boots and M&S have some lovely all on ones which are footless and more like proper clothes but still look right on a baby.

7. charlotte-xo

charlotte-xo Alfie and Darcey's mummy

mothercare have some great soft peices we went there last week and got him all new clothes hes outgrew 0-3 now.. :dohh:

i love sleepsuits alfie always looks so comfy in them there not akward easy access for nappy changes.
    i only put him in the soft dungarees and things if we go out to visit family or for meals, shopping even then i sometimes dont bother lol. im not sure when im going to start dressing him in big boy clothes yet :shrug: sorry not much help lol!!
    i want him to stay a baby forever :haha:

<3

8. Kelz22

Kelz22 Well-Known Member

I started dressing Michael properly when he was about 2 months.xxx

9. NG09

NG09 Well-Known Member

I started dressing him in real clothes at around 8 weeks, he wears sleepsuits at night but never in the daytime.

10. Ginger1

Ginger1 Harry's Mum

We've just started in the last couple of weeks, mainly because he's just starting to fit 0-3 months clothes now and he's been bought lots of outfits as presents. We're mostly sticking to little dungaree sets and things like that, although he's currently wearing a very funky hoodie today and some lined combat trousers. To solve the sock issue, we got a couple of pairs of sock ons and they're genius!! We're still going for stuff with leg poppers too for easy nappy changes.

https://www.sockons.co.uk/

Next do nice lined jeans and trousers so they're not too rough on little baby legs:thumbup:

11. Mrs Doddy

Mrs Doddy 1 pink 1 blue

at home Jess wears baby grows, if we go out I put her in leggings and a top or jeans and a top, have only just started doing this at nearly 5 months

12. Lara310809

Lara310809 Mum of 3 girls

Because it was so busy when LO was born, and we only had a few items of clothing for her, we left her in sleepsuits a lot of the time, but after a couple of weeks, people started commenting on it, so I felt pressured to dress her "properly". These days I will leave her in her sleepsuit if I feel particularly lazy, but most of the time I dress her in trousers and a top or something to that effect. IMO if you have the clothes, it's a shame to leave LO in sleepsuits, because they outgrow their things so fast. On the other hand, if you don't have the clothes to dress them in, sleepsuits aren't going to harm them, so make your own decision :shrug:

Oh, and the pretty dresses and tights get annoying when you change a million nappies a day, and the dresses ride up all the time, so LO ends up flashing her pants all the time :dohh:

13. Blsmummy

Blsmummy Mother of 2

Our LO wears proper clothes on mondays and thursdays as these are the days we go to playgroup. He also wears proper clothes when we go somewhere special like parties etc... and when we go baby clinlic for his injections he wears mostly sleepsuits when not wearing proper clothes. He started wearing proper clothes when he was newborn as when he was a few days old we were in playgroup x

14. anna matronic

anna matronic Mummy to Evan :-)

I first dressed evan at exactly one week as we went to playgroup but he admittedly looked silly as it drowned him!

I'd say about 3 weeks I started but not everyday. I probably dress him almost everyday now, except when I take him to baby clinic.

I find it just as easy if not more so to whip the jeans off to change bum. If he's sick I usually only need to change his top instead of whole sleepsuit.

:)

15. Farie

Farie Well-Known Member

Im just starting to occasionally put Nim in 'clothes' rather than grows. If were having a home day it's grows all the way!
    If I do put her in clothes its soft leggings or trousers over a sleeveless onesie vest with a long sleeved t on top. At least 1 layer needs to be poppered under the crotch or else I can't cope holding/handelling her lol

Anna raises a good point that with reflux babies it's actually easier to changed a sick covered t shirt rather than a whole grow.

I tried dresses a couple if times but IMHO she looked silly, they just don't work until they are at least able to sit up and have proper head control.

16. hannahR

hannahR Hollie aged three ttc no2

I started to dress Hazel in clothes from when she was about a week old. I prefer to get her dressed. I was the same with my eldest daughter. Hazel wears babygros for bed, not during the day. x

17. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

I guess I don't really understand what you mean by 'proper' clothes. I have footed pj's that he sleeps in and 'proper' onsies that he wears during the day with fleece pants to keep his legs warm. I also own some overalls that I sometimes put him in because he looks adorable in them.

18. anna matronic

anna matronic Mummy to Evan :-)

I don't have a girl but for u who do when lo starts crawling they will hate dresses and skirts as their legs and feet get caught up.

Bit ot but just in case u hadn't thought that far lol

:)

19. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

From what I've seen of pictures on here compared to babies I see in public here, I think it's more common in the UK to dress babies up in 'older' looking clothing whereas most of us Canada/USA moms tend to keep them in sleepsuits longer :rofl: I don't know any moms around here that would dress a baby under 6 months in anything but a sleepsuit except a party (if even that).

Must be a Europe/North America thing.

20. Pixxie

Pixxie Mum to 1 little girl

I dress Lyra if we are going out but if we are staying at home she stays in a sleep suit unless we are having visitors. I think she looks so adorable in her mini clothes so I love dressing her up! Xx