When did you start introducing solids??

xjennax

Reaction score
Hi ladies, just wondering how old your LO's were when you first introduced them to solids? I know that they say you should wait till 6 months these days but did anyone start a little earlier? :shrug:

My DD is 21 weeks and at the moment takes between 4 and 5 7oz bottles a day. She always drains her bottles and constantly watches OH and I eat even if shes facing away from us she'll strain her neck to turn round and watch and I always feel really guilty! At the moment she cries a lot in between bottles and at first I put this down to teething as her cheeks and gums were really quite red and she drooled and chewed on everything too.

However the past week or so shes started doing biting and chewing motions with her mouth and I'm unsure as to whether this is to do with her teething or not. I heard from another mum it can be a sign you're baby is hungry and ready for solids and that is them mimicking you eating.

I waited until 6 months. The watching you eat is normal and just baby curiosity. It does sound a lot like teething. Also mimicking you eating is just mimicking facial expressions.

They aren't ready until they can sit unaided, have lost their tongue thrust reflex and can bring toys to their mouths. Even then personally I would wait until 6 months as their gut isn't developed properly yet.

At that age I started putting him in his high chair at meal times with bowls, spoons and toys to get him used to the idea and because of that when I handed him a preloaded spoon of yogurt at 6 months he put it straight in his mouth by himself.

We just started giving DS solids this past week. Here it is common to start at 4 months. We only give him small amounts (not even one size 1 jar a day) but he enjoys the food and is doing very well eating off a spoon. He is still being offered 5 8oz bottles a day too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->