When did you wean your LO?

Angelblue

Twin Mummy
Reaction score
When did you wean your LO? how many months? actual or corrected?
What signs did you have?
Did you go to hungry milk first? (one HV has said to, the other says you dont necessarily need to)
I think I'm going to have one ready before the other, not sure whether to go to hungry first or what, and how much milk do they have before you go to hungry? I'm so confused about it all!

Well we are now exactly 6 months actual and I started weaning at the end of January because I just got the feeling he was ready. He kept chewing his fingers and starting trying to put his fists in his mouth, and he had jumped up the centile chart so his growth has been quite fast paced and I wasn't sure milk on it's own would be enough for him.
We haven't given him anything with too many tastes, just stuck to simple fruit and veg purees in the afternoon / teatime and he also has some banana porridge in the mornings. At first sometimes he would have it, seemed like the best thing in the world, other times it was the worst thing in the world! But like any baby routine he seems to be getting the hang of it now.
He's still on Enfamil AR as it's the only one he can keep down, I haven't changed that. I don't really get the hungry milk. I've had a look at the nutritional breakdown and it doesn't seem all that different to the regular milk to me.

We went for a happy medium between actual age and corrected.(reading back i think its was like, one spoonful at 12 ish weeks?) Bliss guidelines say go by actual age.

Hungry milk isnt necessary for babies unless they are drinking loads of their regular formula.
You can stay on your normal formula if its working for you, for as long as you want :) - hungry formula will only fill your LOs up if they don't normally drink it.

We started at about 5 months actual with baby rice. We took it all quite slowly and didn't move on from that for a month.

HV's know very little about preemies, so generally take their advice with a pinch of salt.

Is 200ml (6 1/2 ounce) alot? debating whether to switch to hungry until they are ready for weaning???

We weaned Joshua at 6.5 months actual and 4 months corrected, he was feeding every 2 hours including through the night ( he had been sleeping through) our hv said to wean anywhere between 5 months actual and 6 months corrected if that makes sense, just when u feel they are ready :) x x x

I weaned my two at 5 1/2 months actual (3 1/2 months corrected). I knew they were ready as they couldn't take enough milk into their little tummies to fill them up for the 4 hours between feeds that they had always gone before. I started with baby rice, and they wolfed it down! I think if they mess with it and spit it out or gag on it then you know they are not ready.

I did use hungry milk from about 3 months actual but only for their nightfeed as it helped to fill them up enough to get them through the night!

With regards to volumes, I think (although its a bit hazy now!) that Ben was taking about 240mls and Joshua about 220mls. They physically didn't seem to be able to drink anymore even if offered it, and yet the length of time between their feeds was getting shorter and shorter!!

Yeah this is what is starting to happen with these two, Georgia had an extra 90ml 2hours after a full feed earlier then a full feed as normal 2 hours later!!! Shes never done this before!!! They are still sleeping through at the moment. They are putting their hands in their mouth loads, but then I keep thinking,maybe it could be teething? Changed to hungry today we'll see how it goes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->