When did your baby double birth weight did it effect weaning age?

GemmaG

Reaction score
I had my HV out on Monday the twins were 13 weeks we had all the usual checks etc and she was quite shocked to find that both Mia and Mason had doubled their birthweight. Mia weighed 12lb 3ozs and Mason 12lb 8ozs.

She said it usually takes to around 5-6 months to double and a year to triple. She asked how much they drink during a day they take 6-7oz bottles and have anywhere between 33-38 oz's she said this was too much :shrug: apparently they should only be taking a maximum of 32ozs! She said she wouldn't want them to be taking 8oz bottles all the time.....

So then it leads to weaning she started going on about the earliest I should wean is 17 weeks (way to early in my eyes) although guidelines stipulate 6 months but she thinks that they may need more substance earlier as she doesn't want them over feeding because the milk isn't filling them enough. I was hoping to BLW and we are going to paris to Disneyland when they are 5 months and selfishly I don't want them to be weaning at this time but how will I know I need too can they over feed on milk? Is it bad that they have doubled already and do you think they will need early weaning?? She even left me a book on it to read I just don't know I'm a first time mum so I'm thinking maybe she knows best as I haven't a clue! Xx

We went to out hv to her my LO weighed and checked. She is 16 weeks and was born 8 pound 10 and now weights 18 pound 2! What a chunk! She is breastfed on demand so I'm not sure exactly how much she feeds on in a day. Sometimes I wish I could measure! My hv said she thinks I'll get a month max before we need to start her on solids as the milk will soon just not be satisfying her. I'm in no rush to wean so am going to totally let my LO lead as opposed to going on the hv's advice. She seems content and happy enough, only thing is she's started to wake a lot at nights which I presumed was due to the 4 month sleep regression but my hv says its probably that she need solids in her. I'd be interested to know what others have found with their LO's too x

My DD doubled by three months (born at 7 pounds). My DS takes a cake though - doubled by not even two months (born at 6 pounds five weeks early, now almost 13 pounds). He is ALWAYS hungry and is breastfed, not even combi fed so my jaw dropped when I saw the numbers on the scale.

I think your Hv is chatting bubbles. My lo was born 7lb10 and was 14lb5 at 9 weeks. He had almost tripled his birth weight by 6 months and didnt start solids until 5. There is a growth spurt at 4 months which people often mistake for baby needing to go on solids.

Thanks girls I don't think its as much of the doubled weight that's an issue it's that they are taking mostly 7oz bottles the odd 6oz here and there she seems to think it won't satisfy them until 6 months and doesn't want them overfeeding on milk as they are taking more than the recommended amount already:shrug: x

Also she checked their gross motor skills they are already raking toys over with their hands picking things up to their mouths although most times they smack themselves in the head with it :haha:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 7
My daughter doubled her birth weight at 4 months exactly. She is now 5 and a half months and I have no intentions of starting weaning until 6 months.

Honestly if I was in your situation, if you feel they are happy on formula, and don't need anything else, then don't wean them until you feel that it's time.

My LO doubled her birth weight just after three months.

I wouldn't think your babies need solids yet, they're still so young and it sounds like they're doing fine on milk :)

Weight has nothing to do with weaning age. Their insides are still maturing - thats whats the most important part.

Good :) thank you at least I'm not alone on this I plan to stretch them out until at least the new year hopefully.......I really want to start with BLW thanks for the reassurance sometimes I think HV are more hassle than their worth! X

actually my doctor, when he saw how my DD is growing @4 months (she ended up on 97 percentile for both height and weight) and also slept through the night, said NOT to start solids since she is growing great and there is just no need to add to this until necessary. She didn't start solids until 7 months (we tried at 6 and she wasn't all that ready for BLW).

My son had doubled his birth weight by 8 weeks, yet I doubt he will be ready for solids by even 6 months as he is just not interested x

my son doubled his weight today, at 6 months and a few days. Doubling the weight is just a guide line (and pretty silly imho), babies come in all different shapes and sizes :)
We started solids a few days ago, just a few tastes at noon, he loves veggies, hates fruit.

20 years ago they thought once baby doubled birthweight or reached 12lb whichever was sooner you had to start them on solids but this was because the research was far less advanced than now, it's now known that weight regardless of whether a baby is large or small, is nada to do with them needing solids or not. Also the stipulated amounts on formula packaging are just a guide some babies will take more and others less. My youngest is 22 and a half weeks still a pound and ten ounces off doubling his birthweight and some HVs would say because of him taking time to double his birthweight and dropping a couple of centiles after he was born he needs solids earlier. He doesn't look small though I always get comments about how chunky and tall he is but HVs focus on numbers. There are some HVs who suggest solids as a cure all for everything. We're going on a short holiday next week and in an so glad we don't have to faff about with food yet. He can sit unaided now and grabs for our food as well as being able to perfectly coordinate movements to put things into his mouth but am still going to wait until as close to 26 weeks as possible xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->