when do bf babies start sttn

KatyR

Reaction score
Ever since he was born I get 3-4 hrs between feeds, day and night. When do the gaps start g getting bigger?

3-4 hour gaps sound great! I had a baby with a voracious appetite who would sometimes only go 45 minutes between feeds. She didn't sleep through the night until she was 14 months old, but don't let that dishearten you. I have friends with formula-fed babies who have 3 year old's who won't even STTN. It's entirely dependent on the child. The gaps will stretch out as they age. It is tough, but all mothers know sleep deprivation. :winkwink:

My dd sttn at 2 months old (8-10 hours). But I also fed on demand during the day sometimes every 2 hours and did cluster feeds. It may have helped her fill during the day to sttn

There isn't a set age, it really varies from baby to baby. My daughter didn't sleep through until 10 months but I know of many BF babies who slept through at 8 weeks. I don't think feeding method has much to do with it.

It was 20 months for us. She had slept through briefly at around 10 months but quickly went back to frequent wakings.

3-4 hours is pretty standard at that age I think, regardless of if breastfed or formula fed.

Still waiting here, but as pp have said I think there's a huge range of normal.

It is child dependant rather than feeding method. First child every 3-4 hours until 19 months. Second has now been doing 10 hours for the last two weeks.

Mine was 6 months, 3 adjusted for his prematurity.

I night weaned my LO after her second birthday. I night weaned my first LO, who was FF, just before her second birthday. Neither slept through until then. I waited until they could give up the night feeds with no real fuss so I knew they were ready.

Thanks ladies, posted thread in early hours after we only managed a 1 hour break between feeds so i guess i was hoping for good news! Ah well. Never mind! Will continue hoping for 5 hrs!

Mine is starting to on and off since just before 8 weeks...but when she sleeps longer at night the day after she would feed almost continuously with very short naps (that don't happen anywhere but my lap) with barely enough time for me to eat, drink, etc.

It does vary though. Sometimes she would sleep 5 hrs then wake up hourly after that.

3-4 hours is fab. We don't even get 2. Most of the time only 1! 9 feeds last night between 11 and 9. We feed 2 hourly during the day.

We used to have 3-4 hour between feeds up until 13 weeks and then it all went tits up and 5-7 night feeds have been the norm ever since (20 weeks now). So take advantage of your sleep as it may not be here to stay!

Sleep? What is that? My baby slept 3-4hrs til 2m and then reflux hit bad and we maybe get 1hr if we are lucky!

Some people refer to STTN as a developmental milestone just like rolling over, sitting, walking or talking.
Chances are your baby will do it when he/she is ready.

Mine started sleeping one 6 hour stretch at about 8 weeks (9pm-3am give or take) but still wakes at 6am to eat again and go back to sleep. His daytime feedings vary from day to day, as we still don't really feed/nap on a schedule. But he's usually eating around every 2 hours during the day.

Maybe offer a little more frequently during the day so he's needing to eat less at night.

Mine STTN from around 10 weeks of age but it only lasted until around 4.5 months and she has never slept through since! I think mine is in the minority though, so don't panic!

I would say you're very lucky getting 3-4 hrs between feeds. My dd is 5.5 months and she feeds every 1.5hrs during the day andy anything goes at night! She has done some 5 or 6 hr strectches but they are few and far between. For 3 weeks over christmas she sleep great with only 1 or 2 feeds. Now we've been doing feeds/nursing every 1-2hrs in the night for the past 6 weeks x

I would say you're very lucky getting 3-4 hrs between feeds. My dd is 5.5 months and she feeds every 1.5hrs during the day andy anything goes at night! She has done some 5 or 6 hr strectches but they are few and far between. For 3 weeks over christmas she sleep great with only 1 or 2 feeds. Now we've been doing feeds/nursing every 1-2hrs in the night for the past 6 weeks x

Sounds very familiar

DS1 was 8 months, although he was sleeping well before that, barring 6 weeks of the sleep regression he woke once a night from 6 weeks ish.

DS2 can easily go 4 hours inbetween feeds but he wakes frequently at night, it sounds strange but it is like his feeding and sleeping aren't related, I feed him when he wakes but I'm not convinced he is hungry. He wakes 3 times a night and will only do a 3 hour stretch and only once, rest of the night is 2 hours or less. Very frustrating, hoping he will just start sleeping longer?

My three eldest STTN from very early on, though out of the three of them my middle son whom I switched to mainly FF at 3.5 months took the longest. My two youngest have been worse sleepers, my second youngest slept through the night from about 10 weeks and before that would have long stretches of at least six hours. Could self settle too. Then at 7 months it all went pear shaped and he started waking every two hours, this improved when he was 11 months but he still occasionally wakes up once in the night and he is three now. My youngest is 8 months now and he has always been a very light sleeper and won't sleep until at least 11pm and then wakes up at least once in the night. I honestly think it's just personality and temprement xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->