When do I start offering water?

jessmke

Reaction score
My DD is breastfed and we just started BLW a couple weeks ago (although she doesn't really consume much food). Should I be offering her water to drink at meal times or is it ok if her only liquid is breastmilk?

I think at that age, it's fine if she's just having breastmilk on demand. You might consider starting to offer a sippy or open cup of water to play with here and there, like if you're outside on a warm day (when it doesn't matter too much if she gets wet) or in the bath if she's sitting up well, but she probably won't really drink much or any at all yet. We really didn't start offering water until about 9 months, and even then, my daughter couldn't really even hold or lift the cup well (I'd have to help support some of the weight). She would play with it in the bath though. It was maybe close to about 12-13 months when she actually started to drink from it a bit more regularly at meal times.

I can tell from her poos that my dd is eating something now! So I offer some at meal times but she doesn't drink much

I would offer it with meals, but not expect her to actually drink much. As she is used to breast milk, she might be keener on it if you offer it a little warm at first. I've been giving it to my 10 month old since around 6 months, but it's only in the last month that she's had more than a few tiny sips when offered. She can pick up and control the cup herself now, which has made a big difference.

My LO can drink out of a miracle cup, she just needs help tipping it up but can otherwise hold it herself and bring it to her mouth. I will give her some water at dinner and see what happens, I think she'll be a bit shocked as she has only ever drank breastmilk out of the cup before!

I've always offered water from right when they started solids. I have also breastfed both of my boys on demand, but sometimes you need a little drink to wash your food down, I couldn't imagine not offering water at the same time.

Your baby won't drink much at first, but that's fine, they have to learn to drink water just like they learn to drink food. Give her a cup with meals and let her play with it, help her drink a little so she knows what the deal is. She'll pick it up quickly.

My LO is ff and is 8 months old. She has been weaning since 5.5 months with water being offered, but hated it until about 7 months. Now she drinks a fair bit. It hasn't impacted her milk quantity whatsoever.

I offered water nearly straight away with food (a small amount in an open cup). Mostly this was to gain the skill of handling and drinking from a cup and to get to know what a cup was for. My LO like to drink with food quite quickly I think (like one pp said, to wash her food down a bit or deal with a strong flavour). I noticed if I forgot to give her any at around 8months she'd stop eating after a few mouthfuls; once she had a sip she'd go back to eating, so she really liked having it there!

She seems to quite like water! The first sip surprised her a bit and she made a face and let the water all dribble out of her mouth, but once she knew what to expect she seems to enjoy water with her meals. I've just been giving her small amounts in a medicine cup so she can handle it herself. Most of the water ends up all over her, but I usually help her with the first sip so she can get a taste for it before I let her try to drink on her own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->