When do you plan to announce in your workplace / to your boss?

ButterflyX

Reaction score
Hey ladies

I am still undecided. I don't know when should I tell my workplace or even my boss I know that I don't need to tell my boss very early because of the nature of my work. Others can take over and cover up for me, so not worried about telling him that early. Some of my work colleagues (very few) are friends to me out of office (they are not close or best friends though and another lady's pregnancy' news was spread all over the organisation of 120+ people when one of them accidentally said it out loud). In other words , I am in a place with people who are not very good at keeping secrets :p

For the few ladies who are friends out of work too, I would love to tell them after the 12 weeks mark, but I worry that the same thing will happen to me like it did to the other lady. So I am not sure.

For the rest of the organisation, I would love to keep quiet for as long as possible. I don't know how long will I last. I'm really not a fan of the office's gossips.
When is everyone planning to tell their workplace?

I don't know. My coworker is pregnant, and about to pop. And bad enough I basically run a department of a clinic on my own. Can't even take a day off without carefully planning let alone call in sick. Haven't taken a vacation in like 2 years. Smh. I feel like I am going to be shunned when I tell everyone.

I'll probably wait till im 12 weeks... or iv had a scan :) we've told close family and best friends at the minute and im only about 5-6 weeks xx

I've told my work already. I've not been feeling well in the morning so been going to the toilet a lot so I had to tell them and my 1st mid wife app is in 3 weeks and I need time off for it and at my work rota is 4weeks in advance.

I think if you're planning to tell some people in your work, you should tell your boss first, out of courtesy.

I told my boss and my two line managers at just over 6 weeks, because I needed time off for early scans. I also told two good friends in work at that point. Everyone else will find out after my 12 week scan. However, I know I can trust the people I've told not to spread it around, if I didn't trust them, I wouldn't have told them early.

I told my boss at 12w3d and he had already heard about it from someone! The person who told him is not someone I had told, rather it was someone who suspected it because I didn't drink at a work event with alcohol. Honestly, I couldn't go much longer without telling bc the bloat was pretty noticeable and I the clothes I was wearing have changed.

I plan on telling my bosses around 12 weeks. I figure i won't be able to hide it much longer than that.

I know what you're saying about office gossip, but keep in mind that once you start showing, they're going to gossip about you anyway, whether you told them or not. Instead of "ooh! Did you hear So-and-so is pregnant?" They're going to be saying "I think so-and-so is pregnant. Did you see her belly in that shirt she wore yesterday?"

If you want to hold off as long as possible, just hold off until you're showing too much to hide it. Also, don't tell your work friends until you tell your boss. Since he's the one that's going to be most affected by your absence from work, it's good he hear it directly from you (not through office gossip).

I'm trying to hold out telling management as I've just put in a flexible working request and don't want them to have knowledge of pregnancy to sway any decision.
Depending on outcome of request will depend on when I start maternity. If they don't agree to it then I'll start maternity at 29 weeks and use all my leave beforehand so I can get dd started at school.
I have told one colleague because we're on same project and I've asked to keep quiet. Having a scan this week tho so if things go well we won't necessarily not be telling people. Just no official emails etc to the company

I work in a small, close knit office, and am sometimes in situations which would be dangerous or unhealthy during a pregnancy. Most of my coworkers know I had been TTC for about 2.5 years, and have been extremely supportive. Because they had been so supportive as I was TTC, I knew they will be supportive if something happens, and I told them very early on (about 6 weeks). My office mates are almost as excited as I am, I think, and them knowing means my supervisor can tweak the assignments I'm given, so there is less chance of me entering a meth lab or other toxic environment (I'm a child protective services worker).

i would love to hide it from my colleagues for as long as possible but i plan to tell my boss next week sometime as i have my scan tomorrow. i dont like to tell anyone until my boss knows because it seems unfair and i would hate it if he found out from anyone else.

i am dreading it. i really am but i just have to do it. i hate the thought of colleagues gossiping but i bet they already are.

When is everyone planning to tell their workplace?

I'm aiming to tell my headteacher (i'm a teacher) at 15 weeks, as i feel this will give him enough time to find temporary cover for the year i'll be having off. With DD i had to tell him at 11 weeks as my HG was so severe i was having to leave the classroom to be sick so needed an extra teaching assistant with me so kids weren't left on their own.

I think it depends on the situation you are in and the job you're doing! I think if you tell the boss early enough that they can make good provision for your maternity leave then they're grateful so they're nicer in the long run!!
:flower:

Last time I told my boss at 15 weeks (I work in a small dental office) but he had already been suspicious. He is very observant I guess because I wasn't showing yet (Esp in scrubs) but he said that he noticed that the way I was standing had changed.
He was good about it as I was the 16th pregnancy in his office in 15 years!! I told him it was the water there lol!
I haven't said anything yet and nobody seems to have noticed that I am taking X-rays differently yet.

I told my boss at around 6 weeks because I needed time off for an early scan at 7 weeks, plus I knew she'd be understanding.

I had my 12 week scan on Friday where it was confirmed I was 12+5 and we are having a meeting for our small office on Wednesday so I'm going to announce it to them all at the end of the meeting. I'll be 13+3.

I will just be relieved that I can finally let it out and not watch what I say or constantly hide my bump!

X

You guys are so inspiring. I'll probably tell her after my scan next week. So I can get some trainees in or even some students.

Thanks for your input ladies. After some consideration, I decided to tell my boss first, followed by the few people I choose to tell at work. When? After the 12 weeks scan is the plan :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->