When do you plan to announce?

lilmisscaviar

2 girls, 3 boys
Reaction score
When did or do you plan to announce your pregnancy? I had an early scan at 7 weeks that showed a healthy fetus and heartbeat but my doctor has just informed me that I won't be getting another ultrasound until I'm 20 weeks so I was planning on just going ahead and announcing anyways. Do you think it is too early?

I think it's personal choice there is no right or wrong time as such. Some people prefer to wait until they leave the first tri as there's less risk but others prefer to tell everyone. For me I'm very open and I like to talk about things so when I did suffer a MMC I was appreciative of all the support from people who knew so I could talk about it. We've told close family and friends so far and my work colleagues as I have to be more cautious at work. We won't do social media announcements until after the scan at 12 weeks but that's because on social media there are lots of people who I wouldn't really tell in RL until later on as they aren't close to me.
I guess it's down to how you feel you may cope either way.

My husband and I decided to tell our families today - I'm 4 weeks, 1 day.

I agree that it's a personal choice and what you feel comfortable with.

With our first: announced to family at 13 weeks; social media at 14

With our second: announced to family and social media at 9 weeks.

This one: announced to family at 4 weeks; social media at 5.

I've gotten less patient with each one :laugh2: I will admit that I started to panic that we told too early with this one, but I had to remind myself that it wouldn't change the outcome and that hopefully we'd have plenty of support should something happen. Plus my instructors had to know ASAP when the semester started at 6 weeks and figured my classmates would catch on, so I figured I'd rather get it out in the open myself rather than rumors start / it slip out accidentally on social media.

We have told our parents, our siblings, my three best friends.

We may never Facebook official announce this pregnancy, we will see!

I won't be telling work for quite a bit, although HR knows, for medical appointment purposes.

Like others have said, it's a personal choice, but I think most people wait until they're out of the 1st trimester.

I've told a handful of friends and my bosses. The current plan is to tell my mom and the father on Apr 2, coworkers on Apr 7, everyone who attends my BDay party on Apr 8, and then social media on Apr 9.

I will admit that I started to panic that we told too early with this one, but I had to remind myself that it wouldn't change the outcome and that hopefully we'd have plenty of support should something happen.

I keep doing the same thing, panicking that I've told too soon - but obviously the outcome of this pregnancy will not be because I did or didn't tell.

We told our closest friends and parents right away, I found out when I was 4 Weeks 2 days. We have tried to conceive for 1 year and we needed the support of our closest friends and I feel like I want to share the excitement now with them as well. I couldn't tell my friends before my parents, so of course we told them :)

As far as social media go, dont think I will officially announce on there.. we are not really the social media kind.

How'd you all tell friends an family?

To our friends we setup a nice message, they live all over so telling them in person wasn't an option. We added the picture of my pregnancy test and said "Well....we have some good news..."

We told our parents in person. I was meant to go in for surgery in the coming week so I simply told them "Well, I have decided not to do the surgery anymore.." they then asked why, I said "You are already becoming grandparents"

Me222 - As for how we told, with my family we have Sunday dinner together every week in which I usually have a glass or 2 of wine so it was quite obvious from the start, I just mentioned how they may have noticed I was drinking sparkling water instead of wine lol!
My dh's grandparents (they raised him) he tried to drop subtle hints but as his nana is partially deaf she didn't hear bless her so he just outright told her.
Me and my best friend do visits to each other once a month or so and have coffee and sausage butties but she has this extra strong filter coffee that has waaaaay to much caffeine in so I just told her I couldn't have that much caffeine and she knew lol!
No really interesting ways of telling people I guess just opportune moments for us!
With my first pregnancy it was my parents anniversary so I got them a card that said "happy anniversary to wonderful grandparents" which took them a while to click onto lol!

Me222 - I've only told my mom so far because she is the person besides DH that I'm closest too. I just told her in person. I haven't even told my dad yet though. I'm hoping my mom will tell him for me lol. I haven't told anyone else yet but I'm itching too, which is why I posted this question. Just wanted some opinions. Thank you ladies for shaing :)

I will probably tell the rest of my family this week. I'm not sure whether I will tell social media or not. I might wait until after the 20 week scan just because like you spunky I don't want to jinx myself in case something goes wrong.

I've announced on social media at different times with each of my pregnancies (6w with my forst, 9w with my second- after a relative was told and put it on MY social media, 21w with my third, 12w with my fourth, 15w with my fifth). I must admit that finding out the sex before announcing on social media was really, really awesome. I was able to say, "We're getting a daughter!" And we already had 2 sons, so it made it extra exciting for everybody..... But it was also a LOT less pressure since I was so far along at that time, but it was HARD not to let it slip. A few people figured it out when I was posting pregnancy/related things on Pinterest without realizing I was "outing" myself!

You do what's best for you, and definitely go ahead and tell family because it's way too hard to wait until 20 weeks along to tell them! :) At the same time, if you have a relative like my OH's cousin who posted it on my Facebook, you're gonna kinda be forced to announce before you're ready, so have a plan set just in case!

How'd you all tell friends an family?

My mom: I called her on Google Duo shortly after telling DH and showed her my tests. It took her a bit to figure it out.

My family: We told them Christmas morning. I glued a pee stick to an ornament and put it on the tree (I know, gross, but I figured it'd speak for itself). I also bought 4 mini stockings and put spelled out baby between the 4 of them (and included 2017). I hung them on the tree (pee stick ornament was in the center) and hung them a little zig zag so it wasn't totally obvious. They didn't pick up on it. At all. They finally got it when they opened their cards at the end and it had "from me, dh, DD, DS and ?" :haha:

My in laws: We put DS in a big brother shirt. We had another shirt over it to allow time for everyone to get there and things to settle. Once we took it off it took forever for anyone to notice, even though they were picking him up and everything. They only read "super cool" on his shirt and never noticed "big bro" after that. About 40 minutes of him running around with that shirt they finally started noticing.

I think it's totally up to how you feel and who you want to know. I definitely approach it from the perspective of who would I want to know and have support from if things didn't go as planned? (And who would I not want to have that conversation with?)

We'll probably tell my family about 7-8 weeks. My parents just sold their house and are moving this month so all is a little crazy there. They live overseas anyway so it would be over the phone. We'll wait though until they're moved and settled a bit in a few weeks. We currently have no relationship with my MIL and step-FIL (our choice) but we'll still let them by letter know after our scan just so they hear it from us first and not from other family members. Other close family and my work we'll tell around the same time, after my scan. And then everyone else sometime after that.

I remember with my first wanting to tell everyone earlier but I'm not so bothered this time. It's nice having it be our secret, especially since this will be our last baby.

Close family knew at 5 (I found out 7dpo).
Social media was 8 weeks.

My husband and I announced this pregnancy the day we found out. So on Sunday lol
We were just so excited about being pregnant after a year and a half of trying, then we totally gave up thinking that he couldn't get me pregnant and 4 months later here I am pregnant with my 6th and his first. I think you tell people when the time is right for you and your husband.

I found out at 4wks. We told our parents at 6wks +6 after my first US, our work at 7wks +4 and We will finally be announcing it on FB tomorrow BF wanted to wait till I was 12wks. So excited to finally announce it. how are yall doing it when you go public or how did you do it"?

Close family know as We had fertility treatment so they sort of knew it was coming. My DD knows which worries me a little as its early and she found out by accident and with me having bad ms. We were going to wait till 12 weeks. Just not mentioning lots in front of her. Will big it up after 12wks if all's ok. Had a early scan at 7 weeks so told everyone (close family) after.

Were telling family at easter . Mostly because ill be in a wedding in june and my mom and sister need to know so my bridesmaid dress will accommodate my belly

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->