When do you pump?

AK89

Reaction score
What time of day do you express milk? I've been pumping once a day now for a couple of weeks but I've still not figured out exactly when is best to do it.. I always do it after her morning feed but exactly how long after is where I'm going wrong! I got 4 oz once and 3 1/2 a couple of times but then I've only had 2 more often than not.. so it's frustrating 'cause I know I CAN get 3 1/2 to 4 but it just depends on when I do it! And I can't remember what I did those days.. :blush:

I think it works best when I have a shower just before, but it's not always possible to do this 'cause I often have baby on my own at this time :wacko:

What do you guys do?

You should be pumping around the same time that the expressed milk will be given. So if your baby will be getting a midmorning and an afternoon feed away from you, then you will need to pump during those times, and mark the bags with the time. Breastmilk composition changes throughout the day so its good to give milk expressed at the right time of day.

Why are you pumping? If you feed and then pump you won't get a full feed out of it, average is 0.5-2oz. If I wanted to make a bottle so i could go out when lo was younger I would pump one side while nursing on the other side, it would take 3-4 sessions to make a 4 oz bottle

Just to save up for times when I'm not here.. I'm doing it anywhere between half an hour to an hour after a feed 'cause I read on a few different websites when I Googled it that that's the best time to do it..!

I always found that pumping during the first feed in the morning worked best. I pumped one side whilst lo fed off the other. If you pump at the same time everyday you will increase your milk supply for that time of day so will be able to pump more.

You always get the most milk first thing in the morning... Just be committed - I pumped with DD1 and ended up with huge oversupply in my breasts... we were trying to get her to take a bottle so all that milk would end up being thrown out but after 4 weeks we just gave up - I leaked constantly :(.

If you can pump one bottle total per day for a stash that is great. Be really careful pumping so early on, you don't want to end up with an oversupply as that can lead to plugged ducts/mastitis. Generally it is recommended not to pump until lo is six weeks so your supply has time to regulate a bit first :)

I get most by pumping around 5/6am. I feed him off one boob then get up and pump the other. I use the expressed milk for when I am out and about and bfeeding might not be so easy or if we have to go for long journey to visit family. Some of it I freeze. It's really just for emergency back up. But that's generally the only time of day I can get 3/3.5oz. Also I try to feed from the boob that isnt so good & express from the good one that generally gives more milk.
X

All. the. freaking. time.

Or at least that's what it feels like...

I had a low supply with my DS and had to combi-feed so when my DD was born this year I was desperate to be able to ebf and I started pumping immediately after my milk came in. She would feed on one side and as soon as she was done I would pump the other side. I was hoping to increase my supply this way (after having a low supply I would have loved an over-supply!) but unfortunately after a few weeks it seemed to level out and drop again so I was only producing what she needed and the pumping didn't help at all.

Once my DD started sleeping a longer stretch through the night (6 - 8 hours) I started pumping 2 - 3 hours after her last feed and put whatever I could pump in the freezer to build up a stash. I'm glad I did that because at 8 months old my supply is dropping and I'm barely able to pump so my freezer stash (which is almost gone) is the only thing that has been allowing me to give ebm instead of formula (will have to start supplementing soon though...)

Now that my DD has started eating solids and dropping feeds I continue to pump 2 - 3 times a day during the times she would normally feed to try and maintain my supply but it just keeps dropping....

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question, but I just wanted to say that I think having a freezer stash is a great thing and that pumping doesn't necessarily mean you'll have an oversupply.

good luck :flower:

I pump every 3 hours because my baby is in the NICU. However, I spoke to a LC and she recommended to me to make sure I pump after every feed when my baby girl comes home. It will not only keep my milk going but give extra room to build up a supply in the deep freezer.

My baby already eats 1 ounce every 3 hours. She is still a preemie, that will only go up to about 2-3 ounces when she is in "newborn" stage. Especially when she is cluster feeding, that will be 2-3 ounces every 2 hours instead of 3. The last thing I would want to do is not produce enough milk and starve her.

If you can pump one bottle total per day for a stash that is great. Be really careful pumping so early on, you don't want to end up with an oversupply as that can lead to plugged ducts/mastitis. Generally it is recommended not to pump until lo is six weeks so your supply has time to regulate a bit first :)

I pump every 3 hours because I have to for the past 5 weeks. No mastitis or plugged milk ducts here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->