When do you start?

mernie

Mom and Pregnant with #2!
Reaction score
On Brianna's pediatricians advice we started her on baby rice/cereal a little over a week ago. She never told us how much to give her so we've been doing 3 teaspoons with her lunch bottle.

But when do we move on and start giving her puree as well? She's never said anything about what to do as far as all this weaning goes just told us to start it and left it up to us. We're new and neither of us know what to do! :dohh:I've tried calling her to find out but she seems like she just can't be bothered with it :hissy:

So any advice on when to start her on the puree? thanks in advance!

Doctors here used to recommend baby rice at 4 months and first stage baby foods at 6 months..

Now they all recommend different things but I think generally you go from baby rice to other baby cereals and then by 2 months after starting with baby rice you should be able to introduce purees.

Veggies first, then fruit, then mix meat with veg I think.. then desserts.. I'm not 100% sure on the order aside from veggies first then fruit though!! And that you have to mix the meat and veg if you're using jarred foods at first..

Is there a reason they recommended you do it so early? The recommendation here is 4-6mo..but the closer to 6mo the better. Orange veggies are a good first one for purees, then green veggies, then fruit. though really it's ok to do fruits mixed i nthere too, you don't have to do it in that order. Best thing to do is to just make sure you wait atleast 3-4 days between trying new foods so you can be sure they aren't allergic.

My HV also recommend I start weaning my LO now as hes showing all the signs ... She told me to start with the lunch feed and give him his usual milk then 1-2 teaspoons of baby rice for a week or so to get him used to it then move onto mixing in maybe a puree or two.

She said to use the same puree for a couple of days and then move onto the next puree for a couple of days after that to get him used to the tastes and to let his bowels adjust ,and to not overwhelm him with tastes I guess.

Then after that start with the breakfast meal too ...

Good Luck

:hug:

Alot of peds recommend earlier because of the increase in reflux we have nowadays... And alot of babies drink too much formula, which plays into the reflux scenario... I know of peds here who have recommended rice cereal at 2 months because of that. The HV's here still go by the 4-6 months, but I honestly have not spoken to any ped or doc who goes by that... and any one i've spoken to at work goes by earlier weaning too.

I know with Jasmine at 2 months she was drinking over 40oz and that is when the reflux started and flared up. It simply wasnt enough.

The main thing is knowing your family allergies, if you know of something that you or your oh or other family members are allergic too, then its best to stay away from that for awhile.

Personally, I gave a tiny bit of veg or fruit mixed with the rice cereal at 4 months. (I started rice cereal at 3 months). And then at 5 months I added in another meal, so she had a rice cereal meal in the morning and a fruit or veg meal in the evening.

Peas, carrots, sweetpotatoe and squash are the best veggies to start with and are the easiest to digest.

I didn't wean Jasmine until she was 6months old so I can't really help but we started with half a jar of food for her dinner, Jessica will be the same unless she shows signs of needing to be weaned beforehand

Ive been weaning amelie since 19 weeks and shes been on 3 meals a day for about a month so I defo didnt take 2 months on rice only before I introduced veg and fruit :\

everybody does it differently. Just do what you think is best. Im not bothering with baby ride at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->